Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

2 door monsters
By Fish

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr SUV 4WD

I have a 2 door Tahoe that has been the best vehicle I have every owned. This SUV has seen a lot of road and dirt. With 175000 miles on it I have put this truck through hell and back. I have put very little money into this truck.with no leaks, no smoke, great handling, this still a very reliable monster. The only disappointment is that Chevy does not make a 2 door Tahoe any more.

Favorite Features

Style. This SUV still looks good. Has great power to weight ratio. Comfortable, great for long trips. Great reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Needs disc brakes all the way around.

Solid after all these years
By ct

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

This has been a great truck. I drive it off road about 4 weeks a year and in the snow during winter in Colorado. It handles either great as well as dry pavement. It could get better mileage but hey, it's a full sized SUV what do you expect?

Favorite Features

I like the short wheel base and its super easy to maintain. The engine compartment has plenty of room to get around in. and lots of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

More ground clearance would be nice but lift kits can handle that. A new 2dr version from GM would be nice too.

Awesome Truck
By Tahoe Fan

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Being 6'8" its the only vehicle I can drive 15 hrs and still be able to walk afterwards. Added K&N intake and comp cams components to engine great edition. Gets close to 18 around town and 20 on freeway. Planning on replacing brakes with aftermarket disks. Found Optima battery to solve charging problem and genuine AC Delco alternator, haven't had a problem since. Keep fuel above quarter tank and fuel pump lasts a long time. Recently was in a horrible wreck where vehicle was totalled, no passengers were injured, vehicle did everything it was supposed to. Love it so much am going to buy it back and do a frame up rebuild. Recommend one to anyone looking for used SUV just keep up on maintence

Favorite Features

Engine is awesome and interoir is roomy. Maintenance tranny once a year and it lasts much longer. Mine is original and hasn't had a problem yet.

Suggested Improvements

Certain problems seem to plague them but with proper research and preventative maintenance, most can be avoided or repaired cheaply and vehicle will last a long time.

I Can't Complain
By BiggWaukegan

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rectently bought my '97 Tahoe Lt 4 door 4wd with 122,000 miles on it. This is the best vechile I've ever owned hands down. Very comfortable, a nice powerful Vortec 5700 motor suits it well. I've got a nice high ride, nice comfort inside and plenty of room for the kids. I live in the Chicago area so the weather here can get rough. But with the push button 4wd were ready. This truck is true Chevy. Love it. Got a great deal on it too. Under $6000.

Favorite Features

Interior luxury. Roomy as can be. Powerful motor. Ride

Suggested Improvements

No cupholder by heater vent. Heated seats. Dual power seats. Better gas mileage

Go Chevy
By mr.paradise

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV

I purchased my Tahoe in '02 w/74k. She was a 1 owner with a fresh tranny! This SUV is the bomb! Done the average repairs: fuel pump, pittman arm, brakes and rotors. Rides great @75mph. Just remember it is a heavy SUV! You can not drive it like a car and expect the same results. (brakes, fuel economy,maintenance) My tank- Tahoe is holding its own at 167,000 miles with no signs of engine problems. If you are going to buy used, forget Ford and Dodge. Go Chevy

Favorite Features

Leather seats. Smooth ride. Super cargo room.