Used 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

A dealer's delight
By steffko

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I bought this in 2000 with 60K on it. She loves it, and it loves the local Chevy garage. We have replaced the fuel pump at 90K, the alternator at 95K, the tranny at100K (as everyone I know with a '96 has), the old style transfer case solenoid with the new/improved version, and have put two batteries in it. It also has a drinking problem. I top off the coolant about once a month. It now has a leak out of the rear seal of the transfer case (which I'll fix if it ever stops snowing), as well as lifter rattle and high oil pressure readings when first started. The a/c crapped out last year as well. But to borrow an old juice ad, I never have to say, Wow, wish I had a V8 because when the 350 rocks, she rocks!

V8 power! Stylish looks

Transmission durability. Visor mirrors. The vanity lights always stayed on until I disconnected them. That's what kept draining the second battery, and eventually killed it. Less brake pedal travel. Longer lasting a/c components

A Classic
By 4CHVY

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV 4WD

105K miles on it and the only major repair was a water pump, o2 sensor and serpentine belt. Still looks cool. I still get compliments and offers to buy it.

4WD

GM should re-issue the 2 door model. Same exterior design with an updated engine, drivetrain, suspension and braking system.

Workhorse
By Magnus

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned for over 10 years, great for the family, boat and overall workhorse. Only wished I had purchased the larger Suburban. Chevy should build all thier car/trucks this well.

Ride and feeling of safety

Obviously gas mileage

We call her "BIG RED"
By Deborah

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

She is a beauty & a real tall truck with big tires. I love my truck! I can never wait to drive it. We have 4 cars, so this one's dedicated to towing RV. The tires and the huge engine result in some poor mileage from this gas engine when towing. Hwy 2, Washington State is a real hard pull for anything less than a mighty diesel, but Big Red handles the job quite fine. We get about 9 mpg for that tough pull. Hiway we get 14 mpg but the monster tires r 2 blame. This is one sexy truck that gets looks everywhere I go. Both men & women try to catch a glance of what is behind the limo tinted glass with the real big bass. We'll invest money in her & keep her 4-ever! This truck rocks.

Big tall beefy look - the new ones are too round or "soft" looking. My sister has the 2003 and it sounds beefy but looks a little sissy-like and the new style just doesn't look right with the suspension lift on it.

None other than I wish I could wiggle my nose and get better mileage. My friends 2006 loaded top of the line 4x4 only gets 16 mpg on the hiway so 14 in my modified '96 isn't so bad.

Love my Tahoe
By Celtfire

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Tahoe for about 2 years. I absolutely LOVE it. The previous owner really rode it hard but she is still truckin'. I had to put a rebuilt trany in her when I bought her but I've had zero problems outside of the normal wear and tear. I just had a baby and I call her my rad mommy wagon. You won't catch me behind the wheel of a minivan. Her interior trim rattles inside at highway speeds and the windshield pops everytime I shut the door. The rear wiper desides when it wants to work and the paint on the top center of the hood is peeling. The CD player will not play when the truck is cold. All very minor problems that are easily corrected.

The power in the pedal is awesome!! My model has the tailgate instead of the more popular rear doors. Believe it or not I like this arrangement better.

Gas mileage is mediocre but expected. The current gas prices are hurting though but that's not the truck's fault.