Used 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Bring back the Diesel!
By Dave Tulka

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought my 2004 Suburban in April '06 after 25 years and 300K+ miles of Honda Accords. The Suburban is almost a dream come true. The LT3 interior, automatic seating (with unreal adjustments), automatic mirrors, high ride in traffic and space make this an unbelieveable vehicle. I sat in the third seat and was comfortable. The short turning radius continues to amaze me. The five of us will be taking some family trips this summer with our camping gear and luggage securely in the back. This is a wonderful truck to drive. The comfort and quiet of the interior were really nice on the 800 mile trip we took right after we bought it.

Favorite Features

I have to go with the excellent design and implementation of the front seats. The adjustable lumbar and side support absolutely make the vehicle's ride legendary.

Suggested Improvements

I had been looking at 2500HD trucks for the diesel mileage and longevity. The Suburban brought more utility to us than a truck. Bring back the diesel Suburban! Thanks, Chevy for bringing me back to American cars.

2004 Z71
By T.S.

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle has performed great. My only issue is the lack of E85 fueling stations. I get 13 mpg around town and about 20 on the highway. Before I decided to get the Z71, we test drove the LS and LT. I have to say that the Z71 was a much better ride. They were all better than the Ford Expedition I had and alot more refined.

Favorite Features

XM and OnStar are the two main favorites.

Suggested Improvements

I would improve the vehicle by making the sunroof standard equipment.

Chevy Suburban
By vampares

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle regularly. It is comfortable and handles well. I get 18.5 hw/15city (actual not by epa). The Bose speakers great. Same basic design as old Suburban (center console, seat fold down or come out). The body is solid, chrome bumpers, minimal use of plastic. The maintenance/service is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Favorite Features

Sits upright and more natural than a car since its an SUV truck. With the tires at 60psi it can handle very well, much better than the old Suburban and at highway speeds is very steady. Gets good mileage for a 7200 lb. whale. Not as hard to park as you would think.

Suggested Improvements

I would like it if the driver seat would go back farther because I change clothes in it and sometimes bump my knee. The side step is a little soft at the edge and could be all metal, lose the plastic cover, it can be slippery.

Mechanical Integrity /Reliability POOR
By Dale

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Now I know why GM is about to go bankrupt. This is the second Z71 Suburban that I have owned since 2002 and have had nothing but problems with both. This will be last one that I will buy.

Favorite Features

Room and offroad capabilities

Suggested Improvements

GM needs concentrate on building a quality product instead of putting in all the gadgets.

Oil consumption problems, resolve early!
By rich

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Suburban which suffered from an oil consumption problem. The dealer tossed it off as standard operation/consumption. The motor failed completely at 38,000 miles. Luckily I had it fully documented and they were forced to replace the entire engine due to cylinder wall scoring. My recommendation is to hold your ground on any problem, as they will try to hold you off until the warranty has expired. It is one of the most disappointing experiences I have had. It astounded me as to how brazen they could be.

Favorite Features

I really like the truck, but GM has some major problems and the motor issue will always sway me from future purchases.

Suggested Improvements

Treat your customers with respect and they will be come back. Treat them like you treated me and you will forever make an ememy.