Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Satisfied after reading your problems
By satisfied

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine used to tow a loaded car hauler all over the country. I have driven it places I won`t take my big 4x4. It now has 240000 miles and still going. Regular maintenance on schedule. Never had any major problems untill this year. Radiator, water pump ,and fan all decided to commit suicide within a two month period. The mechanic that replaced everything was amazed at the condition under the circumstance of the heavy duty usuage. Everything was factory except alt., batt., brakes,the usual maintenance parts. One rear axle is going bad and I will be replacing it this week. I have driven this through creeks with water up to the doors and up and down mountains fully loaded. I won`t have anything else.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room. Comfortable. Drives well, and pulls well. Goes anywhere I want to take it.

Suggested Improvements

More power. Better brakes. Better rear end. Move ash tray to more usuable spot. Raise vent tubes for rear end, front end, and transmission. Accesory wiring for fog lights, driving and back up lights, winch, power source to recharge batteries on trailer. Lower the price so I can buy a newer one.

Tahoe is the alpha dog of SUVs
By Bob

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have to say my Tahoe LT (fully loaded) has been a great, great, vehicle. Drivetrain and 5.7 Vortec engine delivers. Plenty of room for people and my Siberian Husky in the back too (who loves the rear A/C) Aggressive BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As (functionally large but not monster truck silly) make Tahoe the big dog in the yard. A balanced truck with Bilstein gas charged shocks that rides like a dream on or off the road. Love the 4WD, towing capabilities, and the heated leather seats. I may not get the best gas mileage at $4.35/gal for Premium, but the power is there when I need it, and will safely win the physics game in the unfortunate event there is a collision.

Favorite Features

Outstanding visibility, massive size, large comfy interior, power and road accelleration to spare. Drivetrain is robust and reliable. Easy to maintain, and easy access to engine. In winter storms, This big dog leads the sled team while the other SUV's sit on the sidleine (or spinning their wheels)

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to improve the plastic intake manifold design so that it is not prone to gasket leakage (leads to coolant issues). Luckily, it was under warranty.

Chevy on top
By tmacmvp1

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I bought my Tahoe about 3 years ago in a as-is condition. It had 80k miles on it at the time. It now has 130k miles. I'm telling you, when I'm driving this truck I feel like the king of the road. Its 5.7 engine chugs the gas but trully delivers when need to. Only problem I had was a bad fuel pump. It had problems turning on when the motor was cold. little by little it got worst until finally I replaced it. cost me $255 with labor (got a deal). Other than that it is comfortable and very roomy! I'm 19 so that actually comes really in handy on the weekends lol. Just being a teenager sorry for the comment. Very good design and reliable at the same time.

Favorite Features

Bulky exterior design, many aftermarket parts that you can purchase for this vehicle, leaving customization without boundries. Chrome bumpers. Spacy, roomy interior and cargo space in the back. Some people say the brakes are bad but I actually think it has really good brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pumps cannot go out so easily. Mechanics recommend to not let your fuel go below 1/4 in your tank. Knowing that the mpg is horrible, you shouldnt have to hit the gas stations sooner then you need to.

Great Vehicle
By Happy

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

This vehicle has been good for everything. Very comfortable on long trips. Never had any major mechanical problems. Hauls large equipment weights. Plenty of space. I think it is great

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride and space no mechanical problems

Lemon?
By Renestel

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I've been reading through these in hopes that I'd get some ideas for what all is going on with mine right now. I bought mine used in 2000-48,000 miles. Granted, I've had the car for almost 8 years. It has been with me for a while. BUT, I've gone through an air conditioning system, 3 fuel pumps, an alternator, ball joints, pigtails, and countless times of not starting, or dying at stop lights. It's at 110,000 right now and I've had it in the shop three times in the last two months. No one can figure out what's going on. Every time I drive it I'm glad I get to my destination if I actually get there. Very unpredicatble vehicle. In cold weather, it totally has a mind of its own.

Favorite Features

When the fuel injection actually works properly, Its an awesome ride. Taken it for several very fun joy rides.

Suggested Improvements

I could go on forever.