Used 2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Suburban LTZ
By ryan w

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 2500 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Since there wasnt an option for the LTZ i picked the 2500 option. Same engine, V8 6.0, but not a dually.
I bought this in 2014, 3rd owner, with only 74000 miles on it. Ran great, but the fuel pump went due to upstate NY rust problems. Then the tranny went. Got a rebuilt one, but then the radiator cooler exploded, and down went the tranny again. Replaced that at 106000. Now have 113+
Pit new michelins on it, and hopefully now is as good as new. Luxurious options throughout. Plenty of room for wife and 5 kids. Holds value, and the LTZ is unique and hard to find in this year.
Switched to a k&n filter for better mileage, now average about 14 city.
Typical other repairs, wheel hubs, brakes, all in all not too bad, after the transmission went.
I use only synthetic oil, and engine runs quiet.

I will never buy a Chevy again!
By JO

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First the gas tank went. 2nd the transmission failed. 3rd 4 wheel drive got stuck and had to be replaced. Now I am constantly loosing anti freeze. (another big problem) Chevy is so bad. Ps I had to pay out of my own pocket. No help from Chevy. Do not buy a Chevy!

Surburban = Lemon
By Paul Lenich

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a new surburban in 2006. After 60,000 miles, the transmission failed and I had to spend $3k on a new one. The vehicle was out of warranty and GM offered no assistance. I am extremely disappointed that after spending $50k on a vehicle that it needed a new transmission with so low mileage. This is my first GM car and my last. I have owned three nissans and one volov and the quality of the suburban is well below the others. I would advise shopping around.

I'm sold on the Suburban!
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started looking for an SUV months ago. I test drove Yukon XL & Sequoia before deciding on the Suburban. People that complain about the gas mileage are a bit delusional. For the size of vehicle & engine, it's pretty amazing, actually. I've been getting 16-17 mpg in horrible traffic conditions. I avg 21.4mpg on the hwy @60mph & 19.9mpg @70mph. My Tundra got 18mpg @70! It's more quiet & rides more smoothly than the Tundra or Sequoia, not to mention has a better turning radius. It's just a few inches longer, too, but has far more interior space. I admit it's not as luxurious as a Denali or Navigator, but I couldn't pass it up. If you're afraid of the size, don't be. You get used to it quickly

-Lack of road & wind noise -Smoothness of engine & controls -Space! -Steering wheel controls for stereo, trip computer, Onstar, etc.

-Split third row seating (like the Tahoe). -Allow the second row 60/40 bench seat to recline

3rd Suburban
By dshackel

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love these trucks. Current one is a replacement for one I totaled hitting trees head-on. I walked away without a scratch, police were astounded and credited the vehicle. I drive 130 miles round trip to work daily and never have a problem, even get decent mileage. We haul everything from goats to furniture in the back with no issue - and this is the leather, captains chair model. Just a great family driver.

leather, heated seats, DVD player, auto suspension and ONSTAR.

dashboard and console area could be a little classier looking