Used 2013 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Why drive a small SUV? The Burb gets very good mpg
By Carnut

2013 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

My second Suburban, the first being a 2005. This one is a great vehicle especially in the Northeast US Winters. Extremely confidence inspiring in inclement weather. Also the crash test ratings are top of the list. I tow a 7500 lb boat, 20' enclosed car hauler, Snowmobile trailers and more with the truck with ease and comfort. When I am not towing I average 17 mpg in winter and 18 in summer. The 3.3 ltr V8 with 320 hp is fuel efficient and can pull when needed. When I am towing my enclosed car trailer with a car inside I can select tow haul mode and set my cruise control for 60 or 65 and unless I am in very steep mountainous conditions I am good to go. If hills are steep I may choose to select Manual transmission override and downshift to control hill descents but only rarely. Like most of my GM vehicles the reliability is above average and maintenance cost super low. At 30k miles I went to the dealer and asked them to go through the vehicle and do whatever is needed cost no object and they refused to do more than change the oil as nothing is required, this is typical. I have had to replace brakes and do oil changes, still no tires required.

My biggest complaint is flipping up and down the rear seats, its a pain. Also ride comfort with the big 20" chrome wheels is slightly harsh. Technology is a year or two behind. Overall a great vehicle. Why drive some puny down sized SUV that gets a whopping 18 or 20 mpg, when you can have it all?

The car luddites built
By zorro_oscuro

2013 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I'd had a Chevy Tahoe that I basically drove into the ground after 16 years and almost 200k miles, it was time to let it go.
I liked the car so decided to go with a Suburban because of the extra room.
Biggest financial blunder of my adult life.
I've only had the car about 9 months, so I can't really comment on the bones.
I was shocked that so much of the body is now cheap plastic.
As far as technology goes, I'm surprised it even has a radio.
It's so far behind the times that it's an embarrassment to drive in Silicon Valley.
I kid you not, my motorcycle helmet has a better designed "infotainment" system.

The backup camera has the guide bars that show exactly where you will go. A major bonus when backing up a trailer or in a cramped, dark public garage. I'm also a big fan of On-Star.

Take a GIANT leap into the present. My iPhone should be able to connect to the infotainment system. I should be able to see my address book on the touch screen. I should be able to stream music. I should be able to SEE the touch screen without having to look so far down the dash. The GPS should allow me to enter in addresses in order, not some weird thing where I start with the state and work backwards. I shouldn't need a lengthy conversation with the car every time I want to make a phone call. People should be able to hear what I'm saying on the phone, even at highway speeds. My motorcycle helmet should not have a more sophisticated infotainment system.

2013 Suburban LTZ
By dbart2013

2013 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Overall a beautiful truck with better than expected fuel consumption.
It has an Artistic interior with every comfort, except in cabin air filter.

A/C seats, smooth and quiet ride. Rear camera works great, love the outlines when driving in reverse.

In Cabin Air filter (removed a few years ago for what reason, we had to have the dealer make a custom filter for outside to keep the oak tree leaves from being shot into the cabin. The truck lets in all outside odors unless on recirculate and even then not great??? You would think for the price at least have as an add on. Cruise assist would be nice for traveling (old technology that should have already been added).

A great SUV, perfect for a large family or lots of cargo
By alpha1984

2013 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I should preface my review by first stating that this truck was only a short term rental, however it was certainly long enough to get an idea for this truck. The space in side is gigantic. I'm 6ft. 3 and had plenty of room. Of course it's what you expect from such a large vehicle. It had excellent road manners considering it's huge size, and road manners have been vastly improved over the old Suburbans. The V8 with active fuel management was seamless in shutting off cylinders, however I feel slightly more power would have helped move this behemoth. It was adequate around down, but if I had to tow anything I would opt for the bigger engine.

The headroom is unbeatable in this thing. If your tall like myself you'll love all the space. The automatic cylinder shut off was a neat feature too. Visibility is excellent too, very few blind spots. Plus Chevy managed to eliminate the hard truck ride without stripping it of its truck like feel.

As big as it is, I felt the back seats could have used about 2 more inches of legroom to really be perfect. Then again, I'm very tall. The only other qualm I had was the gas mileage. Obviously I didn't expect much, but it did fall about 2 mpg short of advertised numbers. If you're interested in buying one you'll know that this thing isn't going to be cheap to fill up.