Used 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

King of the road
By harry

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck drives very nicely in highway crusing. My family loves it, especially for long distance travel. DVD makes trip a lot short. The size makes it feel like the king of the road. Money-can't-buy confidence knowing that my family will be safer than most other people riding in many other types of cars.

Favorite Features

Size, folding mirrors, DVD, 3-zone auto AC, 6-CD Bose sound system. OnStar satellite phone. Toughness of the truck. Relative low height and wide wheel span

Suggested Improvements

Backing rear view camera/sensor.

Just love it
By harry

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Z71 for the safety, size, and comfort. I have been rearended several times and as an structural engineer, I know when it comes to collision, the only thing it really matters is the size. I view the extra gas I paid as the cost of buying the life insurance for my family. For insurance, I get nothing, for Suburban, my family gets to enjoy the ride everyday. There is just nothing like driving/riding in a big truck. I love it.

Favorite Features

Everything

05 Suburban-cross country tested
By KF

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove my new LT from Mass to Colo and then Calif and back to Colo then home while visiting my 2 daughters for 4 weeks, and it performed flawlessly in all weather for 6,850 miles, and got 17.9 MPG for entire trip. I noticed front tires had inner edge scuffing when I returned and Dealer determined car was out of alignment from factory, so they aligned it at 9K miles and put two new tires on under warranty. I am very pleased with how it rides and handles.

Favorite Features

Power folding mirrors, (I had one broken at a carwash on older Subby..not cheap to get fixed) numbered keyfobs that recall your seating presets, stabilitrak/auto ride keeps car from leaning while cornering. Tri zone A/C & Heat, Dvd player, comfortable ride, and good handling-it'sfun to drive this!

Suggested Improvements

Hard to close last door unless I slam it with all windows closed (too airtight). I added backup camera system for $850. They shd offer it when new for this monster. I wish the gas tank was still 40 gals like my '99 GMC Subby. I often had to gas up 2 times per day on my cross country trip.

My Favorite Suburban
By Val

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We had baby #3 and decided to move up from our Tahoe. This is my first Suburban and I love it! It is very comforable inside. We have buckets in the middle so the big kids can get in and out easily. The extra room was very needed. In the Tahoe to use the cargo room, all the kids had to sit in the middle seats, that made for lots of fighting. Now we can utilize the whole interior! The DVD system is still a big hit, although with three little kids, controls in the front might be nice.

Favorite Features

The room! The DVD, touch screen navigation, XM radio. Pretty much everthing.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage, but I still love the car.

Fuel System Vapor Locks
By Not a GM Fan

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle to tow our 8000lb camper. It tows the vehicle very well, however, it has died on us three times. Each time, we're headed up I-70 west of Denver in 95 degree heat towing the camper. The fuel system vapor locks. Chevrolet keeps replacing the fuel pump, but the fuel pump obviously isn't the problem -- the vehicle is completely drivable (until placed in the aforementioned conditions). If it happens one more time (and we fully expect it will), the state of Colorado will officially consider it a lemon and hopefully we'll get our money back.

Favorite Features

Power extending mirrors for towing.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. It's hazardous to be driving a vehicle this big while towing an 8000lb trailer and have it totally die with no power brakes and no power steering in heavy interstate traffic.