1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
A true "LEMON"
By Disgruntled Owner on 02/28/06 22:30 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV

I've always been a Chevy person. I owned their full size & compact Blazers, 1500 pickup & two extended cab trucks before throwing my money away on the Tahoe-Lemon. To test drive the Tahoe is to 'want' the Tahoe... roomy interior, smooth ride, just the right size. Unfortunately, to own the Tahoe is to 'be broke'. Poor mpg (less than sticker indicates) & Constant Repair! I have replaced the tranny, starter, alt, water & fuel pumps, windshield wiper moter (recall), front interior door handles, passenger seat belt assembly clasp/lock, idler arm, brakes & rotors several times, & plug sets too many times to count. Steering scensors fail on/off as do electronics, interior plastics are now breaking.

Professional grade?
By Wobblerite on 01/31/06 10:44 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Reliability has been low in history of this vehicle. Fuel pump at 33K, water hose quick connect corroded and broken at 40K, tranny died at 55K, Driver door handle breaking at 60K, Alternator @65K, windshield wiper circuit board @70K. Had Delco battery leak acid that destroyed battery cables. Parts counter at Chevy dealer recommended I get another brand because he had a room full of leaking batteries and Delco did nothing to redesign to prevent problem. With all this no wonder the term of endearment for this vehicle starts with "piece of". Now that everything has been replaced it runs great and I intend to keep for some time as tow vehicle for boat.

By ahunn on 09/17/05 14:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had a great experience with my 97 Tahoe. We're selling to make room for a Volvo wagon now that we have a baby, but if I could, I would have held onto this truck for another 20 years. Gas mileage is not the best, but reliable and safe.

Worth 20 Grand
By Fortunate One on 08/12/05 17:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Unless they make a new model or Hummer makes a 2 door, the value will go up on the body style. Its value is also in the power to weight ratio. It can pull more than I think it should. The spline on the drive shaft can be damaged. If you sell yours, always remember, if the dealers say it's hot, then it is. Anything that ever broke was for a reason directly linked to the condition it was exposed to. Plastic tabs for example on the interior, were not designed for endurance, but for ease of assembly. Put Baer disk brakes on all four, and replace injectors. Cost of repair much less than interest on new loan alone, exceptional recreational second vehicle.

Best SUV on the Market in 1997
By Nick L on 04/18/05 11:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a good experience with my Tahoe, I have put in about $2500 in general maintenance about 1600 was labor. I put on a new water pump, alternator, brakes and cleaned the fuel injector, as well as other general maintenance. For 116,500 miles you figure that replacements parts will be needed. Very dependable. Will get new shocks soon, as I am starting to bounce. The platform is old but my 97 rides and handles better than my dads 01 Expedition Eddie Bauer. It is also quieter and the seats are more comfy. I gave it a 4 for fuel economy other than that it's a great vehicle.

so so
By gt on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used with 51K on her. Ran great up to 80K. Timing chain broke, dinged the valves and $4,000 later had it back for a week before the timing chain broke again (dealer installed incorrectly) Now at 120,000 mile have had to replaced brakes and rotors three times, replaced alternator twice, transmission is going and the fuel regulator is about to go as well. replaced wiper motor as well. Comfortable/powerful ride, but will cost ~$10K to get another 100,000 miles out of it. Ready to move on to something else.

Love / Hate Relationship...
By WillySLC on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

We started looking for an SUV last year and when we saw this one, we had to have it. The Tahoe drives better than any other SUV in it's class. It is very solid on the road and gives great confidence. This much I love. I HATE the reliability. Immediately after we bought it, we had to have several fuel injectors replaced at about $500.00. Some time later, the fuel pump failed. We also replaced the alternator. All this in about a years ownership. Oh yeah, and the drivers door handle broke off. We also find that the lack of rear air conditioning is a major down side. So, like I say, we love to drive it, but it is a huge money pit.

Fantastic
By NYShorty on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I just purchased my used Tahoe in March of this year.I have to say I'm not disappointed.About a month after I purchased it I drove from New York to Florida and back without a problem. It took some getting used to but once you get comfortable with its size its smooth sailing from there. She drives smoothly on the highway and equally well on local roads.I was also surprised at the fuel economy.I was expecting to have to stop for gas at least 6 or 7 times and wound up only stopping 3 times.With gas prices these days that was a definite bonus. It's very spacious with lots of cargo room.I was able to fit the contents of a 1BR apt in it.I have no complaints.

Reliability Problems
By TahoeTrannyFailed on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has reliability problems of certain components. Steering sensors have failed twice, fuel pump once $900, transmission $3500. This truck has 75000 miles on it and never pulled a trailer, nor been used off road. Fuel pump and transmission will fail without warning and leave you on the side of the road. Steering sensors cause the truck to turn off the road or into the oncoming lane, but atleast you can get back to town to the shop. I paid 1997 prices and received 1977 reliability. If buying one be sure to get an extended warranty and a cell phone to call tow truck when it breaks down on the road.

Great Vehicle, But...........
By dadrab on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Chevy Tahoe has been a good experience with a few exceptions: 1)Reline brakes & turn rotors every 22,000 mile 2)Rebuild Transmission @ 97,000 3)2 alternators 4)replace mainifold gasket 5)Multiple leaks around windows & doors