1996 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Solid Vehicle (so far)
By calljunior on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this vehicle for 2 year and other than corrosion on the + battery cable it has been a champ inside and out. Now at 60k miles it's developed a "whine" that appears to be coming from somewhere in the engine compartment so I'm holding my breath a bit...wondering. I've run across some vehicles I'd like to own but I just can't justify letting go of what has been such a reliable SUV. I'm crossing my fingers for another good 60k miles.

Great Fun
By freedrfreed on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the comfort and stlye and the power comes in real hande when you need it,towes very well.my truck has 220,000 miles with a new motor{rebuilt} and the only thing that broke was my rear end but after 220,000 miles I paid the $1,500 to repaire it and never looked back and tow a 4,500 pound boat with no promblem, but this truck is a gas sucker but it handles and does so much work for you I won't sell mine.

TAHOE MAN
By BEAGLEHOE on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 2 door Tahoe LT used and have had it for 6 months now. I spent a total of around 2K in repairs & maintenance in the first two months of owening it. It needed these repairs and since then I haven't had any real problems (knock on wood). I love this car b/c i believe in Chevy & its gona be a classic Monster truck one day.

96 Tahoe
By driesterer on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

126000 miles. no rust, no breakdowns, uses less than 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. nice truck.

Love it till Tran droped
By Pardoe1 on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Tahoe Great power and almost no problems in 2 years. Just a fuel pump. That was covered by extended warenty. BUT @ 111000miles the transmission droped 3rd and 4th and I was in the middle of no where. Limped it home and find the company I bought extended warenty from is belly up and dealer says oh well. I'm going to see if I can get a Allison trans in this thing.

Happy with my Tahoe
By dhill on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

This car has excellent power on demand. It has been a good toe car and given me very few problems. Of course you get typical GM stuff like the transfer case going bad in the drive train when I hardly ever use 4WD anyway. Overall, two thumbs up.

4 Transmissions in 4 Years
By dhawk on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Tahoe. I love it so much that I keep putting transmissions in it instead of getting rid of it. Just two days ago it ate its fourth transmission. Apparently there is a defect (complete with s TSB to fix it) that makes these trucks eat transmissions. Unfortunately, GM doesn't feel they owe the owners for the transmissions or the fix. Other than that, the truck is awesome. It will tow a boat, trailer, or car. It will haul your family and all their luggage. While driving, you feel totally safe. My gas mileage averages about 17 mpg and the ride is smooth.

Looking for new owner!
By Brent Rheinheimer on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Has tow package. First three years used to pull boat. Not since. Great SUV. No rust or dents. Paint is in very good condition. Mobile One oil since first oil change. All papers on service avaiable. Life time brakes. New Full set of new tires this year. New battery 2003.

Lemmmmon
By HenrytheDog on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

It seems chevy put explosive bolts in this thing. After 36k miles it's undependable. Compressor, transmission, alt., coil, ign switch, electronic trans case, etc.. This thing has been towed 4 times to the dealer.

Great Truck
By charley on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this truck! It has almost 160,000 mile and has had very few problems. I can always count, great towing power, great sound and comfort! I never want to get rid of it!