Used 2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Highly recommended, plus decent MPGs
By 99avalon

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

For 2 yrs we have owned an 05 Suburban 1500 LS 2wd and we love it. It is comfortable, capable, and spacious. I have hauled 9 large adults in it for work trips. We tow our family quads to the dunes or the cabin with it. We travel, and run errands, and basically do everything with it. Easy to get in and out of. Low maintenance. 139K miles. All original. Last week I drove from Utah to Arizona and back with my boys and a load of stuff, and at 70 mph with the cruise/AC on I averaged 23.5 mpgs with my manual calculations. My wife loves this truck for hauling kids and friends to school or the park. I love how smooth it rides down the freeway and the power it has. It's a perfect vehicle for us.

Favorite Features

5.3 V8 power and fuel efficiency. Driving from Springville Utah to Centerville Ut at 60mph on I-15 I average 27-28 mpg. That is true, hand calculations, only mirrored by the electronic display. 2wd makes a difference in fuel economy, and it still does great in the snow and off road. It tows lighter loads very well, haven't towed heavy with it yet. The seats are comfortable. It still feels trucky enough, unlike the newer Suburbans.

Suggested Improvements

Improved fit/finish. Small trim pieces break or come loose. The rear ac controls quit working, but front AC is good enough to cool the entire vehicle.

For a big family, there's no other ride!
By Ricky

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have a large family (7) already when we purchased this Suburban. Then, we became foster parents and we grew to 9! Ours has the optional bench seat in the front, which is a rarity we found out, but we all love it. For the large family, there's no other way to go. We can even go on weeks' vacation with most of the luggage in the back!

Favorite Features

Seating capacity for 9, large cargo area, decent MPGs for a huge car.

2005 Suburban LT 2WD
By Tim

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 8-05 and have been very pleased. Reliability has been top notch with not one issue at almost 50,000 miles. It's been on a 4,400 mile vacation round trip with a 20 MPG highway rating driving thru a stretch of interstate at 65 MPH. Most of the driving has been in the Baton Rouge metro area.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, reliability, performance, and exterior body integrity.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid available at all levels. A large segment of SUV drivers might be willing to pay more for a vehicle up front for better fuel economy. It'll never be a Prius, but 20mpg overall certainly beats 14.

BurbLVR
By BURBLVR

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We decided to purchase a used Suburban and after plenty of research and waiting we finally bought a fully loaded LT. We wish we would have bought it sooner! It has everything we need; Plenty of space for us, 2 dogs, and luggage. We have 2 little kids and the DVD is a must and a life-saver on any trip! We've had no issues with it and I've put about 7000 miles on it now. I switched to Synthetic Oil and a K&M air filter and I now get about 1.5 MPG better fuel mileage both in town and on highways.

Favorite Features

Room, DVD, ride, quietness, and quality.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

The best in its class
By Chris McGovern

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

An awesome vehicle so far. The features alone on this model of Suburban are enough to be excited about. Heated seats aside, OnStar protects and XM entertains, while this cargo and people spacious SUV takes us to wherever we want, in style and comfort. This is in another class as far as Large SUV's are concerned. I have driven many and I always come back to the standard bearer. No one combines this much, luxurious combination, of driving features not costing 60k. More power could be had, but that withstanding,the best in its class.

Favorite Features

XM, OnStar, heated, memory,and adjustable seats.Cargo room Leather appts.

Suggested Improvements

Put the 6.0 L in the LT's from here on.