1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Realistic Review of 1996 Tahoe
By sjbwis on 06/01/13 09:56 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

All-in-all a great vehicle, though it had some problems. Bought vehicle w/115K miles in 2009 and got rid of recently when the tranny went kaput at 186K miles. Put about $3,500 in repairs. Biggest problems (other than the tranny) were the EGR & fuel pump (typical for Chevy trucks), ball joints and A/C compressor. Smaller items were heater control valve leaking and misc items breaking/failing. Can't complain though for a 16 year-old truck. Just make sure to purchase a Tahoe that hasn't towed a bigger trailer or boat (my mistake with this Tahoe). 2WD was very good in heavy winter snow. 4x4 was virtually unstoppable. The Chevy 350 will run forever without a problem if normal maintenance is done

Great for just about anything
By ladymgr59 on 09/28/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1996 Tahoe in 2009 with 124,000 with the vortex V8. We are now in 2012, I now have 224,000 miles & driving it everyday. Work out of state and no worries about it failing yet. We have taken long trips, with extra people, camped in it, hauled motorcycles, and trailers. Now l will be pulling a camper. Great Truck as I call it. No leak at all, Have had to replace the usual maintenance like brakes, water pump, alternator, starter, fuel pump, tires. Never had any trouble with motor or trans. All power interior works like new. Runs strong.

Love this truck
By barron on 06/18/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this sport model when it had 125,000 on it for $6000.00. The only items I have replaced was the fuel pump, alternator, water pump, and transfer case. And it has had a regular tune up. I replaced most of the Items when it had over 150,000 miles on it. It now has over 162,000 on it now and is still going strong. The only thing I don't like is how the rear door opens. On mine you open the window and the door folds down like a tail gate on a pickup truck. It goes great in the snow and does everything I ask of it. The body on mine is excellent. Mine has the 5.7 vortec in it. All of the parts replaced were original factory parts. Love this truck

It's a Man's Truck!
By IT'S A MAN'S TRUCK on 09/07/09 18:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I had a 2001 surburban, got rid of it and bought the 96 tahoe.. Strong truck.. Transfer Case went out on 4x4.. Other than that I have 235,990 on it now.. Truck runs great no problem.. Oh yeah did change the intake gasket.. Great truck..

awesome
By blue beauty on 06/25/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv from a friend and it was in excellent shape it looked brand new all that we really needed to fix was the engine and buy new wipers but it is the best suv I have ever had....

my 2 door baby tahoe
By pointdexter on 06/22/09 11:33 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchase this truck in 2000 my baby is a 1996 2door 4x4 and what a story i have about this truck. in 2005 this baby was stolen and found strip the whole interior, door panels even the carpet everything was stolen they only left the dashboard, found a salvage yard and had the interior replace, also my transmission been replace twice, but I still like this truck I always get offers by people who see my truck, I have 165 k miles on this girl but she still runs and look new.

Good as new!
By Butch on 02/10/09 10:43 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I bought my '96 Tahoe, 4 door 2 wheel drive LT, brand new. It was easily the best vehicle of its type at the time. And I think it is still the best vehicle of its type after all these years. Masculine look. Heavier than the new SUV's that get blown around in the wind. It is a "truck"! I have used Mobil 1 5w30 Syn in it since about 25,000 miles. It now has over 130,000 miles. The inside of the engine looks like new. It does not use any oil. I have went as many as 8,000 miles between oil changes, but never more than a year. Mobil 1 fluids also in the transmission and rear end. Also syns in the brakes and steering pump. Valvoline. Truck still looks and drives almost like new. 22 mpg highway.

The best SUV I have ever owned/driven
By mike on 02/08/09 19:19 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only had my Tahoe for about a month. I've towed with it, used it for work and just driving with my family. I'm 25 yrs old and even the way I drive the truck still rides great, handles perfect, and I'm getting over 19mpg. Since the truck was used and had 168k miles on it when I bought it, it was really taken care of. The interior is luxury especially for a workable SUV.

Favorite Vehicle
By Dave on 05/29/07 03:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I regret having to sell this truck mostly due to the gas prices nowadays. Me being over 6'0 tall, I really do appreciate all the room this truck offers. I have not yet had any type of major engine problem (only replaced the water pump and alternator recently) and the engine still runs smooth. I really encourage anyone who does not have to drive long distances regularly and have kids then look at getting one too. Especially if you live in a winter or rugged enviornment.

Best trucks on the road
By alphaecho4386 on 04/19/07 15:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love this truck. I've always wanted a Tahoe, amazing room, excellent power, parts are easy to find, and just really nifty features like the underhood reel light, and storage box. I go to college and even though gas just ain't cheap, I never complain. This truck is just worth every penny. Gas mileage is not too bad for a full size truck. My friends and I take "the bus" whenever we head out as everything, and one, can fit in it. It works great around town, the turning radius and sight lines are excellent. And on the highway it hauls and cruises down the road. It's scarily fun to drive this 5k pound rig!

1 2 3 4 5 next »