1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Still In Question
By NJR on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Fine until 75,000 miles, had to replace alternator twice, brakes and rotors, had to put in new Transmission, had coolant leak, motor for Windshield wipers went out, but still love the comfortable ride and big space SUV provides. Just don't expect these type of problems from SUV in this price range.

Comfortable, Reliable, and Great Looking
By Mike07716 on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Truck is great. Just reached 100,000 miles and runs like a top. Fit and finish is very good, reliability has been excellent. Has a 'truck' ride, but then again, its a truck -- still better than a full size Bronco or Expedition.

Junk!
By PO'D in Houston on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

Anyone buying a Tahoe needs their head examined! What a piece of pricy JUNK!!!! After spending over $7 Grand in the last two-1/2 years on repairs, I'll never buy another GM vehicle again, even if I have to walk!!!! Buyer Beware!

97 Tahoe
By Bruce M on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Colorado driven, city and highway. Transmission problems, though minor, occurred at 50k and 75k. CD quit at 80k. 4wd quit working at 78k. We were happy with the vehicle up until 75k, but I don't know, call me crazy, I think vehicles should last longer than that, especially when given tender loving care. We have probably purchased our last American automobile; considering Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, Lexus 300.

Over priced POS
By CodyG on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought it at 18 months old. It was basically new. Pretty good service until 75000 miles then it turned to a POS (piece os Sh..) The intake manifold gaskets started leaking for no reason. $800 at the GM dealer. Same thing happened to my dad's 96 Suburban and my best friends 99 Suburban. 80,000 miles the condenser coil went out. They had to completely disassemble the dash.$667. Never rode the same after that. Then the ERG valve. By the time they got through with us that cost another $500. Like I said...POS

Leased vehicles are junk
By schroeder on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased Tahoe used from Russ Darrow (don't buy from there) had to replace the transmission within a year of purchase. We tried to find out if it was under warranty and got the run around from Chevrolet. Within two weeks it had electrial problems. 8 months of purchase the transmission started slipping and the rear end made a clunking noise. The window adjuster and lock mechanism fell into the door and we can not use those buttons on the passenger side. I do not like the anti- lock brakes that were designed for this vehicle. When I come to an abrupt stop the whole vehicle shakes and feels out of control.

Poor Quality and Service
By Yule-B-Sorry on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

After replacing the engine manifold, transmission, starter, water pump, master cylinder, radiator all between 70-80,000 miles, my tahoe runs ok. Brakes are poor as have replaced 2 sets of rotors but am still on the original pads. The rear door leaks and needs a new gasket. This car is only used by my wife for daily trips to take the kids to school and other events. Dealings with GM customer service are like having a root canal. They are very good at the denial game. My mechanic who is now my best friend says that my problems are not uncommon with regards to the transmission, manifold and brakes. Not a car I recommend purchasing.

tahoe
By matt b on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I now live in Alaska and drive alot to fish and hunt. Before driving up the intake manifold gasket started leaking. $400. also something in the power steering went out also $150. and the check engine light for the EGR exhaust valve 3 times cleaned myself and replaced. 68,000 miles are now on it and I woulden't trade it for anything call me crazy.

Great Truck
By RVAS on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The truck has always been good to me and has never given me any problems. Actually you can get used to the brakes and it's not totally unsafe. Quesiton if you really need the room. I bought it thinking that I will use it, but it mostly sat in my garage as a second vehicle. So, if you really are going to use it's towing and interior size, it would be worth it.

Power!!
By The Only, Jason on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV 4WD

So far I have loved this vehicle. Sometimes I wonder if I really need that much power but the truck is great. I have had Chevy Cars, an S-10, a GMC Blazer (2dr as well) and now my Tahoe. Everyone likes riding in my truck. It's great. Powerful, comfortable, smooth and easy to control.