Used 2006 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

210k later and keeps on ticking!
By dean Carter

2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Suburban are the best full size suv for the money. Have only had to replace the transmission at 160k and the is running strong at 210k.Bought brand new in December 2005.

Suburban LTZ
By ryan w

2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 2500 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Since there wasnt an option for the LTZ i picked the 2500 option. Same engine, V8 6.0, but not a dually.
I bought this in 2014, 3rd owner, with only 74000 miles on it. Ran great, but the fuel pump went due to upstate NY rust problems. Then the tranny went. Got a rebuilt one, but then the radiator cooler exploded, and down went the tranny again. Replaced that at 106000. Now have 113+
Pit new michelins on it, and hopefully now is as good as new. Luxurious options throughout. Plenty of room for wife and 5 kids. Holds value, and the LTZ is unique and hard to find in this year.
Switched to a k&n filter for better mileage, now average about 14 city.
Typical other repairs, wheel hubs, brakes, all in all not too bad, after the transmission went.
I use only synthetic oil, and engine runs quiet.

I will never buy a Chevy again!
By JO

2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First the gas tank went. 2nd the transmission failed. 3rd 4 wheel drive got stuck and had to be replaced. Now I am constantly loosing anti freeze. (another big problem) Chevy is so bad. Ps I had to pay out of my own pocket. No help from Chevy. Do not buy a Chevy!

Surburban = Lemon
By Paul Lenich

2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a new surburban in 2006. After 60,000 miles, the transmission failed and I had to spend $3k on a new one. The vehicle was out of warranty and GM offered no assistance. I am extremely disappointed that after spending $50k on a vehicle that it needed a new transmission with so low mileage. This is my first GM car and my last. I have owned three nissans and one volov and the quality of the suburban is well below the others. I would advise shopping around.

I'm sold on the Suburban!
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I started looking for an SUV months ago. I test drove Yukon XL & Sequoia before deciding on the Suburban. People that complain about the gas mileage are a bit delusional. For the size of vehicle & engine, it's pretty amazing, actually. I've been getting 16-17 mpg in horrible traffic conditions. I avg 21.4mpg on the hwy @60mph & 19.9mpg @70mph. My Tundra got 18mpg @70! It's more quiet & rides more smoothly than the Tundra or Sequoia, not to mention has a better turning radius. It's just a few inches longer, too, but has far more interior space. I admit it's not as luxurious as a Denali or Navigator, but I couldn't pass it up. If you're afraid of the size, don't be. You get used to it quickly

-Lack of road & wind noise -Smoothness of engine & controls -Space! -Steering wheel controls for stereo, trip computer, Onstar, etc.

-Split third row seating (like the Tahoe). -Allow the second row 60/40 bench seat to recline