Used 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

I'm sold on the Suburban!
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started looking for an SUV months ago. I test drove Yukon XL & Sequoia before deciding on the Suburban. People that complain about the gas mileage are a bit delusional. For the size of vehicle & engine, it's pretty amazing, actually. I've been getting 16-17 mpg in horrible traffic conditions. I avg 21.4mpg on the hwy @60mph & 19.9mpg @70mph. My Tundra got 18mpg @70! It's more quiet & rides more smoothly than the Tundra or Sequoia, not to mention has a better turning radius. It's just a few inches longer, too, but has far more interior space. I admit it's not as luxurious as a Denali or Navigator, but I couldn't pass it up. If you're afraid of the size, don't be. You get used to it quickly

Favorite Features

-Lack of road & wind noise -Smoothness of engine & controls -Space! -Steering wheel controls for stereo, trip computer, Onstar, etc.

Suggested Improvements

-Split third row seating (like the Tahoe). -Allow the second row 60/40 bench seat to recline

1500 LS 5.3 V8
By rsm8

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased used from a dealer with 19,000 miles. We traded in our '03 Sequoia because we needed the additional seating and cargo room. Mechanically the car has been very good. My only complaint would be the alignment seems to need adjustment about every six months (we had it done in Dec and again in June). I rated the build quality at a 7 because I think the interior is very cheaply made. After owning a Toyota, it is very apparent to us how flimsy the plastic accessories are. All four of the plastic covers at the base of the seats are in need of replacement. Overall we like the interior space and seating. It also drives nicely, but GM is lucky Toyota doesn't build a bigger Sequoia.

Favorite Features

Seating and cargo room in rear. Redesigned brakes seem to work very well and last well for a big vehicle. It also drives well for such a big SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the mechanical quality and build a better interior. The cheap and flimsy plastic interior is nowhere near the quality of Toyota. Design the third row seat to be wider. Toyota also has a much nicer third row seat.

Great (big) SUV
By ptlytch07

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my third Suburban since 1999. I absolutely love this vehicle and there is nothing else on the market that comes close in terms of size and seating capacity. We have a very large family (6 kids) and they can all sit fairly comfortably, although the backseat is a tight fit for teenagers. The front seats are incredibly comfortable and this vehicle is great for long trips. The fuel economy is terrible, but what do you expect from something of this size and weight? My only complaint is that Chevrolet went really cheap in order to save money and took out little amenities like a glove box light and an engine light to make more profit.

Favorite Features

Comfort, size, drivability.

Suggested Improvements

Quit trying to improve profits by getting rid of amenities. Put the customer first! Improve the warranty (I believe this has been done) and improve gas mileage.

We Love Our New GM
By Gibbs1

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Surburban is a great truck. Recent family road trip 2400 miles roundtrip 18.2mpg. Very smooth ride and V8, plenty of power. Hydro boost brakes are strong and no rattles. Wife loves to drive it. Comfortable and quiet,great view of traffic, feels solid, better than averageg SUV turn radius and fits in the garage.Thanks GM

Favorite Features

LT package, 10 power Heatd seats, OnStar, factory installed XM and DVD,second row reclining buckets, 3rd row seat folds up or you can remove, room behind 3rd seat when in use.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse sensing system,lockable storage console and glove box with light. Bring back the double sun visors and windshield tinted sun strip.