2009 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
This Gen of Suburbans is only good to haul people, the utility/camping aspect is gone.
By thecarguy10 on 06/16/14 11:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2 2500 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

We have always had Suburbans and loved them, until the 2007-2014 body style. GM has really screwed the pouch on the interior design. The Dash is awkward and has no room for stuff (very important for long drives) and for the first time ever they don't offer a fold flat interior.... What gives, the say it's not cost effective, but yet they are charging 60k for one... I am selling mine because the back of the truck is only good to haul people, not cargo, not dogs or camping. As far as I am concerned I will not be buying anything newer then 2006... I can't believe we bailed GM out...

Avoid Suburbans with 5.3 engine
By boomer1971 on 08/18/13 07:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Hey everyone have had on going issues with my truck and wanted to share my experience . I have a 2009 Suburban with the 5.3 liter engine. I have been to the dealer 4 times with engine related issues. Me and my family have been left at the roadside by this truck. The truck has had the engine rebuilt at 38000 miles by the dealership and continues to consume oil at 41000 miles. I have no confidence in this truck any longer. I've requested a new engine or buyback. Best GM has to offer is $2000 certificate towards purchase of another GM product. Avoid the 5.3 liter versions of the Suburban/ Tahoe/ Yukon as many have had engine problems.

Clanking Noise Everytime it drives
By imlily on 04/28/11 12:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2009 Suburban that has been in the dealership 3 times for the same thing. Everytime the car is driven cold there is a clanking noise somewhere. The dealership could not find out what it was so they started to say that at first it was a broken weld, then they said the chassis had some bolts tightened, then they tightened up bolts in the transmission. I don't feel like it is a safe drive at all and am very concerned that the dealership is with holding information from me. Oh and when I asked them for my paper work the 2nd visit they didn't want to give it to me. I had to argue with them to release the paperwork to me. Very concerned and the car was not cheap.

Chevy is letting me down...
By NotPleased on 11/24/09 18:06 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I Recently purchased my Suburban less than a month ago and I'm already running into nightmares with constant trips to the dealership. My check engine light has already came on twice due to the ECU (Computer) changing my fuel settings which ends up leading to my truck not starting or running extremely rough. They keep resetting the ECU and it will run for a couple of days but I'll end up right back to where I started from, not driving. The truck is at the dealership as I write this... so beware, this truck is an electronic mess. Now I'm sure I just ended up getting a bad build from the factory line but there are a few people already out there suffering with the same problems that I'm having.

Love it!
By Dcarver292 on 10/27/09 13:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I love my new Suburban. I used the Costco buying program and paid $400 under invoice! The truck is perfect, it rides like a dream and and the kids love the DVD player. It is very easy to drive and with the rear camera it is a dream to park.

SofarSogood
By AnthonyinCastleRock, on 10/26/09 19:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Traded in my 2006 Expedition. Loved the Expedi, but wanted more room and hated the look of the Expedi EL. Drove the Suburban for 800 miles around town and then took it 4,600 miles back east with the whole crew. Excellent truck. Great ride and the best looking SUV out there. The mileage was unreal, averaged 18.5mpg for the trip. Mostly highway, but 4x4 on the beaches of the Outer Banks for 7 days. The six speed tranny is good, but it does shift abruptly and awkwardly once in a while. The seats are super comfortable, but I went with cloth because I am sick of the leather looking like crap after a year. This is the worst Chevy cloth ever, everything pills up on it so get seat covers.

Shuddering Suburban
By David DNO on 09/08/09 04:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

My 2009 Suburban is spacious, elegant and well built. The cabin is very quiet at any speed, and the handling for such a large vehicle is impressive. I have a large family and the Suburban is the only "Car" that suits my needs. The Suburban has the ability to cut down to 4 cylinders on flat or down hill surfaces to improve fuel economy. The down side to this feature, which is standard on ALL models, is the unfortunate tendency to "shudder". The truck will "buck" during a coast. Sometimes accompanied by a distinct clattering from the engine compartment. Additionally, when accelerating up hill, the truck will lumber, failing to accelerate, as the engine screams to answer the command.

Very Pleased so far
By 5th Suburban on 09/02/09 21:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Our 5th Suburban in the last 20+ years, this is the best by far. Creature comforts are significantly improved over previous years, and the 6-speed transmission and proven 5.3 V8 are strong and smooth. Looks like this will be a very good vehicle for years to come.

Nice Truck
By Very Nice on 07/10/09 21:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Just bought the Suburban LTZ for my wife and 4 daughters. So far VERY happy with the Chevrolet. Disappointed with cheap plastics but overall a very good feel inside. Truck is very smooth and relaxing for such a big vehicle. Not trouble at all to drive for the wife with the backup sensors. Love the big power tailgate and 20 inch rims with the Bridgestones. Rides great. Plenty of power and looks to be as good of mileage in town. If you're thinking about buying a mini van worried about mileage, suck it up and get the Suburban you won't be sorry.

Buyer Beware
By MR on 06/30/09 11:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LT2 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Nothing but headaches since we purchased it. Back and forth to dealership to address shuddering/vibration and power issues. (5 times so far) No codes no TSB so they say no problem, car has intermittent shudder at low speeds occurring while accelerating up incline now occurs any time accelerating. Told vibration is normal for these vehicles due to electronic drive system.hesitation when pressing on gas going up inclines lack of power feels as if struggling to get up hill,could not imagine how this could tow anything,shuddering at times is quite severe in as whole vehicle feels as if it shakes, does not seem normal.Customer service at GM is less than helpful

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban in VA is:

$125 per month*