1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
So in love!
By elcamino_girl on 06/27/14 20:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I couldn't be more THRILLED that this is my first vehicle! I was going to trade it for a small car, until I got it on the road. Had to fix the rear brake lines to get it road worthy. currently need to fix one stabilizer bar, front brakes could go any day, part of the front drivers side frame is rotted pretty bad, the vehicle clicks funny when reversing and there's a leak in the gas tank near the top. She had about 427k when I got her. after putting on almost 1000k a month since Oct, I'm STILL in love. I will be sad when she has nothing left to give, hopefully that won't be for a long time yet

MY 97 TAHOE LT
By gene105 on 08/21/13 00:43 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Had to replace engine around 85,000 miles, then around 130,000 miles had to replace head and vortec gaskets. Also had to replace radiator, shop busted old one when they replaced the gaskets. Still on original tires. Seats are fully adjustable,power windows, rear hatch style doors w/washer n blade, cruse control low mileage on mine due to the fact I drive a 18 wheeler.

Love this car
By garihee on 07/19/13 19:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Incorrectly reviewed as a 2 door a few years ago. 202,000. 4th transmission has outlasted previous 3. 350 running strong and smooth with K&N factory air replacement and routine oil changes. Recent road trip showed 18 mpg, and that with junk tires and a loose front end. I'm patiently waiting for original exhaust system to give me an excuse to upgrade. One through rust spot, rear wheel well. Time for fresh paint and interior, as leather has worn due to heavy use. Handles great after front end rebuild. Passengers "brake" and then joke about Tokyo drift on the on ramps, but she just sits down and goes through 'em.

GREAT SUV
By kasper_lee on 09/19/12 20:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We had this truck for 12 years. I loved it so much. I finally decided to start doing performance upgrades on when I got back from Iraq in January with dual exhaust (Flowmasters) and a K&N Cold Air Intake. Unbeleivable and noticeable changes were felt. Gas milage is what is expected but sure as hell doesn't seem as bad as what is on paper. The interior is a little boring but add-on possibilities are endless. The seats are large and comfortable. Very reliable. Was rear ended 3 times in 12 years, the most recent (2 weeks ago) totalled it, thanks to F250 flying into me going 50 mph while we were stopped for traffic with my newly adopted 7 month old daughter in the back. We were all ok though.

Love it...but oh my!
By garihee on 08/09/11 17:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Love this car for its great lines, 350, availability of aftermarket parts and its ability to move in the snow. Unfortunately, we're on our 4th transmission; this one a warranty replacement for the new one we put in when the second one went south. The next time it eats a set of rotors I'm going to spend some real money and buy a pair that should last. There's also a sensor in the power steering that goes sour routinely and makes for some exciting wheel play on snow and ice and is in fact, a serious liability. Anyway, glad to have mine and no intention of letting it go; it's one of tomorrow's classics!

In Praise of Old Friends
By wcrisler on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

What a kick it is to read these reviews of this truck, which I've owned since 1999. Driven under every possible condition imaginable -- long distance, short hauls, towing trailers, through deserts, over mountains, in blizzards, on- and off- road, it's been through several girl friends, two wives and three kids and 258,130 miles. Sure, it's needed repairs, just like me, including all those listed by "Disgruntled Owner", but there it is, still ready to take me wherever I want to go, without a complaint, like it has for over a decade. It's like an old hat, so comfortable you forget you're wearing it. It's my home, my refuge, wherever I go. Every inch evokes memories. Some of me will die with it

Great Vehicle
By SS-ZULU on 08/03/10 10:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a 56 youthful year old male, living in New Jersey and who regularly travels to North Carolina with the comfort and reliability of my 1997 Tahoe. Also, I own a 1986 & 1987 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL, but when I leave to go to work or travel, it's my 1997 Tahoe that receives the assignment. Did I mention that I stand @ 6 1/2 feet tall and enjoy full comfort of leg and height room. Power is good and fuel economy presents no discouragement for a daily driver. Clean and sleek body lines on my midnight blue Tahoe, demands road and curb appeal and evening relooks upon entering my home at days end. If you own one, my comments are understandable, if you do not, it's an experience at your lost. BYE BYE !

another Junk Chevy
By ken on 02/07/10 18:49 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I have done nothing but put money into this lemon and I only have 95k on my 97 because it is in the shop as much as on the road Alternator tranny calipers disks master brake cylinder twice anti lock brake sensor seat release on back seat radio died lights on dash most burnt out, power steering pump, and NOW head is crack what junk!!!! I will fix it an NEVER buy a Chevy again....

Great Truck
By Andy on 01/30/10 06:48 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The best truck I've ever owned. Its very reliable, great for road trips, towing, getting around in the snow etc. I bought it with 130k and now it has 170k. I had to replace the intake manifold gasket and have the transmission rebuilt but, other than that its been small cheap stuff. One of the best things about owning one of these is parts are plentiful and cheap. It doesn't get great gas mileage (12-15) but, its a V8 Truck. I would rather put extra money in the tank than have $1k repair bills on a vehicle that only a dealer can work on.

True American Design
By hatcman on 12/31/09 05:31 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck because it is simply the best design chevy ever came out with along with the infamous 5.7 power house. I think this truck is more reliable then my past too brand new trucks, no problems, and it rides so good. I have room for family despite it is a two door but a little elbow grease and you will get in the back. Anyone thinking of purchasing one of these you will be very pleased i think, and I just hit 182,000 miles this morning and its still trucking.