Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

My Chevy Tahoe
By me2uguys

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in 2004 from original owner. No major repairs until 2006, new alternator. 2009 New Intake Gasket. This truck had 87K miles when I purchased it. It now has 275K miles and she's still driving like she did when I bought it. I am now in the process of new shocks, but its done its job and more since I first bought it six years ago! Great, safe SUV, lots of room and I have towed horses with my truck and it still is doing fine. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Split bench seat with cloth interior and lumbar seating in front! Nice on long trips! Four wheel drive in those Minnesota winters. Hardy vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Rear a/c in all.

Not a bad vehicle so far
By devman

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

Favorite Features

Love the opportunity to upgrade parts, never had a customizable vehicle before. The room and the authority on the road (especially in the winter, 4-wheel drive works great.) I love the looks of this truck, even more when it's clean!

Suggested Improvements

The seats are comfy, but made for shorter people, and the heated seat's power transistor burns out so easy (this is a very common problem.) All the doors need to have hinges replaced, which I think is ridiculous. I feel that is has sub-par gas mileage, but I am used to driving a car.

Unstopable. Period.
By Rjh6000

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love how from the back of the front seats to the front bumper, every single part of this rig is a SILVERADO. This thing is tough as nails, having towed trailers over 10,000 lbs more times than i can count, countless trips across the country at 85+mph speeds... I have replaced a battery, tires and brake pads. Gets between 17 and 21 MPG depending on drive. (gets 5 in town though) at 187,000 miles, can still do a wicked burnout! Its a loaded LT with the locking differential and manual transfer case. I have driven through snow past the front bumper and it just keeps going. (Michelin LTX MS's help) and its still smooth and quiet. Everything works. Like a Rock.

Favorite Features

No bones about it, its silverado underpinnings through and through. Very Fast, Efficient, Air conditioning will freeze you out of the truck. Heater will make hell look cold. Leather is soft and tough. Bose stereo is stellar!

Suggested Improvements

What is with the cup holder in front of the largest HVAC vent in the truck? Very sick of cold beverages getting hot and hot ones getting cold.

Couldnt Get BETTER!
By SkiGuy1982

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Traded a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition for this 99 Tahoe. WOW! Had 28k on it when I got it, and now has 145k. In that time, Tires (once) Front Pads (Once) Intake Gaskets (at 100k, Anyone surprised) battery (this winter) and that's it. I run it hard - Heavy trailers, High speed long distance cruises (80+) and its never been a problem. Just replaced a headlamp. I have NO complaints at all. She just runs. The mileage has been incredible to almost unbelievable. 20mpg cruising at 75. It really sucks it up in town at 7mpg though... Locking Differential and manual transfer case are really nice.

Favorite Features

The fact that this vintage tahoe shares every part with a silverado from behind the driver seat to the front bumper. Its a truck without a doubt, and it works like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

What a stupid place for the cupholder... I don't like my cold beverages getting to boiling temps in the winter.

It gets you where ever you have to +....
By Kmkspfg

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This winters has been amazing hitting 6 foot drifts in roads and still going . well besides a broken grill and a after break down of distributor cap and rotor. it was fine. now the check engine light is back on but running fine but i cant afford to keep repairing.. tempted to trade for a f-150 or a dodge magnum awd. and thats bad because im a chevy guy. its a wonderful truck other words besides a few problems.. gets around way better than jeeps and what not....

Favorite Features

heated seats (always feels good)

Suggested Improvements

cup holder in front of vent stinks ( warm pops ok but hot pop is gross)