2005 Chevrolet Suburban 5.3L V8 FFV 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Highly recommended, plus decent MPGs

2005 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Review

1500 LS 4dr SUV (5.3L V8 FFV 4-speed Automatic)

Highly recommended, plus decent MPGs
By 99avalon on

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

For 2 yrs we have owned an 05 Suburban 1500 LS 2wd and we love it. It is comfortable, capable, and spacious. I have hauled 9 large adults in it for work trips. We tow our family quads to the dunes or the cabin with it. We travel, and run errands, and basically do everything with it. Easy to get in and out of. Low maintenance. 139K miles. All original. Last week I drove from Utah to Arizona and back with my boys and a load of stuff, and at 70 mph with the cruise/AC on I averaged 23.5 mpgs with my manual calculations. My wife loves this truck for hauling kids and friends to school or the park. I love how smooth it rides down the freeway and the power it has. It's a perfect vehicle for us.

Favorite Features

5.3 V8 power and fuel efficiency. Driving from Springville Utah to Centerville Ut at 60mph on I-15 I average 27-28 mpg. That is true, hand calculations, only mirrored by the electronic display. 2wd makes a difference in fuel economy, and it still does great in the snow and off road. It tows lighter loads very well, haven't towed heavy with it yet. The seats are comfortable. It still feels trucky enough, unlike the newer Suburbans.

Suggested Improvements

Improved fit/finish. Small trim pieces break or come loose. The rear ac controls quit working, but front AC is good enough to cool the entire vehicle.