1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
ready for an upgrade
By Nanni on 01/08/10 11:52 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

I bought my tahoe because i fell in love with the looks of it. It is very easy to keep clean due to the dark colors but had to replace a cracked head and $1600 in other engine repair work in less than two months of purchasing. Now it needs an O2 sensor, tie rods, ball joints, the oil gauges drops to 0 when stopped and it's not the oil pump. It's been an ongoing money pit.

not likeng so far
By POS on 10/23/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rides and drives good. Don't use it for towing just normal driving. I have had it for about 9 months and have 116,000 on it. It had 106,000 when I got it. I have spent about 800 dollars on it (02 sensors,idler arm,Pitman arm,still needs tie-rods and balljoints + had exhaust work done twice.) and now it is in the shop again. The cam gear and distributor gear are bad. about 1,700 for parts and labor. $850 just for parts. Cant wait to git it fixed. Might make a good trade-in for something else. This is not a good dependable vehicle. Would not recommend unless u have money to burn!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 tahoe
By Smallie6 on 08/30/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought truck last summer. Has 92K miles. I needed a good tow vehicle for hauling my boat to the lake. It is very good at hauling the boat. That is the good news. The bad news in the last three months It needed a new transmission, water pump, and intake gaskets. I am afraid to drive it because I cant afford any more repairs. Very high cost of ownership.

LEMON !!
By BigCharlie54 on 08/15/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle from my brother- in-law in June of 2008. Given it had 200,000 miles on it. It was driven easily and well maintenanced. (most of miles being highway miles) Anyway, within the time period we've put app. 5000 miles on it. In November it through a rod and the engine was shot. We bought a new Engine out of NAPA for about 2,200. A GM dealership installed the engine. After that we've went through two intake gaskets, and Now it blew a head gasket!! I bought it for $6000 and have put almost $5000 into it! What a disgrace to a great American Auto Company !!

Best Buy Ever!
By boxkicker0586 on 08/10/09 17:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

My Tahoe Has about 380,000 miles on it. The engine is still original and transmission has been replaced before I got it. It now has a Jasper transmission in it. I love everything about this truck. It runs so well and drives awesome. I really don't ever plan on getting rid of it. All I know is chevy built an amazing truck and there is not one flaw. Just keep up with all your maintenance and these trucks will last a very long time. I love my tahoe!

Cash for clunkers??? NO WAY
By BowtiesRule! on 08/04/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Best truck ever. My parents bought it in 01' used with 62k on her. We replaced the fuel pump, all u-joints, and little stuff. After that, she has been running great. Now I just bought her from my parents for 3k and man, what a steal. This truck is still mint condition/unmolested/virgin/etc. I will never add anything to it. Stock radio still works great, speakers are great. This truck is just flat out amazing. Now, I just replaced the front u-joints and the rear upper ball joint, but didn't bother me. Truck has 190k on her and still has a lot of life in it. I love the 350 5.7l vortec. One of the best engines gm ever made. Strong and powerful!

1999 Tahoe LS 4WD Gladiator Conversion
By Adam on 06/29/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Replaced intake manifold gasket, $250.00. Other than that excellent vehicle, 18 mpg highway cruise at 65, in town well it's a V8. Superb ride comfort, turning radius is incredible for a big truck. Interior noise or lack of is excellent at 70mph plus. Wife loves driving it, big and safe, engine runs excellent. I bought it with 55K on it figuring it would be done at 100K, I have no doubt it will go to 150K and beyond. Parts everywhere for these and their isn't a mechanic who can't work on them if needed. Just a great roomy vehicle, that makes an American proud to pull up to the pump.

best thing ever
By best thing ever on 05/18/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

have my truck now for 2 years put over 30,000miles on it with no issue. pulled a 7x16 trailer from ny to fl with 4 sports bike like nothing. truck now has 129000 miles on her and i think i can get 300000 out of her ...best truck ever

It won't die
By Marine Vet on 03/28/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in 2003 used with 38,000 miles and just turned 147,000. This vehicle makes several trips per year to various location of 1000 to 2000 miles in distance. It is like driving in your favorite lounge chair sitting in your living room. Even at 147,000, with regular care it still averages 18- 19 mpg on trips. Replaced fuel pump, alternator and had Major tune up at 95,000 and rebuilt rear end and axles due to bearing wear. After looking at new and "slightly?" used replacements, I will drive this one till it won't move any more. (300,000 maybe?)

Good LUCK slowing this rig down!
By 5700Power on 03/05/09 16:59 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Wow, Outside of routine maintenance and a fuel pump, I have NEVER been stranded and have never had an ounce of trouble. Tows with authority, Cruises the highway with ease and is more comfortable than just about anything out there! Electronics are top notch, Mileage is FAR better than I expected... 21 on a long highway trip. 15 pulling a 5,000 lb boat. (NOTE Only gets 6-7 in town) Ten years old and showing no signs of slowing at 140,000 miles. This truck has a place in my garage forever. Leather shows no wear, no rust (even under the doors) just a bullet proof monster that does ANYTHING you ask. Bought it at 40k and now has 140... I bet i can get 350,000+