Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

So in love!
By elcamino_girl

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I couldn't be more THRILLED that this is my first vehicle! I was going to trade it for a small car, until I got it on the road. Had to fix the rear brake lines to get it road worthy. currently need to fix one stabilizer bar, front brakes could go any day, part of the front drivers side frame is rotted pretty bad, the vehicle clicks funny when reversing and there's a leak in the gas tank near the top. She had about 427k when I got her. after putting on almost 1000k a month since Oct, I'm STILL in love. I will be sad when she has nothing left to give, hopefully that won't be for a long time yet

Styling because she looks intimidating when coming up behind someone(had 2 people tell me that already), so I can't wait to fix her up, maybe add some push bars. Excited to have a work horse to play with! She handles well in snow and rain(after our worst winter in several years) I feel VERY safe in her and love sitting above most other vehicles.

MY 97 TAHOE LT
By gene105

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr SUV 4WD

Had to replace engine around 85,000 miles, then around 130,000 miles had to replace head and vortec gaskets. Also had to replace radiator, shop busted old one when they replaced the gaskets. Still on original tires. Seats are fully adjustable,power windows, rear hatch style doors w/washer n blade, cruse control low mileage on mine due to the fact I drive a 18 wheeler.

Like the radio set up, cd, am/fm,cassette . Only thing I don't like about this there is no plug for plugging in a mp3 or other device.

radio,plug for mp3, child locks mess up all the time, day time running lites (bad idea), doors are hard to close w/windows up, drivers seat belt is hard to snap. impossible to do with injured right arm/shoulder. Buy an extension. I know had rotator cup surgery and can not snap mine.

Love this car
By garihee

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Incorrectly reviewed as a 2 door a few years ago. 202,000. 4th transmission has outlasted previous 3. 350 running strong and smooth with K&N factory air replacement and routine oil changes. Recent road trip showed 18 mpg, and that with junk tires and a loose front end. I'm patiently waiting for original exhaust system to give me an excuse to upgrade. One through rust spot, rear wheel well. Time for fresh paint and interior, as leather has worn due to heavy use. Handles great after front end rebuild. Passengers "brake" and then joke about Tokyo drift on the on ramps, but she just sits down and goes through 'em.

Clean lines. A great looking car. See the USA...

Whatever trips you. Keep it running and together as it's already a classic. See you at the car shows.

GREAT SUV
By kasper_lee

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We had this truck for 12 years. I loved it so much. I finally decided to start doing performance upgrades on when I got back from Iraq in January with dual exhaust (Flowmasters) and a K&N Cold Air Intake. Unbeleivable and noticeable changes were felt. Gas milage is what is expected but sure as hell doesn't seem as bad as what is on paper. The interior is a little boring but add-on possibilities are endless. The seats are large and comfortable. Very reliable. Was rear ended 3 times in 12 years, the most recent (2 weeks ago) totalled it, thanks to F250 flying into me going 50 mph while we were stopped for traffic with my newly adopted 7 month old daughter in the back. We were all ok though.

Great reliable drivetrain. Very comfortable ride and seats. Just looks awesome, like a beast, when well kept.

At least go with the next size bigger tires but you can keep the stock wheels. Just that little bit makes a noticeable difference in ride height. Would recommend staying away from the tailgate versions, get the rear double door types. The interior (cockpit) is just too boring but ok for 1997 I geuss.

Love it...but oh my!
By garihee

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Love this car for its great lines, 350, availability of aftermarket parts and its ability to move in the snow. Unfortunately, we're on our 4th transmission; this one a warranty replacement for the new one we put in when the second one went south. The next time it eats a set of rotors I'm going to spend some real money and buy a pair that should last. There's also a sensor in the power steering that goes sour routinely and makes for some exciting wheel play on snow and ice and is in fact, a serious liability. Anyway, glad to have mine and no intention of letting it go; it's one of tomorrow's classics!

Clean lines and the 350.

GM should have stepped up to the transmission troubles. Shame on them for not accepting responsibility for a manufactered flaw.