2008 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Sinking More Money Into my 2008 Suburban
By 08suburbanne on 02/18/15 08:32 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So very disappointed with my 2008 Suburban. The car stalled in motion and I lost control. Had it towed to the dealership and told my CPS (Crank Shaft Sensor) failed but my VIN is not covered under the recall (GM06083) which is for the same issue. $500 out of my pocket. Dealership - no help! Called GM - no help. Called NHTSA - filed safety complaint. Thankfully not many cars were out on the road but I could have been hit and having my young son in the car was nerve racking. 15 months ago engine went - again another known problem but no recall on my VIN. Very disappointed Chevy owner here! Been a Chevy owner for 20 years. Stand behind what you build!

Do Not Purchase a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban
By patsfanman67 on 09/15/14 12:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Junk!! My Suburban has required air bag sensor replacement ($300), the 4 wheel drive stopped functioning for unknown reasons, the Stabilitrac stopped functioning for unknown reasons, the Traction Control stopped functioning for unknown reasons, exterior lighting stopped working (puddle lamps, license plate lamps), and window buttons stopped working. All before it hit 80k miles! The frame and undercarriage is rusted beyond recognition too. General Motors is proven unreliable and proven to be unable to build a sound vehicle. I will never buy another GM vehicle and I think the company should have been allowed to go bankrupt.

Computer is junk, hub assemblies fail
By a_edwill on 05/16/13 18:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It's a nice, roomy vehicle. After owning it about a year though the automatic window motors went out one by one. Then we lost cruise control. Then the air conditioner, but it eventually came back. One day I got in and started it, none of the panel items (speedometer, gas gauge, etc) worked. Had to replace both of the hub assemblies a couple years ago, they said it's a known issue with Suburbans. I've had it 4 1/2 years now and the electrical system is hosed. Dealer wants $1000 to replace the computer. It's junk. Will trade it in on something that isn't junk.

Great Large SUV. Comfort, Smooth, ROOM ROOM ROOM!
By the_q on 09/22/11 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had an interesting last 4 years or so with SUVs. Had a Mercedes ML, hated it, not functional. Trade-in for a Jeep GC, but then with the baby, dogs and hauling guests and cargo to the boat, it became way too small. Was hesitant about Chevy but needed a big SUV that could seat 6 adults + cargo. Navigator was garbage. Sequoia too small, ford looked terrible in the rear. Was looking at Yukon's but found a great deal on this Suburban. Love it. Wife Loves it. It drives really smooth. Thought the 5.3L would be too small (had the HEMI in the GC) but it is enough, plus the HP can be improved with simple mods.

Will own nothing else
By EXBCMC on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is our 4th sub/Tahoe. The best so far, but. The door actuators are a problem with this year sub. All four doors have failed. The steering wheel covering bubbled but was replaced on warranty. The sun visors are bubbling, as well. Bought this vehicle for the snow and so far, so good.

Questionable quality
By Bill F on 06/29/10 18:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My 2008 LTZ with the 6 / 8 cylinder engine is consuming 1 qt oil per 1,500 miles. Chevy is aware of the problem but is still trying to rectify it. That and my rear main seal leaks at 38,000 miles. The truck is comfortable, stylish, rides well, and fits a lot of stuff. The troubles above and other small items make the quality a big question.

Multiple Problems
By dlm on 05/12/10 15:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the dealer's model with 10,000 miles on it, it has been in the shop 8x and counting with only 36,500 miles. After 1 month, veh. died while driving, dealer had it 2 weeks wks I was told "talking to Detroit" they replaced fuel pump. 1 week later started truck and was letting it warm up and it shut off and would not restart. Engine light has come on multiple times and dealer has been unable to find problem. The front pass door has broken twice. Had to have the CV boot replaced 2 months ago, now have rust and bubbling on driver door that dealer will not cover. Still not resolved are whistling through radio that increases with acceleration and turn on rear defrost causes radio to go out.

Expensive Lemon!
By Joe on 11/17/09 21:21 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this 2008 Suburban about 15 months ago and it has been in and out of the shop ever since. Tire sensors keep failing. Power locks keep failing. Last and worst - had to replace BOTH front hub rings at different times. Left front wheel almost flew off on highway at 65 MPH! Definite NOT as reliable and indestructible as my two 2001 Suburbans. Have they started making them out of plastic? I get an idea why GM went bankrupt now.

Outstanding Big Time SUV
By VeteranDriver on 08/12/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Outstanding comfort with all of the luxury items at the fingertips of the driver. My wife loves the power lift gate, heated seats, and overall space in the vehicle. Since it is the LTZ, the bose system and dvd make long range travel a pleasure.

4th one and still love it!
By DT on 07/09/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

They just keep getting better. I had a Tahoe and 2 other Suburbans previously. The '98 Suburban I had really felt like it stuck to the road, the '01 lost that truck feel and felt loose. The ride of the '08 is great, the appearance is great, the highway/city mixed mileage is about 16 on gas and 13 on E85. I like the on- board computer w/mileage performance, XM Radio, On-Star and monthly status e- mails. The kids like the heated rear seats and DVD player plus they can load all of their junk easily.