Used 2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

I will never buy a Chevy again!
By JO

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First the gas tank went. 2nd the transmission failed. 3rd 4 wheel drive got stuck and had to be replaced. Now I am constantly loosing anti freeze. (another big problem) Chevy is so bad. Ps I had to pay out of my own pocket. No help from Chevy. Do not buy a Chevy!

Surburban = Lemon
By Paul Lenich

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a new surburban in 2006. After 60,000 miles, the transmission failed and I had to spend $3k on a new one. The vehicle was out of warranty and GM offered no assistance. I am extremely disappointed that after spending $50k on a vehicle that it needed a new transmission with so low mileage. This is my first GM car and my last. I have owned three nissans and one volov and the quality of the suburban is well below the others. I would advise shopping around.

I'm sold on the Suburban!
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started looking for an SUV months ago. I test drove Yukon XL & Sequoia before deciding on the Suburban. People that complain about the gas mileage are a bit delusional. For the size of vehicle & engine, it's pretty amazing, actually. I've been getting 16-17 mpg in horrible traffic conditions. I avg 21.4mpg on the hwy @60mph & 19.9mpg @70mph. My Tundra got 18mpg @70! It's more quiet & rides more smoothly than the Tundra or Sequoia, not to mention has a better turning radius. It's just a few inches longer, too, but has far more interior space. I admit it's not as luxurious as a Denali or Navigator, but I couldn't pass it up. If you're afraid of the size, don't be. You get used to it quickly

Favorite Features

-Lack of road & wind noise -Smoothness of engine & controls -Space! -Steering wheel controls for stereo, trip computer, Onstar, etc.

Suggested Improvements

-Split third row seating (like the Tahoe). -Allow the second row 60/40 bench seat to recline

3rd Suburban
By dshackel

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love these trucks. Current one is a replacement for one I totaled hitting trees head-on. I walked away without a scratch, police were astounded and credited the vehicle. I drive 130 miles round trip to work daily and never have a problem, even get decent mileage. We haul everything from goats to furniture in the back with no issue - and this is the leather, captains chair model. Just a great family driver.

Favorite Features

leather, heated seats, DVD player, auto suspension and ONSTAR.

Suggested Improvements

dashboard and console area could be a little classier looking

We enjoy our Suburban
By JGD

2006 Chevrolet Suburban SUV LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have had our Suburban for almost 2 years. We moved up in size from a Ford Explorer. Explorer is junk! We enjoy the extra seating and tons of space when 3rd row is folded down. My husband and I are large people and we are very comfortable in the front seats. Kids love the DVD. One thing though, the electronic displays get very hot on the radio and DVD after car has been running for about an hour. Honestly, you can almost burn yourself. The gas mileage is not much worse than the Explorer that seated 5 people and this seats 7. It handles well on the road and is a pleasure on long trips. It does take some time to learn all the electronic "gadgets". After two years, the car has been good!

Suggested Improvements

On/off button for stereo on steering wheel, better transmission. This one makes me wonder when we might get into problems.