Used 2008 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Sinking More Money Into my 2008 Suburban
By 08suburbanne

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So very disappointed with my 2008 Suburban. The car stalled in motion and I lost control. Had it towed to the dealership and told my CPS (Crank Shaft Sensor) failed but my VIN is not covered under the recall (GM06083) which is for the same issue. $500 out of my pocket. Dealership - no help! Called GM - no help. Called NHTSA - filed safety complaint. Thankfully not many cars were out on the road but I could have been hit and having my young son in the car was nerve racking. 15 months ago engine went - again another known problem but no recall on my VIN. Very disappointed Chevy owner here! Been a Chevy owner for 20 years. Stand behind what you build!

Suggested Improvements

If I am paying for a $65k car - I expect superior performance. This car is unreliable and becoming a money pit. Improve the engine design and stand behind what you build. Improve the inner chrome handles - cut my hand more times than I can count. Recalls should be extended to all years especially if a known issue comes up - empower your dealerships to pay for the cost of repairs where they have occurred in other year models. American made is not something to be proud of in this model car.

Do Not Purchase a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban
By patsfanman67

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Junk!! My Suburban has required air bag sensor replacement ($300), the 4 wheel drive stopped functioning for unknown reasons, the Stabilitrac stopped functioning for unknown reasons, the Traction Control stopped functioning for unknown reasons, exterior lighting stopped working (puddle lamps, license plate lamps), and window buttons stopped working. All before it hit 80k miles! The frame and undercarriage is rusted beyond recognition too. General Motors is proven unreliable and proven to be unable to build a sound vehicle. I will never buy another GM vehicle and I think the company should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Allowing G.M. to go bankrupt!

Computer is junk, hub assemblies fail
By a_edwill

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It's a nice, roomy vehicle. After owning it about a year though the automatic window motors went out one by one. Then we lost cruise control. Then the air conditioner, but it eventually came back. One day I got in and started it, none of the panel items (speedometer, gas gauge, etc) worked. Had to replace both of the hub assemblies a couple years ago, they said it's a known issue with Suburbans. I've had it 4 1/2 years now and the electrical system is hosed. Dealer wants $1000 to replace the computer. It's junk. Will trade it in on something that isn't junk.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problems with the hub assemblies. Fix the computer issues. Perhaps if they were programmed by Americans?

Great Large SUV. Comfort, Smooth, ROOM ROOM ROOM!
By the_q

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had an interesting last 4 years or so with SUVs. Had a Mercedes ML, hated it, not functional. Trade-in for a Jeep GC, but then with the baby, dogs and hauling guests and cargo to the boat, it became way too small. Was hesitant about Chevy but needed a big SUV that could seat 6 adults + cargo. Navigator was garbage. Sequoia too small, ford looked terrible in the rear. Was looking at Yukon's but found a great deal on this Suburban. Love it. Wife Loves it. It drives really smooth. Thought the 5.3L would be too small (had the HEMI in the GC) but it is enough, plus the HP can be improved with simple mods.

Favorite Features

Controls at fingertips. Power liftgate. Good navigation system. DVD. Cargo space is amazing (we have the 2nd bench and fold one 3rd row up). Gas mileage is great for a vehicle of this size.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials could be a bit better. The dash and, in particular, the wood trim could look more real. Windows should have an auto up feature. Would like to hear less wind/outside noise when on the highway. Have heard a lot of complaints about oil consumption, hope that doesn't surface.

Will own nothing else
By EXBCMC

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is our 4th sub/Tahoe. The best so far, but. The door actuators are a problem with this year sub. All four doors have failed. The steering wheel covering bubbled but was replaced on warranty. The sun visors are bubbling, as well. Bought this vehicle for the snow and so far, so good.

Favorite Features

Room for a family with 3 large dogs that drive 1.5 hrs to a cabin every weekend. Great for snow

Suggested Improvements

Come on GM, the door actuators?