Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Prime Example Of American Trucks!
By heavychevy99

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd go round with a tahoe. My first was a 97 and was an excellent rig! My current tahoe is a 99 and basicly reflects the 97 i had but has a few more cool options, Heated seats, Rear AC for the kiddos, This rig is hard to beat for the money spent. I paid $3800 for this 99 and it has 170K on it and still going strong. The Engine performs excellent, has great power and tows my 7000lb boat all the time. I read a few reviews of people bashing the transmissions in these tahoes but if you take care if it it will return the favor ( I.E. DO NOT TOW HEAVY LOADS IN OVER DRIVE! ) and treat it to a nice trans cooler and it will last forever. All in all this is an excellent SUV for the money!

Favorite Features

The Vortec 5.7 has plenty of pulling power and still gets reasonable mpg. The rear AC is a blessing for the little ones.

Good Hauler But Had to Go
By rangermutt

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Tahoe 4x4 LT used in 2001 with 64,000 miles for less than 1/2 what it sold new. I traded it in this summer with 154,000 after I got tired of replacing parts for the second or third time including: Anti lock brakes went out at 60,000; driver window motor 3x; driver outside door handle 3x; blower fan; intake manifold gasket; air conditioner pump; power steering sensor 2x; radiator; water pump; vanity mirror; console latch; distributor rotor 6x (I was stranded on the interstate last Thanksgiving when the rotor failed again). The straw that broke the camel's back was a misfire on the #4 cylinder that neither I nor the dealer could remedy.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, barn doors, towing capability, cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

How about anti-lock brakes that work when the 4 wheel drive is engaged? When you need it the most they don't even function. One of Chevy's dirty little secrets.

Not a bad vehicle so far
By devman

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

Favorite Features

Love the opportunity to upgrade parts, never had a customizable vehicle before. The room and the authority on the road (especially in the winter, 4-wheel drive works great.) I love the looks of this truck, even more when it's clean!

Suggested Improvements

The seats are comfy, but made for shorter people, and the heated seat's power transistor burns out so easy (this is a very common problem.) All the doors need to have hinges replaced, which I think is ridiculous. I feel that is has sub-par gas mileage, but I am used to driving a car.

Unstopable. Period.
By Rjh6000

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love how from the back of the front seats to the front bumper, every single part of this rig is a SILVERADO. This thing is tough as nails, having towed trailers over 10,000 lbs more times than i can count, countless trips across the country at 85+mph speeds... I have replaced a battery, tires and brake pads. Gets between 17 and 21 MPG depending on drive. (gets 5 in town though) at 187,000 miles, can still do a wicked burnout! Its a loaded LT with the locking differential and manual transfer case. I have driven through snow past the front bumper and it just keeps going. (Michelin LTX MS's help) and its still smooth and quiet. Everything works. Like a Rock.

Favorite Features

No bones about it, its silverado underpinnings through and through. Very Fast, Efficient, Air conditioning will freeze you out of the truck. Heater will make hell look cold. Leather is soft and tough. Bose stereo is stellar!

Suggested Improvements

What is with the cup holder in front of the largest HVAC vent in the truck? Very sick of cold beverages getting hot and hot ones getting cold.

Couldnt Get BETTER!
By SkiGuy1982

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Traded a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition for this 99 Tahoe. WOW! Had 28k on it when I got it, and now has 145k. In that time, Tires (once) Front Pads (Once) Intake Gaskets (at 100k, Anyone surprised) battery (this winter) and that's it. I run it hard - Heavy trailers, High speed long distance cruises (80+) and its never been a problem. Just replaced a headlamp. I have NO complaints at all. She just runs. The mileage has been incredible to almost unbelievable. 20mpg cruising at 75. It really sucks it up in town at 7mpg though... Locking Differential and manual transfer case are really nice.

Favorite Features

The fact that this vintage tahoe shares every part with a silverado from behind the driver seat to the front bumper. Its a truck without a doubt, and it works like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

What a stupid place for the cupholder... I don't like my cold beverages getting to boiling temps in the winter.