Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

A true "LEMON"
By Disgruntled Owner

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV

I've always been a Chevy person. I owned their full size & compact Blazers, 1500 pickup & two extended cab trucks before throwing my money away on the Tahoe-Lemon. To test drive the Tahoe is to 'want' the Tahoe... roomy interior, smooth ride, just the right size. Unfortunately, to own the Tahoe is to 'be broke'. Poor mpg (less than sticker indicates) & Constant Repair! I have replaced the tranny, starter, alt, water & fuel pumps, windshield wiper moter (recall), front interior door handles, passenger seat belt assembly clasp/lock, idler arm, brakes & rotors several times, & plug sets too many times to count. Steering scensors fail on/off as do electronics, interior plastics are now breaking.

Roomy interior (no one in my family is under 6'), front bucket seats are very cumfy, large cargo area, smooth ride and tight turning radius.

Outside of making it mechanically sound so that every part doesn't have to be replaced I'd have to suggest that the dash-board drink holders be moved from in front of the air vents, redesign back-row doors to allow windows ro roll down more than 4 inches, and add rear windshield wiper(s).

Professional grade?
By Wobblerite

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Reliability has been low in history of this vehicle. Fuel pump at 33K, water hose quick connect corroded and broken at 40K, tranny died at 55K, Driver door handle breaking at 60K, Alternator @65K, windshield wiper circuit board @70K. Had Delco battery leak acid that destroyed battery cables. Parts counter at Chevy dealer recommended I get another brand because he had a room full of leaking batteries and Delco did nothing to redesign to prevent problem. With all this no wonder the term of endearment for this vehicle starts with "piece of". Now that everything has been replaced it runs great and I intend to keep for some time as tow vehicle for boat.

Love the clean body style and roomy interior with well laid out instrument cluster.

Standard headlights are not bright enough and low beams should stay on when high beams are on, not an either or proposition.

By ahunn

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had a great experience with my 97 Tahoe. We're selling to make room for a Volvo wagon now that we have a baby, but if I could, I would have held onto this truck for another 20 years. Gas mileage is not the best, but reliable and safe.

Worth 20 Grand
By Fortunate One

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Unless they make a new model or Hummer makes a 2 door, the value will go up on the body style. Its value is also in the power to weight ratio. It can pull more than I think it should. The spline on the drive shaft can be damaged. If you sell yours, always remember, if the dealers say it's hot, then it is. Anything that ever broke was for a reason directly linked to the condition it was exposed to. Plastic tabs for example on the interior, were not designed for endurance, but for ease of assembly. Put Baer disk brakes on all four, and replace injectors. Cost of repair much less than interest on new loan alone, exceptional recreational second vehicle.

Size. Never too big, and never too small. Treads well, repair cost undercuts any new vehicle purchase of similar capability.

Invest in this vehicle's available aftermarket upgrades. That is what the market is for. Unless you spend a fortune on a LR3 HSE, you cant find the perfect utility vehicle off the assembly line. Brakes, shocks, floor mats, seat covers, Michelins, alarm, air filter, etc.

Best SUV on the Market in 1997
By Nick L

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a good experience with my Tahoe, I have put in about $2500 in general maintenance about 1600 was labor. I put on a new water pump, alternator, brakes and cleaned the fuel injector, as well as other general maintenance. For 116,500 miles you figure that replacements parts will be needed. Very dependable. Will get new shocks soon, as I am starting to bounce. The platform is old but my 97 rides and handles better than my dads 01 Expedition Eddie Bauer. It is also quieter and the seats are more comfy. I gave it a 4 for fuel economy other than that it's a great vehicle.

Size! Ride is good, and has good power. My body never gets tired after driving long hours. The seats are very comfortable. The cargo area is big enough for my to dogs.

I have heard of problems for the fuel pump going out. My mechanic told me to keep the gas tank a a quarter full, as the gas keeps it cool. I wish Chevy would get rid of cheap plastic as some of my moldings have cracked. Also fit and finish, Why can't the Big 3 keep up with Honda and Toyota?