Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Many repairs with this puppy!!
By M&L817 on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am an ASE master tech. All my vehicles are maintained religiously. I purchased my Tahoe brand new. It is a love/hate relationship. At 31,000 the car quit on the road due to battery post failure. It spewed acid all over the R/F brake line. At 43,000 miles, the transmission failed. It was 8 mos out of warranty. Chevrolet's response was I should have purchased an entended warranty. Now at 52,000 the intake manifold leaks. I have replaced the rear pinion seal,wiper motor,water pump,front brake rotors,the idler arm, and last week the transmission valve body again.

THE BEST SUV OUT THERE
By TONITAHOE on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I AM THE SECOND OWNER AND LAST OWNER OF THIS VEHICLE. THIS TRUCK IS A DREAM, THE INTERIOR I BELIEVE IS THE BEST DESIGN AND MATERIALS I HAVE EXPERIENCED WITH ANY VEHICLE THAT I HAVE RIDEN IN. I WILL NEVER SELL MY TRUCK. IT IS VERY VERSITILE DESIGN.

2Door Tahoe
By DontWorry on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Tahoe is the best full-size SUV.

Money Pit
By Larry Caron on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this vehicle for taking trips. It rides better than my car due to the large wheel base. The Tahoe gets about 13 in town and 18 on highway. The only problem is that I dont trust it for any trips any more. The tranny dropped at 80K. I am now at 103K and I have spent about 5,000.00 in repairs so far. I love the car other than the repairs. A 30,000.00 vehicle should not have to cost an additional 5,000.00 in repairs

4 Under the Floor...
By 4byTranny on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

After dealer-servicing every 3,600 miles for the first 53,000 I put $800 into tranny repairs. I had no extended warranty. At 57,000 I put in a new tranny for $2,600. At 98,000 I put in another tranny (this one under warranty)! Five hundred miles later this tranny went bad too. Holy smokes!! GM still tells me there is nothing wrong with their transmissions. Yeah...OK!

Sporty and Powerful
By jackblack on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Has about 130,000 miles and still runs great. Some reoccurring electrical issues. Battery is subject to overcharge, even with new alternator. Terminal posts dissolve after two years. Even thenÖI would not trade it for the world. I fit over 1000 lbs inside the cargo area truck during a recent move. Engine didnít even know it. Several 1000 mile trips have been made and the comfort level is amazing for a truck\SUV. Canít say enough good things about it!

TAHOE RULES!
By mrp on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV

Best suv for the money. With now over 140,000 miles it's still running strong. All original parts except battery, belt & tires.

1997 tahoe
By Joel12345 on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

The truck has tons of power without the extra length the suburban had. Seems to be bullet proof.

Towing Capability
By Diver on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My '97 Tahoe seems to be an very good SUV. Bought used two years ago with only 54000 miles on it. I used the SUV for recreational purposes about 5k miles per year. Had a manifold leak, defective master cylinder, front end suspension and alternator replaced. Seems like a lot of replacement for a fairly unused vehicle. Fortunately extended warranty covered costs. Concern regarding durability of vehicle. Typically expect a truck to last 150k to 200k miles. The old ones did anyway. Had less problems with my Ford truck. It did not encounter any major problems til after 120k and then it was only an altenator.

A good 6 years
By Matt97 on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I originally leased this truck for three years and could not part with it... so I bought it. Under warranty, GM replaced 2 a/c blower fans, fixed the power steering, replaced the break rotors, replaced the rear pinion seal, and fixed a few rattles. After the warranty was out, I fixed a coolant leak, did the brakes again, and replaced a valve in the transmission. I figure I put about 1k/year into the truck for the last 3 yrs and now have 83k miles. The other day I noticed leaks from the transfer case and rear pinion seal again.