2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Nice ride, very capable vehicle
By Mark

2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on my experience with this vehicle as my agency assigned vehicle (emergency services). This 2015 suburban replaced my 2009 suburban. I started driving this vehicle in October and I just turned 10,000k miles this week (26 Jan). PROs: Very nice ride, car-like feel. Quiet. Great support in the seats. Smooth but not soft. Solid and stable at high speed (I've hit 102 with it, running lights and siren). Corners well for a vehicle of this size. Interior has a nice quality feel to it. I love the USB ports! Plenty of cargo room for my purpose (after we pitched the 3rd row seat that it wasn't supposed to come with, according to purchasing spec). The new headlamps are awesome, project well! CONs: For my purpose, the acceleration sucks! There is a huge delay in response from the gas peddle to wheels turning. At times, it is as if the truck is trying to figure out which gear to hit. By comparison, my personal vehicle is a 2500 Ram with the 6.4L Hemi, and also has a 6-speed transmission. There is no hesitation on my Ram when I punch the peddle. Chevy needs to work on this point. Another pet peeve is the windshield wiper controls. The outboard control operates the rear wiper blade / washer. The center control on the stick operates the front wipers / washers. That is completely backwards and anti-intuitive. The front wipers being what we use the most - why would that control not be the most immediately accessible in the outboard position on the turn stick? My 2009 suburban had the same stupid stick. I was hoping Chevy had changed that by now. My only other complaint is the low ground clearance. For a 4-wheel drive, it sits low. So low in fact, those running boards it came with are a trip hazard. I'm removing and tossing them as well. I'm now looking into a lift package. 75% of the value of 4WD is ground clearance. During Snowmeggeden 2016, I was plowing with my front air dam (also useless) and bumper. I've got to get some lift on this thing. OVERALL: Still a very nice vehicle and I enjoy driving it, despite the minor annoyances. If you are not doing crazy stuff the 4-wheel drive thing shouldn't be an issue for you. When my older pickup dies, I will likely replace it with a suburban.

severe buffeting/booming, truck bought back
By Suburban Owner

2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Drive it a lot before you buy. These trucks have an issue where the roof comes detached from the roof bows. This causes cabin booming like being inside a big drum. The roof will start to flex causing pressure changes that hurt your ears. It sounds like driving with a window down when they are all up. Our dealer reattached the roof bows but they came detached in a few months and the issues returned. We are having our vehicle bought back by GM. Beyond this issue the truck is great. Fuel economy is incredible for a vehicle of this size. The interior is best in class. Unfortunately, this booming/buffeting issue is to hard to live with.

Absolutely LOVE my 2015 Suburban LTZ (but....)
By eokerholm

2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I really love this car and very happy with the purchase. This is much bigger than my 2006 Honda Pilot that I was happy to get ride of (that thing was a lemon; coming from a guy who's owned 2 Hondas in the last 22 years). This drives well, not as lively as the 6.2L Denali, but my wallet and gas mileage appreciates that. Love all the radar and safety features, hands free, etc. Radar comes in hand when parking this lovely beast. Mileage is incredible. Over 2500 miles so far and I'm averaging in the 18+ mpg range. Mixed driving City/Hwy. On the Hwy, I got 26 mpg to San Antonio from Austin. I was ecstatic!

Favorites have to be the safety features like the radar, blind spot warning, rear view camera, etc. All useful when driving and especially when parking. I love the hands free Bluetooth and how quiet the car is so taking calls while driving is now safe and audible. I do appreciate all the gauges and information presented and how it shows you average mpg over last 50 or 400 miles to help make me a more efficient driver. Great fun to see the mpg so high for something as big as this. I get better mileage in this Suburban than in my 2006 Honda Pilot. In the city and on the highway. I'm also 6'6" and don't have to have the seat all the way back. What a treat that is. 3rd row flat!

Cup holders, especially in 2nd row, are way too small to hold coffee travel mugs or water bottles securely, so they spill. Shame as there is plenty of space in the door to incorporate deeper/safer cup holders. Seats are comfortable, but depending on how wide you are the raised seat will hit your leg funny. Just go test drive one. Outside of the cupholders and needing more functional/usable space in the front console I do love this car. Very cramped for the driver with not much space for easy to reach/access stuff like pens, etc. Center console is huge, almost too big. Not organized I'm very happy and can live and adjust with the above. Though the cup holders is an extreme annoyance.

Big problem
By jjdca4

2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The big new feature that so many we're looking forward to, the overdue power third row fold down seats do not work. They hit the second row and will not go down!! See suggested improvements

Smooth ride

Third row power seats will not work unless the headrest are manually lowered. When the headrest are lowered and a passenger gets in, the headrest stick out in the middle of their back so they have to raise them back up. That is fine until you are in the very back and push the button to lower the third back seat to load items, and because the headrest is back up again in position, it hits the second row seat and will not go down. So, you start over by climbing through the second row seat or climbing over everything in the very back and start over again lowering the headrest.... And you do this over and over again. They will have to offer a new designed third row headrest to replace these soon

2,500 Mile In My 2015 Suburban - A Memo To The Brand Team
By adplusone

2015 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LTZ 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Just rolled over 2,500 in my 2015 Suburban LTZ 4x4 (MSRP just over $ 71k). I have driven a Suburban since 1995 and I think this my 16th or 17th. LIKES 1) The comfort of the ride and (lack of) wind noise at speed is unbelievably quiet and in spite of the mass of the vehicle it is taunt. Have owned higher dollar Mercedes and BMW sedans and this Burb is better than both of them. 2) Gas mileage is def up from my last one (2013 LTX 4x4). Trip computer actually showed one segment at 20.4 MPG (highway at 75 cruise). Around town is right at 14 MPG...which is an improvement.

LIKES (Continued) 4) The power fold down (flat) seats are a blessing and work well. 5) The interior (Mahogany) is first class and the driving position is perfect for a vehicle of this size. 6) Still trying to work thru the electronics...but am getting there. Some of the functions can be distracting while driving. ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT 1) Have hit the lower air dam probably 10 times already (all on-road everyday around town driving). Never had that happen in any of my other Burbs. It has not been damaged yet but it is unnerving to say the least.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT (cont) 2) Had to order the $ 50 center console GM accessories tray. Otherwise the center console is a deep unusable void and not very practical for the things that are carried. 3) Have had real issues with both front and rear seat passengers complaining of sun glare off the dash. 4) YES there is a definite loss of behind the third seat real world cargo area. The hook(s) where we have a clothing rod that hangs between is so close to the third row that the hanging clothes have to hang at about 60 degree angle. 5) The rear cargo floor between the third row and the tailgate drops to the rear by about two inches. That is enough that items slide to the rear.

• SUV