Used 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Highly recommended, plus decent MPGs
By 99avalon

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

For 2 yrs we have owned an 05 Suburban 1500 LS 2wd and we love it. It is comfortable, capable, and spacious. I have hauled 9 large adults in it for work trips. We tow our family quads to the dunes or the cabin with it. We travel, and run errands, and basically do everything with it. Easy to get in and out of. Low maintenance. 139K miles. All original. Last week I drove from Utah to Arizona and back with my boys and a load of stuff, and at 70 mph with the cruise/AC on I averaged 23.5 mpgs with my manual calculations. My wife loves this truck for hauling kids and friends to school or the park. I love how smooth it rides down the freeway and the power it has. It's a perfect vehicle for us.

5.3 V8 power and fuel efficiency. Driving from Springville Utah to Centerville Ut at 60mph on I-15 I average 27-28 mpg. That is true, hand calculations, only mirrored by the electronic display. 2wd makes a difference in fuel economy, and it still does great in the snow and off road. It tows lighter loads very well, haven't towed heavy with it yet. The seats are comfortable. It still feels trucky enough, unlike the newer Suburbans.

Improved fit/finish. Small trim pieces break or come loose. The rear ac controls quit working, but front AC is good enough to cool the entire vehicle.

Awesome family vehicle
By ehibma

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a superb vehicle for my family. This has taken us across the country in comfort. The kids have loved the DVD player! Fitted with Michelin snow tires, this has handled like a dream even through the deep Michigan snow. I trust that my family is as safe as possible in the Suburban. We have had the LT model with the Air Ride Suspension which has been incredibly smooth. The gas mileage is respectable for a vehicle of this size, even doing better than my smaller Lincoln Aviator.

Smooth ride Ample power Decent gas mileage for a vehicle this size Bose sound system DVD player Plush leather seats

I don't like the lap-belt only option in the middle position of the 3rd row

Gottaownone
By blkbuty

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My second suburban and basic maintenance has done the trick. Reliable 4wd only needed in the worst of winter here in the Midwest, but have had it in very tough off road conditions in Utah and Colorado. No worries through creeks and extremely rough trails. Not the ground clearance of a Tahoe because of the extra length. Great space, comfort, Bose sound. Power good enough for a vehicle this size. Wish I didn't have metal bumpers starting to rust. The body, however has none. Factory tires lasted to 65k miles versus 50k rating. Factory brakes fine to 73k miles. I expect to drive this 5 more years with no problem, then I'll get another.

Space, luxury, style. Great sound system and DVD. OnStar feature convenient. 5.3 liter engine modern version of old Chevy 327. Not a 327 but powerful enough.

Self leveling suspension missed from my first suburban. Not available on the Z-71.

Belated 6 Year Suburban Review
By Mike A.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well, I leased this vehicle back in Dec.04. This one had all the options. If I had to do it again NO WAY would I have leased. If you are going to BUY a vehicle and hold for a long time you should BUY as you will save $$. This vehicle has been nearly perfect. 3k miles between oil changes with NO oil loss! AC, Tranny, Drive Train all PEFECT. I have done all maintenance before the mileage required. I have NOT particularly babied this vehicle. I LOVE the auto 4WD and this should be mandatory for a truck this size. In wet conditions this baby STICKS to the road! Snow is FUN! OK at 58,500 what is broke - NOTHING! Even power fold mirrors WORK. OK - 2 buttons on the DVD/NAV are worn-can't read info!

Family and passenger safety, solid truck frame construction can handle everything you can load, V8 is smooth and quiet, 4WD, especially automatic 4wd makes a huge stability impact in bad weather and stops fish tailing.

Brakes need more authority. Compared to most vehicles you really have to push on the 2005, but they stop hard when you need it and brakes last forever. NAV needs to be more intuitive and changeable on the fly.

Can't find anything I like better
By M and K

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned too many vehicles in my time and have found this one to be the best fit for our family. With Dance competitions and Soccer meets having us on the road often, the room, comfort and reliability have proven invaluable. I am the person who trades every two years, until now. I have looked at new vehicles often, but been unable to find anything that fits us better or that I/we like better.

Quiet, comfortable interior. 2nd row buckets. Rear seat entertainment. Dependability. Ride quality.

Bland dash looks.