Used 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Bought in 2010 & Still Going Strong!
By ckingwevl

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I had an opportunity to purchase my 4dr LT in 2010 with only 65k miles on it. Today it has 85k on it and it's still going strong. The normal things are wearing out that I would expect to on a 15 year old truck, but I have not had to put in any major repairs thus far. The previous owner was a meticulous maintainer of the vehicle and I am continuing the trend. Comfort wise you can not beat it. Recently drove 11 hours to the Big Bend area of TX. Did mostly offroad rock and dirt roads while there and she was a beast. Towing is good, but upgraded shocks are recommended to distribute weight better. As for brute strength, I would take this tahoe over a new one any day!

Favorite Features

Comfort, strength, reliability and overall looks. It looks more like a truck than a soccer mom large SUV. I like the smooth lines and how everything is tied in on the exterior. Todays Tahoe's are built more like cars with plastic all over it. The 98 is metal! There are readily available parts available for this age of Tahoe. It doesn't take many aftermarket upgrades to distinguish your Tahoe from the other tens of thousands Tahoe's on the road today.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seat option. Having one would be nice when your hauling a few extra kids around. Not a big fan of the barn doors in the back. Tailgating just ain't the same. Have to agree with what most others said about the drivers seat leather wearing out. Headlight and Taillight plastic getting hazy. But then again so are everyone else's and their cars are newer!

Next time I buy a Toyota
By elkhornsun

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Tahoe coming off a lease with 28K miles. At 32K I found that the rotors needed to be replaced and that Chevrolet had put undersized rotors on its trucks up until 1998, and corrected the problem in 1998. Stopping distance is 50% greater than average for the Tahoe even with no passengers and no load and not pulling a trailer. I bought it to tow a trailer but with the terrible brakes I have avoided using it for this purpose. Can only use a proprietary CD player which costs 4x as much and mine broke within a year. In first 100k miles I had to replace the breaks twice, rotors once, manifold gasket, fuel injectors, AC compressor, idler, and the front tie rods.

Favorite Features

Short wheelbase for this size vehicle. 4x6 foot space with rear seats folded down. Good visibility in all directions. Good instrument and cabin layout for driving. Plenty of space for 4 large adults and other gear. Gas mileage for a large SUV is very good with 16-17 mpg mixed driving.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and rotors need upgrading with 3rd party equipment. Roof rack is barely attached so ignore the 300 lb. rating and keep weight to under 100 lbs. New AC evaporator design makes repairs very expensive. 4x4 shifter requires driver to put head below the dash to shift in and out of 4x4. Better to buy a 1999 or newer model or better still to buy a Toyota Sequoia.

Built like a tank!
By Kara

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

On 7-31-2010, we were rear ended by a tour bus that was doing AT least 60 on the interstate, we weren't up to speed yet, the bus pushed us several feet, that truck and the good grace of God saved our lives! there were 5 of us in that truck including my son, I'm so thankful we were in it instead of my car! We loved that truck and will miss it. We are looking for another in as good of shape as it was, I'm thinking of trading my car for one!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sharp Chevy front end, rear hatch type door on back

Suggested Improvements

None, they are all sharp!! Just keep them built like tanks please!

12 years, 157,000 miles, 1 owner
By FC

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The title speaks for itself. I'm the original owner of this truck. Bought it back in '98 with 11 miles on it. It now is pushing 160,000 and shows no signs of slowing down. I plan on keeping this truck until the wheels fall off. Every time I think of selling or trading it in for something with better mileage, it proves its usefulness, whether it be hauling a load of furniture, pulling a stump in the backyard, towing a trailer, or it snows! I could go on and on about the virtues of my Tahoe. Its taken me across the country many times, and still goes to the grocery store and work every day. Finally starting to show a little rust on the rockers, but that's to be expected.

Favorite Features

You just don't see navy blue leather anymore, AutoTrac 4WD, clean, angular design, and comfort that is unmatched by anything.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage is horrible, but what do you expect with a 5.7 L V-8 and a truck this size!

One owner Tahoe served us well!
By supreme

1998 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck new back in '98 and so far I've put almost 200,000 miles on it. I love it! I've owned many cars in my life and I haven't owned any of them for as long as my Tahoe has lasted (Ford, Pontiac, other Chevys, Dodge, and Buicks). The 350 V8 is bulletproof; the only problems have been with accessories (brakes, steering, electrical). It is horrible on gas but what do you expect for such a large vehicle? It's taken my family on many cross-country trips and performs without skipping a beat in the snow. My kids are all grown and moved out and I still can't let it go! I plan on driving this truck until it dies in my driveway. Buy one and you can count on many enjoyable miles!

Favorite Features

White exterior with Navy blue leather, AutoTrac 4WD, classic styling, plenty of power

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of!