1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
'97 And Still Better Than Most New
By gavin on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This 1997 Tahoe is still better than most new vehicles!! I can't believe I see people complaining about stupid stuff. Of course you are going to fix things on a 6 (almost 7) year old vehicle. Go buy your Toyota Sequia and pay the bill to fix it. wow!! Go bowtie!! Can't wait to get a new one, but this one does just fine and still pulls good money. how many other products can say that? so what if it drinks a little gas. if you pay that much for a luxury vehicle, why do you worry about a few dollars extra a week!

Nice Truck
By Posted1 on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 59,000 miles, 1 owner. I checked the vehicle out extensively prior to purchasing it adn I have had absolutely no trouble with it. Decent ride, adequate comfort and plenty of power make this a great vehicle for all 4 seasons that Colorado has to offer.

Sorry to see my Tahoe go
By Mac in Kentucky on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in '97. Early on, vehicle required five sets of front rotors due to faulty brake design. Chevy covered it all under warranty -- even after warranty expired. No other problems encountered. At 182,000 miles, brake failure caused me to rear-end a pick- up. This wiped-out the front end. I walked away with minor bruises. I replaced my Tahoe with a Suburban.

1997 Tahoe, Excellent Choice
By Steve Price on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV

After 200,000 miles (253,000 total miles), I'm still very pleased with this vehicle. Reasonable operating cost, very reliable. I had to overhaul the transmission at 224,000 miles. It's had 2 alternators, 2 fuel pumps, and the A/C evaporator had to be replaced. Assuming NO residual value, this vehicle has cost me less than 26 cents per mile, including EVERYTHING (interest, insurance, licensing, gas, & maintenance). At current estimated value, operating cost is about 22 cents per mile. I average 18.5 MPG.

97 Tahoe
By REDUFO on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been a joy to drive, but when it does need repair it is always expensive. The electrical system is starting to be a problem.

what else can go wrong
By waterboy19812001 on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 2dr SUV

It is a fun SUV to drive except for the time when i had to replace the front rotors, fix intake manifold gaskets, new fuel pump, etc. Other than that it is a reliable car with a nice look.

Chevy Tahoe Rocks
By Chevy Tahoe Rulez on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

this truck is very nice excellent everything no complains with it

adios my tahoe
By tahoe bill on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I just traded my faithful '97 Tahoe in on a Honda Accord. No longer need the Tahoe's room or towing ability, and gas is getting expensive. After 92k miles, it ran like brand new, used zero oil, and was as tight and rattle-free as the day I bought it. I'd give it a 10 for reliability, except I had to replace the water pump, alternator, front rotors, & rebuild the master cylinder. Otherwise it was trouble-free and only needed tires, a battery, & gas (15 mpg avg). It was an excellent, comfy, roomy, nice-driving rig, and I know there'll be times I'll miss it. I'd buy it again if I had the need.

Look out for this Lemmon!!!
By X-ChevyMan on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I learned to drive in a Suburban and I've been a Chevy man since. I had a K5 blazer & loved it. I liked the Tahoe and got a 97 in 01 w/60k. I should have known truck was trouble when I drove it off the lot & the alt. went. Since then I have replaced brakes & rotors, rebuilt trans, replaced water pump, battery, starter, windshield wipers just stop working, trans cooler, built into the radiator, sprung leak causing all sorts of probs, the head gasket leaking all this under 88k! Believe what you read in the reviews. It's not reliable, brakes are awful, electrical system is bad & the trans is trouble

Not bad GM
By chevy1567892 on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

After reading the other reviews, my Tahoe looks like a Toyota. I was woried about GM quality but had to have a V8 SUV for towing which meant Expedition or Tahoe. At 100k mile, the only real problem was the front suspension (Pitman and A arms had to be replaced to keep the truck in alignment). New altenator, battery, a few sensors, cap and rotor have also been replaced. This SUV still has the most confortable seats of any SUV, tows exceptionally, is just the right size, and has classic SUV styling. Didn't think I would get used to the mushy brakes, but they do stop ok if you remember what you're driving. MPG has been about 16.5 in city/highway mix.