1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Prime Example Of American Trucks!
By heavychevy99 on 08/11/11 00:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd go round with a tahoe. My first was a 97 and was an excellent rig! My current tahoe is a 99 and basicly reflects the 97 i had but has a few more cool options, Heated seats, Rear AC for the kiddos, This rig is hard to beat for the money spent. I paid $3800 for this 99 and it has 170K on it and still going strong. The Engine performs excellent, has great power and tows my 7000lb boat all the time. I read a few reviews of people bashing the transmissions in these tahoes but if you take care if it it will return the favor ( I.E. DO NOT TOW HEAVY LOADS IN OVER DRIVE! ) and treat it to a nice trans cooler and it will last forever. All in all this is an excellent SUV for the money!

Good Hauler But Had to Go
By rangermutt on 08/04/11 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Tahoe 4x4 LT used in 2001 with 64,000 miles for less than 1/2 what it sold new. I traded it in this summer with 154,000 after I got tired of replacing parts for the second or third time including: Anti lock brakes went out at 60,000; driver window motor 3x; driver outside door handle 3x; blower fan; intake manifold gasket; air conditioner pump; power steering sensor 2x; radiator; water pump; vanity mirror; console latch; distributor rotor 6x (I was stranded on the interstate last Thanksgiving when the rotor failed again). The straw that broke the camel's back was a misfire on the #4 cylinder that neither I nor the dealer could remedy.

Not a bad vehicle so far
By devman on 07/08/10 00:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

Unstopable. Period.
By Rjh6000 on 07/01/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love how from the back of the front seats to the front bumper, every single part of this rig is a SILVERADO. This thing is tough as nails, having towed trailers over 10,000 lbs more times than i can count, countless trips across the country at 85+mph speeds... I have replaced a battery, tires and brake pads. Gets between 17 and 21 MPG depending on drive. (gets 5 in town though) at 187,000 miles, can still do a wicked burnout! Its a loaded LT with the locking differential and manual transfer case. I have driven through snow past the front bumper and it just keeps going. (Michelin LTX MS's help) and its still smooth and quiet. Everything works. Like a Rock.

Couldnt Get BETTER!
By SkiGuy1982 on 02/17/10 17:33 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Traded a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition for this 99 Tahoe. WOW! Had 28k on it when I got it, and now has 145k. In that time, Tires (once) Front Pads (Once) Intake Gaskets (at 100k, Anyone surprised) battery (this winter) and that's it. I run it hard - Heavy trailers, High speed long distance cruises (80+) and its never been a problem. Just replaced a headlamp. I have NO complaints at all. She just runs. The mileage has been incredible to almost unbelievable. 20mpg cruising at 75. It really sucks it up in town at 7mpg though... Locking Differential and manual transfer case are really nice.

It gets you where ever you have to +....
By Kmkspfg on 01/21/10 04:13 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This winters has been amazing hitting 6 foot drifts in roads and still going . well besides a broken grill and a after break down of distributor cap and rotor. it was fine. now the check engine light is back on but running fine but i cant afford to keep repairing.. tempted to trade for a f-150 or a dodge magnum awd. and thats bad because im a chevy guy. its a wonderful truck other words besides a few problems.. gets around way better than jeeps and what not....

not likeng so far
By POS on 10/23/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rides and drives good. Don't use it for towing just normal driving. I have had it for about 9 months and have 116,000 on it. It had 106,000 when I got it. I have spent about 800 dollars on it (02 sensors,idler arm,Pitman arm,still needs tie-rods and balljoints + had exhaust work done twice.) and now it is in the shop again. The cam gear and distributor gear are bad. about 1,700 for parts and labor. $850 just for parts. Cant wait to git it fixed. Might make a good trade-in for something else. This is not a good dependable vehicle. Would not recommend unless u have money to burn!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 tahoe
By Smallie6 on 08/30/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought truck last summer. Has 92K miles. I needed a good tow vehicle for hauling my boat to the lake. It is very good at hauling the boat. That is the good news. The bad news in the last three months It needed a new transmission, water pump, and intake gaskets. I am afraid to drive it because I cant afford any more repairs. Very high cost of ownership.

LEMON !!
By BigCharlie54 on 08/15/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle from my brother- in-law in June of 2008. Given it had 200,000 miles on it. It was driven easily and well maintenanced. (most of miles being highway miles) Anyway, within the time period we've put app. 5000 miles on it. In November it through a rod and the engine was shot. We bought a new Engine out of NAPA for about 2,200. A GM dealership installed the engine. After that we've went through two intake gaskets, and Now it blew a head gasket!! I bought it for $6000 and have put almost $5000 into it! What a disgrace to a great American Auto Company !!

Cash for clunkers??? NO WAY
By BowtiesRule! on 08/04/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Best truck ever. My parents bought it in 01' used with 62k on her. We replaced the fuel pump, all u-joints, and little stuff. After that, she has been running great. Now I just bought her from my parents for 3k and man, what a steal. This truck is still mint condition/unmolested/virgin/etc. I will never add anything to it. Stock radio still works great, speakers are great. This truck is just flat out amazing. Now, I just replaced the front u-joints and the rear upper ball joint, but didn't bother me. Truck has 190k on her and still has a lot of life in it. I love the 350 5.7l vortec. One of the best engines gm ever made. Strong and powerful!