Used 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

All about my 1996 chev. Tahoe
By Fred hoffman

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Best vehicle ever owned bought new 20 years ago burgundy with silver bottom loaded 65200 original miles no rust or repaint all original. Better built than the new one,s. No comparison. Not for sale I could drive for a very long time. Solid but very well taken care of. That's the answer to long life.

BLUE
By Anthony

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

In my wildest dreams, I could not have built a better SUV. Bought in 2001 with 80 thsd on it. Tranny and engine blew within a year, but tranny was driver error. Engine (prior owner abuse), but free due to extended warranty. Parts replaced: t case seal, blinker/cruise control tree, water pump, alternator, sway bar links, brakes rotors and pads, coolant hoze, wires and plugs, windshield, shocks frot and back, upper and lower ball joints, battery, wiper fluid pump, and of course all fluids at recommended intervals. Normal wear and tear to be expected, and she has never let me down. Rain, sleet, snow, ice storms, blizzard, towing, 4 wheeling, car camping, pulling people out, Holidays, and road trips. I'm 6'3" and I can sit comfortably, in every seat of this beauty. I can pack in 4 people, and all their luggage comfortably, and still have room.
06 Denver blizzard, 6 feet of snow...not a problem, mountain trips to Aspen for camping, concerts, with all gear, coolers, media entertainment, chargers, and 7 hour drive one way, like butter. Roads closed down, and only way out a small, winding, treacherous road with 3 feet of snow, and incredible steep angles, yep.. no problem. Tail gating at Red rocks for large group of friends, done. Catering for 80 people, all food, deco, ovens, dish ware, and bar..all good.
Technology has come and gone, with bells, whistles, and gimmicks, and this, Beauty has performed and then some. I have upgraded every area possible. from stereo, chip, tuning, burl wood dash kit, air filter, headers, wifi, tires, wheels, custom mats, etc. And at a fraction of the cost of a new SUV. And did i mention, arguably the best truck/ suv engine ever built. My peeps have gone trough 5- too many cars, and this beast, has stood the test of time. I call it my living room on wheels. It has the most head/leg room, ever, and the body style is timeless. I do the maintenance, and its well worth my time. Many memories made, that were not possible with out this Beauty, and many more to come!

As good a vehicle as my 450sl
By John Ridgway

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 2dr SUV

You will love it and keep it until someone takes it from you.

Love my hoe
By Kelsie

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm 16 and my dad gave me his old Tahoe when I got my license. I love driving it, and it's really good in the snow. It has a great amount of space, and I can fit a lot of my friends in it. I highly recommend this Tahoe

Realistic Review of 1996 Tahoe
By sjbwis

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

All-in-all a great vehicle, though it had some problems. Bought vehicle w/115K miles in 2009 and got rid of recently when the tranny went kaput at 186K miles. Put about $3,500 in repairs. Biggest problems (other than the tranny) were the EGR & fuel pump (typical for Chevy trucks), ball joints and A/C compressor. Smaller items were heater control valve leaking and misc items breaking/failing. Can't complain though for a 16 year-old truck. Just make sure to purchase a Tahoe that hasn't towed a bigger trailer or boat (my mistake with this Tahoe). 2WD was very good in heavy winter snow. 4x4 was virtually unstoppable. The Chevy 350 will run forever without a problem if normal maintenance is done

The Chevy 350 Gen I engine is arguably the best engine ever made. Its durability, reliability and longevity (40 yrs of being built) is as good if not better than the best Japanese and German engines ever made. As long as general maintenance is done and the engine isn't beat on too hard, the Chevy 350 should easily get to 350K miles without major repair. At 186K miles, my Chevy 350 didn't burn a drop of oil or antifreeze and didn't leak at all. It ran like it had 30K miles on it. If you need a safe winter vehicle to get you somewhere in the worst winter conditions, look to the Tahoe. Because of its weight and shorter wheelbase, the Tahoe is virtually unstoppable in 4x4 mode.

Watch out for the tranny. This generation of Chevy trucks (Tahoe, Suburban, C/K 1500 pickup) has a notoriety of the tranny going out anywhere from 140K to 200K mi., depending on how the truck was used. Best to look for one without a trailer hitch (usually means no heavy hauling/abuse was done). Tranny will cost you between $1,500 and $3,000 to replace. The only other costly repairs unique to this vehicle are the EGR value ($250-$350) and the fuel pump ($350-$500). Ball joints ($600-$850) will go out on pretty much every 4x4 after 150K miles. A/C compressor ($600-$850) will go out, but this can happen with any car/truck/van over 10 years old.