Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

so so
By gt

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used with 51K on her. Ran great up to 80K. Timing chain broke, dinged the valves and $4,000 later had it back for a week before the timing chain broke again (dealer installed incorrectly) Now at 120,000 mile have had to replaced brakes and rotors three times, replaced alternator twice, transmission is going and the fuel regulator is about to go as well. replaced wiper motor as well. Comfortable/powerful ride, but will cost ~$10K to get another 100,000 miles out of it. Ready to move on to something else.

Favorite Features

Loved this SUV until the repairman had to be part of the equation. Comfortable and Powerful ride. Turning radius is great for such a large vehicle. Can carry anything you want to. Great in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics are cheesy. Drive train, engine and brake reliability are substandard. Rear windsheild wiper would be extremely handy

Love / Hate Relationship...
By WillySLC

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

We started looking for an SUV last year and when we saw this one, we had to have it. The Tahoe drives better than any other SUV in it's class. It is very solid on the road and gives great confidence. This much I love. I HATE the reliability. Immediately after we bought it, we had to have several fuel injectors replaced at about $500.00. Some time later, the fuel pump failed. We also replaced the alternator. All this in about a years ownership. Oh yeah, and the drivers door handle broke off. We also find that the lack of rear air conditioning is a major down side. So, like I say, we love to drive it, but it is a huge money pit.

Favorite Features

Solid driver, good performance, tows boat and trailer nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability... Beware...

Fantastic
By NYShorty

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I just purchased my used Tahoe in March of this year.I have to say I'm not disappointed.About a month after I purchased it I drove from New York to Florida and back without a problem. It took some getting used to but once you get comfortable with its size its smooth sailing from there. She drives smoothly on the highway and equally well on local roads.I was also surprised at the fuel economy.I was expecting to have to stop for gas at least 6 or 7 times and wound up only stopping 3 times.With gas prices these days that was a definite bonus. It's very spacious with lots of cargo room.I was able to fit the contents of a 1BR apt in it.I have no complaints.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the running boards (i'm on the short side) and the very comfy bucket seats. Living in the Northeast 4WD on the fly is also a nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

The location of the cup holders sits right in front of the heating vent. If you have a cold drink sitting there it warms up quite quickly.

Reliability Problems
By TahoeTrannyFailed

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has reliability problems of certain components. Steering sensors have failed twice, fuel pump once $900, transmission $3500. This truck has 75000 miles on it and never pulled a trailer, nor been used off road. Fuel pump and transmission will fail without warning and leave you on the side of the road. Steering sensors cause the truck to turn off the road or into the oncoming lane, but atleast you can get back to town to the shop. I paid 1997 prices and received 1977 reliability. If buying one be sure to get an extended warranty and a cell phone to call tow truck when it breaks down on the road.

Favorite Features

Power Size Plushness

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and fuel pump should be made to last longer or have some kind of warning to indicate they are failing. Suspension should be a bit stiffer, rolls too much when cornering.

Great Vehicle, But...........
By dadrab

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Chevy Tahoe has been a good experience with a few exceptions: 1)Reline brakes & turn rotors every 22,000 mile 2)Rebuild Transmission @ 97,000 3)2 alternators 4)replace mainifold gasket 5)Multiple leaks around windows & doors

Favorite Features

Plenty of room. Decent ride for a truck/SUV

Suggested Improvements

Expensive to maintain with all the necessary repairs.