Used 2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Losing patience with Chevy fast!
By Dave

2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am as loyal a buyer as Chevy can have after buying 7 Suburban/ Tahoes but have ready to throw in the towel after the issues experienced with my 07 LTZ. It's now burning 1-3 quarts every 2K miles and it's going in for the new fix (waited 8 mos) tomorrow. If they resolve the oil issue I may be back. Otherwise I am turning it in for Ford Exp EL. It's the best design yet, but what good is it if its always in the shop? We love doing family vacations in it but have had too many problems: 1. excessive oil use 2. washer heater -removed my favorite option! 3. Erratic A/C 4. Chrome peeling off int. door handles 5. U-joint 6. 4WD switch breaks 7. Front bumper breaks in snow! 8. 16 mpg max

Heater washer fluid (gone now!), auto mirrors, rain sensing wipers,auto tailgate, Auto 4WD, the big bad 20" alloy rims (Bridgstone Duellers last +80K mi!), safety features, room and ride.

Help me continue to buy American! Get rid of the 4/8 active engine and the frail front bumper! Lower the rear tow hitch. Fix the auto fold seat system -rarely works, bigger DVD screen. Improve reliability, MPG, & increase warranty coverage. Lower new prices, they are insane even if quality improves.

Pros and Cons at 50,000 miles
By Tim in Wisconsin

2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

1st, everyone is complaining about oil leaks. I can drive mine from WI to AR 850 miles in one day, and not be down a drop. I can drive mine to work and back, etc, and be down a qt at 5K miles. I believe that when there is no compression in the cylinders when I am in V-4 mode some trace amounts must be getting past the rings. No oil in tail pipe though, and pass emissions with flying colors. 2nd, my #3 cylinder had a hydraulic lifter collapse. I have the 327. This is what happens when major manufacturers subcontract their work. Dealer took care of it a-ok. No problems since. Third, every snow my "service 4WD" light comes on. Always goes out after night in garage. 18mpg at 60 mph, 16 at 70

It's a suburban, not very much it can't do. That's why I bought it. I use Mobile 1, a K&N air filter, and nitrogen in tires. Thus the better than average MPG that has been rated, and still running on OEM tires. Really, it has done everything we've asked of it with only one repair.

Don't by a OEM wireless DVD system. It can't block out FM signals, and not enough channels to switch to when getting interfered. More time in the wind tunnel. A bit noisy on the highway. Make 2nd row seats adjustable like in the Traverse. Seats too fat/thick? My '72 didn't have same problem.

Much improved but, painful at pump
By motorhead

2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've leased 3 Sbans since '00. The new '07 re-design is the best one yet but beware of the horrendously bad gas mileage and related GM lies. I've never been able to average more than 10.2 mpg in NY metro area driving. As far as FLEX fuel, there's none to be found anywhere. I felt the pain mostly when fuel went to $5/gal in '08. The 4- cyl mode never works unless going downhill, with a tailwind and completely empty. Problems with 4 door latches that cut your hands open, noisy seat belt tensioners, broken fuel door latch, poor carpeting (easily soiled), start-up knocking engine noise (rockers or mains not getting enough oil). Not keeping this one either, GMAC wants $34K and will not budge.

Ride comfort, cargo room, winter weather toughness, offroad capabilities, strong full truck frame, good set of creature comforts, good local dealer support.

Large I4 or V6 turbo diesel w/ 6-speed automatic like GM promised 4 years ago. Improving the ROI and not just raising prices for a mediocre vehicle. GMAC should make residuals negotiable which would save them money in the long run by not having to transport, dispose, auction...

Loving this can get OLD.
By Burban

2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My dad leased this suburban 3 years ago. I am a 19 year old and i can honestly say that i love this truck. It has great pep when u need it. 5.3 L is exceptionally worthy of praise. Exhaust sounds great and its quiet on the highway. Decent gas mileage 14 city 20 highway. I love the cylinder shut off feature, i like to c how long i can stay in V4 mode. Heads up display on the instrument panel is awesome. Captain seats are a little uncomfortable after an hours ride. second Row is comfortable and 3rd row could use better seats. Overall great ride, decent mileage, so-so seats, and great cargo space behind the 3rd row.

Steering wheel mounted controls, Driver seat controls, Large console, 2nd row air/heat controls, you can easily get 20mpg n city driving doing 40 mph without hammering your foot down. An abundance of cup holders.

A lot, Standard passenger side seat controls (on LT model), Reclining 2nd row bench seat, better 3rd row seats that can fold flat, lose excessive seat weight, Make power lift gate standard on LT models, Instrument panel looks kind of dull and dreary, A telescopic steering wheel.

Oil consumption
By frustrated

2007 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Consumes 1.5 qt of oil every 1000 miles since 47,000 miles. Have to take to dealership every 1000 miles for oil consumption test to get GM to warranty if they ever find a fix. They were supposed to have a fix Feb. 2009, now it is July 2010 and still no fix. Have a friend with a 2009 Suburban with same problem. Also have had battery drain problems.

Seating. Exterior design.

Fix oil consumption problem. Fix battery/electrical problems.