Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Tahoe Breakhoe
By Tahoe Crap

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Where do I start? I got mine 11-24-1998 and if I wasn't a very mechanical guy I would've gone mad by now. It would be a great vehicle if it wasn't breaking all the time. The list of things that broke are: Fuel-pump at 40K, Intake manifold gaskets 2X, Transmission at 80K, Front rotors continually warp- inadequately-braked vehicle, Water pump, Radiator, Interior plastic parts galore-Sun visor vanity mirrors R/L, Right side electric mirror, Alternator 3X, Rear cargo door strap, Rear speaker, Paint on hood and top shot, Dog tracking problem, Grill plastic parts are all breaking, Wiper pulse board. I am a bit remiss to not remember everything. If I ever sell it, it will have everything corrected.

Ride Comfort, Exterior Styling. Easy to get parts for, but hey, when there are so many of them and they all break, lots of vendors make parts for them.

Take a lesson from the Japanese. I've taken Toyotas and Hondas apart and they are far superior in quality. But then, most people don't realize that GM purposely builds their vehicles with breakage in mind. In engineering it's called MTBFR (Meantime Between Failure Rate.) It's all in the materials.

The Hoe
By Sgt Gahring

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought the hoe and ever since I've loved it. Awesome horsepower with a few upgrades, "headers, K and N air filter, performance exhaust." With a fuel system flush and tranny flush I have gotten better fuel economy but for the ponies its pushing I'm ok with it. It's awesome for mudding and pull offs. But if working the overdrive transmission it needs a BG tranny flush and the conditioner for protection. I've had to do regular maintenance but what vehicle doesn't need it. If your looking for fun go with General Motors.

The POWER is AWESOME! I love the whole way this vehicle was built and designed. Its perfect for offroading witch is what ford cant do with the explorer, and isn't that bad on gas, unlike the dodge durango getting a boosting 8mpgs.

I would say increase the gear ratio to raise the mpgs but then it would be more difficult to offroad.

One of the last of the GOOD Trucks!
By PHXGuy

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the greatest vehicles I have ever owned. Mine, though it has 150K miles, was extremely well cared for. Safe, reliable, fun to drive, easy to park(tight turning radius)and there really is no substitute for a Chevy 350 V8!! Mileage is better than I expected; 16+mpg around town. (has aftermarket air filter) I've owned 3 Suburbans and never ot more than about 12mpg with them. Of course that was in my younger, heavy foot days! (and cheap gas)Its a classy looking truck and somewhat rare to find in the 2door body style. I agree with another reviewer here.. ..If you can find one of these in good condition, BUY IT! They don't make them like this anymore. A true classic!

Fun to drive.  Perfect size.  Tight turning radius(easy to drive and park) Solid quality construction.Timeless body style.

Plastic headlamp lenses fade, yellow and restrict light output.. ...VERY counter-productive! Maybe this is just a Phoenix issue with our harsh sun?

A real SUV
By silverado92

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great truck! Simply put, if you can find one that's been looked after, don't hesitate. Sure they have some common issues, but what doesn't? Overall it feels safe to drive, comfortable as all heck and the power and capablitities to pull most anything. I am looking to buy another to keep as a spare before they are all gone!

The overall truck. Body style has truly stood the test of time and they are as sharp as ever when all shined up

Heated seats should have been standard with any leather interior.

Excellent Vehicle
By Jeff

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had excellent service from this vehicle very comfortable, reliable, have spent very little for maintenance other than normal routine

Comfort and roomy