Used 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Love it
By Taylor

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV

I bought the truck in 2000 with 78000. This Tahoe is a rare one with the 6.5L diesel. Fuel mileage is great for this size truck (17 city, 20 Hwy), with a 3:43 rear, compared to a 1996 gas Tahoe I owned. The looks are great, and I still love this truck. I had a fuel injector replaced under warranty at 98,000, and other at 199,750. I now have 200,250 miles on the truck. besides general maintenance, I have had the alternator rebuilt, and replaced the window wiper motor. This truck has been so much fun at towing, and off road. I hope this truck last another 10 years.

Room of the interior, MPG, relibity, and looks.

Barns doors on rear, the post is too large, and block your vision to the rear.

Tahoe Strong
By Steve-O

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoy my Tahoe. I purchased it because I need a 4wd vehicle to get me to and from the fire station during snowstorms. I have been impressed so far. Besides the gas mileage, I'm very happy with it so far. It has over 120,000 miles on it and I feel comfortable driving it across country. Although I am a light foot when I drive on the highway, I still only average 17. That said, I love it and I bought it knowing what kind of milage a 5.7 v8 gets.

Comfy seats. I'm 6'6" and 230 lbs and sit very well in the truck. Plenty of room for my other 6'6" friends to sit in back.

I'm not displeased with anything. Great build.

So far so good
By ehsande

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1998 Tahoe in 2006 with 99,000 miles on it. I think the GM/Chevys of the 1990s are great looking vehicles and always wanted one. Being that I bought it with 99,000 miles, there were some repairs to be done at 100,000, one being the water pump. I recently had work done on the brakes. Gas mileage can actually be quite good. I'm a fairly "soft" driver, and have gotten nearly 23mpg hwy with cruise control. I was in Montana when I first bought it, and often got 16-17mpg "city", though that has plunged since moving to a big city with lots of wasted gas at intersections.

Comfortable seats, good sound system, plush suspension, great looking vehicle. Auto 4WD was great when driving on snow-packed city streets in Montana.

None.

Solid as a rock
By pman

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new in 1998. I currently have 115K miles. It will go just about anywhere, and it has. From the sand dunes in Baja, river gorges in the Anza Borrego desert, winter storms in Big Bear, it just goes, and in comfort. Repairs: Around 60K miles exhaust manifold gaskets, Cat, fuel injectors clogged. (ARCO may be a bit cheaper but it clogged my injectors in first 50-60K miles, while last 60-70K miles I've used better gas, no problems, still going strong). About 100K miles, fuel pump, wiper motor. Just had first A/C service, still on original shocks. First major tuneup at 90K miles! No change in drivability since new, hold up well to dogs, kids, idiots in parking lots, etc.

4WD Low lock, just don't wait until you're already stuck to use it! Very comfortable heated seats and defogging mirrors, great when the air temp drops below the dew point. Comfortable freeway cruising, even with M/S tires. It'll run with a ton of bricks or a full load of passangers just as easy.

Back windows should roll down all the way. Separate driver/passanger climate zones would really be nice.

Best in class
By Chevy Chase

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Having owned my 1998 Tahoe for ten years now, and continuously working it every day, I would have expectd it to break down around 100000 miles. Now I'm pushing 200,000, and the only thing that ever went wrong with it was a radiator leak at 193,000 miles. I'm still riding on the same shocks I did when I drove it out of the dealer ten years ago. The exterior has held up under the toughest conditions: from the Arizona desert heat to the humidity of Atlanta, Florida, and St. Louis. I have no reason to complain whatsoever.

Magnificently designed interior. The 1998 Tahoe has the most comfortable seats of any vehicle on the road today or ten years ago.

None.