1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Bought in 2010 & Still Going Strong!
By ckingwevl on 12/20/12 08:32 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I had an opportunity to purchase my 4dr LT in 2010 with only 65k miles on it. Today it has 85k on it and it's still going strong. The normal things are wearing out that I would expect to on a 15 year old truck, but I have not had to put in any major repairs thus far. The previous owner was a meticulous maintainer of the vehicle and I am continuing the trend. Comfort wise you can not beat it. Recently drove 11 hours to the Big Bend area of TX. Did mostly offroad rock and dirt roads while there and she was a beast. Towing is good, but upgraded shocks are recommended to distribute weight better. As for brute strength, I would take this tahoe over a new one any day!

Next time I buy a Toyota
By elkhornsun on 11/04/11 13:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Tahoe coming off a lease with 28K miles. At 32K I found that the rotors needed to be replaced and that Chevrolet had put undersized rotors on its trucks up until 1998, and corrected the problem in 1998. Stopping distance is 50% greater than average for the Tahoe even with no passengers and no load and not pulling a trailer. I bought it to tow a trailer but with the terrible brakes I have avoided using it for this purpose. Can only use a proprietary CD player which costs 4x as much and mine broke within a year. In first 100k miles I had to replace the breaks twice, rotors once, manifold gasket, fuel injectors, AC compressor, idler, and the front tie rods.

Built like a tank!
By Kara on 08/09/10 17:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

On 7-31-2010, we were rear ended by a tour bus that was doing AT least 60 on the interstate, we weren't up to speed yet, the bus pushed us several feet, that truck and the good grace of God saved our lives! there were 5 of us in that truck including my son, I'm so thankful we were in it instead of my car! We loved that truck and will miss it. We are looking for another in as good of shape as it was, I'm thinking of trading my car for one!

12 years, 157,000 miles, 1 owner
By FC on 07/31/10 12:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The title speaks for itself. I'm the original owner of this truck. Bought it back in '98 with 11 miles on it. It now is pushing 160,000 and shows no signs of slowing down. I plan on keeping this truck until the wheels fall off. Every time I think of selling or trading it in for something with better mileage, it proves its usefulness, whether it be hauling a load of furniture, pulling a stump in the backyard, towing a trailer, or it snows! I could go on and on about the virtues of my Tahoe. Its taken me across the country many times, and still goes to the grocery store and work every day. Finally starting to show a little rust on the rockers, but that's to be expected.

One owner Tahoe served us well!
By supreme on 06/02/10 16:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new back in '98 and so far I've put almost 200,000 miles on it. I love it! I've owned many cars in my life and I haven't owned any of them for as long as my Tahoe has lasted (Ford, Pontiac, other Chevys, Dodge, and Buicks). The 350 V8 is bulletproof; the only problems have been with accessories (brakes, steering, electrical). It is horrible on gas but what do you expect for such a large vehicle? It's taken my family on many cross-country trips and performs without skipping a beat in the snow. My kids are all grown and moved out and I still can't let it go! I plan on driving this truck until it dies in my driveway. Buy one and you can count on many enjoyable miles!

Love it
By Taylor on 04/22/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV

I bought the truck in 2000 with 78000. This Tahoe is a rare one with the 6.5L diesel. Fuel mileage is great for this size truck (17 city, 20 Hwy), with a 3:43 rear, compared to a 1996 gas Tahoe I owned. The looks are great, and I still love this truck. I had a fuel injector replaced under warranty at 98,000, and other at 199,750. I now have 200,250 miles on the truck. besides general maintenance, I have had the alternator rebuilt, and replaced the window wiper motor. This truck has been so much fun at towing, and off road. I hope this truck last another 10 years.

Tahoe Strong
By Steve-O on 10/03/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoy my Tahoe. I purchased it because I need a 4wd vehicle to get me to and from the fire station during snowstorms. I have been impressed so far. Besides the gas mileage, I'm very happy with it so far. It has over 120,000 miles on it and I feel comfortable driving it across country. Although I am a light foot when I drive on the highway, I still only average 17. That said, I love it and I bought it knowing what kind of milage a 5.7 v8 gets.

So far so good
By ehsande on 08/21/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1998 Tahoe in 2006 with 99,000 miles on it. I think the GM/Chevys of the 1990s are great looking vehicles and always wanted one. Being that I bought it with 99,000 miles, there were some repairs to be done at 100,000, one being the water pump. I recently had work done on the brakes. Gas mileage can actually be quite good. I'm a fairly "soft" driver, and have gotten nearly 23mpg hwy with cruise control. I was in Montana when I first bought it, and often got 16-17mpg "city", though that has plunged since moving to a big city with lots of wasted gas at intersections.

Solid as a rock
By pman on 07/18/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new in 1998. I currently have 115K miles. It will go just about anywhere, and it has. From the sand dunes in Baja, river gorges in the Anza Borrego desert, winter storms in Big Bear, it just goes, and in comfort. Repairs: Around 60K miles exhaust manifold gaskets, Cat, fuel injectors clogged. (ARCO may be a bit cheaper but it clogged my injectors in first 50-60K miles, while last 60-70K miles I've used better gas, no problems, still going strong). About 100K miles, fuel pump, wiper motor. Just had first A/C service, still on original shocks. First major tuneup at 90K miles! No change in drivability since new, hold up well to dogs, kids, idiots in parking lots, etc.

Best in class
By Chevy Chase on 09/19/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Having owned my 1998 Tahoe for ten years now, and continuously working it every day, I would have expectd it to break down around 100000 miles. Now I'm pushing 200,000, and the only thing that ever went wrong with it was a radiator leak at 193,000 miles. I'm still riding on the same shocks I did when I drove it out of the dealer ten years ago. The exterior has held up under the toughest conditions: from the Arizona desert heat to the humidity of Atlanta, Florida, and St. Louis. I have no reason to complain whatsoever.