2005 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Awesome family vehicle
By ehibma on 04/05/13 03:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a superb vehicle for my family. This has taken us across the country in comfort. The kids have loved the DVD player! Fitted with Michelin snow tires, this has handled like a dream even through the deep Michigan snow. I trust that my family is as safe as possible in the Suburban. We have had the LT model with the Air Ride Suspension which has been incredibly smooth. The gas mileage is respectable for a vehicle of this size, even doing better than my smaller Lincoln Aviator.

Gottaownone
By blkbuty on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My second suburban and basic maintenance has done the trick. Reliable 4wd only needed in the worst of winter here in the Midwest, but have had it in very tough off road conditions in Utah and Colorado. No worries through creeks and extremely rough trails. Not the ground clearance of a Tahoe because of the extra length. Great space, comfort, Bose sound. Power good enough for a vehicle this size. Wish I didn't have metal bumpers starting to rust. The body, however has none. Factory tires lasted to 65k miles versus 50k rating. Factory brakes fine to 73k miles. I expect to drive this 5 more years with no problem, then I'll get another.

Belated 6 Year Suburban Review
By Mike A. on 09/04/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well, I leased this vehicle back in Dec.04. This one had all the options. If I had to do it again NO WAY would I have leased. If you are going to BUY a vehicle and hold for a long time you should BUY as you will save $$. This vehicle has been nearly perfect. 3k miles between oil changes with NO oil loss! AC, Tranny, Drive Train all PEFECT. I have done all maintenance before the mileage required. I have NOT particularly babied this vehicle. I LOVE the auto 4WD and this should be mandatory for a truck this size. In wet conditions this baby STICKS to the road! Snow is FUN! OK at 58,500 what is broke - NOTHING! Even power fold mirrors WORK. OK - 2 buttons on the DVD/NAV are worn-can't read info!

Can't find anything I like better
By M and K on 05/03/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned too many vehicles in my time and have found this one to be the best fit for our family. With Dance competitions and Soccer meets having us on the road often, the room, comfort and reliability have proven invaluable. I am the person who trades every two years, until now. I have looked at new vehicles often, but been unable to find anything that fits us better or that I/we like better.

Great vehicle
By GCS on 03/25/10 11:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love it! Have the basic LS model which is pretty much loaded. Only extra cost options are the trailer tow package and block heater. Bought it new and specifically wanted the 3.42 rear end gears and happy we did - Get great MPG for this size vehicle. Up to 21 MPG on the highway. (That's actual calculated mileage - the trip computer is usually optimistic by a .5 MPG. I found with E-85 the mileage is about 20% less - so look for 20% less pricing on E-85 to make it worthwhile. It does well towing a camper and has lots of room for passengers and luggage. A great vacation/trip vehicle - smooth quiet ride with comfortable seats. Only repair was to fix a clunk in the steering. Very reliable.

Usable comfort
By dan on 07/15/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this 2005 Suburban LT used a year ago with 35000 miles and it now have over 60000. It joined a 07 Quest van as our people hauler and run-about vehicle. The Suburban has won everyone's heart and we use it constantly, much more than the Quest. Superbly comfortable, capable and USABLE! Does all the chores including trips from Nebraska to Arizona. We love it. Only improvement would be the 6 speed transmission and a touch more power, but otherwise it has proven to be the best vehicle we have ever purchased. Certainly will not be our last Suburban.

For a big family, there's no other ride!
By Ricky on 07/01/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have a large family (7) already when we purchased this Suburban. Then, we became foster parents and we grew to 9! Ours has the optional bench seat in the front, which is a rarity we found out, but we all love it. For the large family, there's no other way to go. We can even go on weeks' vacation with most of the luggage in the back!

European Travel
By Smokeysan on 06/20/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck overall has been an excellent vehicle. When I came home from Iraq during R&R I had to replace the brakes. Now I am at 96,000 miles I am having a few minor issues. The speedometer is working off and on and I have a few sensors that are lit. It is letting me know that I need to check the air bag and the tire sensor. Other than that the truck has been very reliable. I drive it daily in Germany and just returned from Holland on a vacation. I will by another Suburban. The only features I wish I had was a navigation with the back up camera.

everything has its ups and downs
By Bonez on 05/14/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Loved the car before the problems but still love it. The transmission went out at 65,000 miles but was under extended warranty so they replaced it for free. Then cd player and stereo went out @ 3o, 000 miles but got it replace too. The car is amazingly comfortable and my mom rarely lets anyone else drive it but its got no power in that v8. I got beat by the VW jetta 2.5l, it was kinda embarrassing. Im a truck guy but this suv just makes me love it. Recall should've been done on transmission. Also this z71 is 2wd so better gas mileage

2005 Suburban LT 2WD
By Tim on 04/10/09 15:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 8-05 and have been very pleased. Reliability has been top notch with not one issue at almost 50,000 miles. It's been on a 4,400 mile vacation round trip with a 20 MPG highway rating driving thru a stretch of interstate at 65 MPH. Most of the driving has been in the Baton Rouge metro area.