Used 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe Hybrid model:

Honest Review, 2008 Tahoe Hybrid, Owned 5 yrs
By Thomas

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

2008 Tahoe Hybrid, birch metallic. Just sold it after 5 yrs ownership, bitter sweet ...

Honestly, I bought this big truck for its looks. And because I have 3 kids so I needed something bigger. Im also a car guy so I just cant spend $30 or $40 k and have to look at a minivan in my driveway. Im a man, so I do like to mow the lawn, wash the truck, and have a beer in the yard and admire both. This truck allowed me to check that box.

The magnesium alloy 18" wheels are beautiful and the box shape was so anti-minivan I just had to have it. The Tahoe had a legendary reputation. I also found my Hybrid model at a dealer off trade in for $35K with only 12K miles on it. Made the decision easy.

Good :
The looks. If you dont like the boxy GMT900 style, dont get it. Its the single most appealing feature. Its exterior far outshines the bland, big Pilot looking Expedition. The Durango in that time frame looked like it was built in the early 1900's. Nothing from the Germans came anywhere close for the price (or features). The looks of this vehicle sells it (and all those cheesy Hybrid decals come off easily using a hair dryer).

The ride was also great, I was dumbfounded as to how a body on frame vehicle could cruise at 85 mpg as if it were an Audi. Very impressive body dampening. Engine reliability was perfect for 90k miles. And the 6L V8 with electric motors assisting would really rocket this vehicle to dangerous speeds. Good thing it was limited to 96 mph, I often found myself hitting that limiter as the truck felt like it was good for much much more.

Now with the good comes the bad. This is a heavy, dumb, clumsy, body on frame truck. Make no mistake about that.

You are sacrificing vastly superior minivan and unibody drivability and mall parking lot maneuverability in big sums to own this truck. Its 39' turning radius is abysmal. Ingress/egress is also more difficult because it rides higher up. The 2wd model I owned was LESS capable off road than a Yugo GVX. It seemed like 90% of the weight rode on the front axle, and they drive the rear wheels. Dont take the 2wd version even into a dry lawn.

OK what else ... the transmission had a "clunkiness" that just got to my nerves eventually. It would sometimes get confused between hybrid mode, 4 cylinder, and 8 cylinder modes. This would result in driveline shutters and clunks that just should not of been there in a vehicle costing $55k new.

The rear diff was replaced under extended warranty at 80K miles. The entire rear diff, all the gears, bearings, bushings, everything. I never towed anything.

You have of course read about the infamous cracked dash issues. I wont go into that, but mine was nearly cracked in 2.

All the door locks failed repeatedly. Thankfully we found GruvenParts.com making the reliable replacements, never had a problem since.

The Nav and OnStar, while it all functioned fine, was far behind the times (and still is).

I miss the truck, mainly for its stunner looks. Sadly its reliablity and driveability left so much to be desired. I wonder if the 2015 model is better, I still see they use a live rear axle. I hope they didnt just reshape the sheet metal and slap a $70K sticker price on it. If they did, GM has no merit to receive another bail out. Cmon guys you can do far better...

I would not buy another GM, ever. Mainly due to the repeated interactions with GM customer service on the dash and door locks. They have hired off shore contractors to hire customer service who know nothing and care nothing about the US owners. With the dash, they directed me to a local dealer, then told me it was entirely up to them. I sat down with the service manager and he said why the heck is it my problem ? I agreed. The dash is flawed, GM should cover it, not give owners of $55K trucks a circle jerk. I will not buy another because of this. Sorry.

Loving the fuel efficiency!
By TreeHugger

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I've gotta say for the fuel efficiency, hands down, the best. Traded my old Range Rover for it & I'm super happy about my gas mileage but it is BIG. Bigger than any other vehicle I've had. The rear camera needs improvement (the angle and range are off). The rear sensors are not as sensitive as they should be (minor fender bender backed into a small car) But I get 30+ on the highway easy. Trust me, I'm always checking. They were very modest with the mpg. So whenever I'm in Atl or DC traffic, I'm laughing at the suckers who are burning up their money lol. Took the 3rd row seats out, there's no room for storage with them in.

Fuel Efficiency

Smaller size, like regular Tahoe. Fix rear camera, the angle is off. Make rear sensors more sensitive & give front sensors.

MyBrid!
By CJ

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I've had 2 other gas Tahoe's since 2004 and the #1 question I get when someone notices I have a Hybrid is "does it have any power?", and the second of course is "what kind of gas mileage do you really get". I'm always very proud to say it's more powerful than either of my 2 previous gas Tahoe's and I get 19-21 in town, and about the same on longer trips. I had the dealership remove all the decals on body, and removed the windshield decals myself with a hair dryer & WD40 (it really works!). The only thing I miss is my power tailgate. This Hybrid is Mybrid and if you want one, get your own!

GPS

Power tailgates

Not Happy
By flsunlover

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I traded in a BMW 745i for this vehicle for the space and 3rd row of seats. I was so happy at first, until things started breaking. First, every time i filled the gas tank up, the truck missed and wouldnt run. Something was wrong with the gas tank which allowed it to fill up too much. Second, a sensor went out causing me to almost not stop in a parking lot. Then, the hybrid system in the transmission went out. Now, my driver side rear door won't open and im taking it in tomorrow. Finally, I only average 16mpg city. This is nowhere near the 21 advertised on the sticker when I bought it.

Truck looks good. Nice electronics inside. OnStar.

Fix all the problems! Get it right before you sell it to the public.

I Love This Car!
By trisha

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl gas/electric hybrid 4A)

I absolutely love this car. I have only had it for a couple of weeks, and I like driving it more and more everyday. I had my eye on an 07 Tahoe when I purchased this one and I am so glad I did. Not to mention the black is fabulous! I have seen the ones with the hybrid decals, but mine did not come with those and I am glad. The gas mileage has proved better than the minivan we previously owned. I would recommend this care to anyone.

Navigation system. I am directionally impaired. I always get lost.

Quad seating, 6 disc CD