Used 2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Kid Hauling Machine
By 5 Girls

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

With 5 girls, this vehicle has everything we need. Room for them and all they things they insist on bringing on our many road trips. It has great power and handling no matter if you are doing 80 mph on the 4 lane or 60 mph down a back country road. The auto 4x4 and stabilitrak are great features for our snowy & icy ND winters. The only problems we have had is around 80,000 miles we had to replace the instrument cluster and some pressure sensor in the fuel tank. We had extended warranty. At 120,000 miles we believe our E85 sensor is out, but runs like new as long as we use regular gas.

Favorite Features

E85 capability, tire pressure sensor system, XM, sunroof, DVD, quad buckets, 2 memory seat settings, Stabilitrak!

Suggested Improvements

Ability to listen to XM when rear headphones are plugged in. 4 or 5 wireless headphones instead of 2. Optional 3rd row latch system.

Couldn't be happier
By Pat

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've towed a loaded trailer from Dallas to Vegas and back, family trips, light offroading, carpool duty, and city commuting and my Suburban has handled it all with aplomb. I bought my truck because it could handle full 4x8 sheets with the seats folded and all the other things too and it's never failed me yet. It's like the Swiss Army knife of vehicles. It may not be the best at any single thing, but it can do a lot of stuff and do it very, very well. And without all the fumbling around that you get with one of those uber-everything chunky Swiss Army knives, either. It's a super-capable vehicle. I couldn't be happier with my choice to buy this truck.

Favorite Features

High enough clearance to drive over parking lot concrete stoppers. Great towing package. Very good visibility. I've driven a lot of trucks and know what trucks ride like, but this one rides great, especially on the freeway at 75 or 80mph. Can't do that in most trucks and feel safe, but this one can.

Suggested Improvements

Better amp on the stock stereo. The jack & tools placement is a real pain if you have the cargo area loaded and have to change a flat. Not much to complain about, this is just a great truck.

Best Ride on the Road
By Mike

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My wife has an X5 and I have the Z71 Suburban. It drives so well I can not give it up. We have three kids and this vehicle is perfect for us. I have all the "bells and whistles" and it is perfect for road trips to the beach, etc. We have looked at all luxury SUV options. This is your best value. I recommend the Z71. We have the third row and bucket seats on the second row. If you get a bench seat on the second row it makes it very difficult to get the kids in and out.

Favorite Features

Roomy! It is like driving around your living room. DVD player helps keep everyone entertained. The kids can see out the windows very well.

Suggested Improvements

With size comes less than optimal mpg. Improvements would be nice bonus. We get 14/18.

Want to buy another one.
By pumaripobbs

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Buying it used saved a ton, which makes it that much better. I'm tempted to buy one for myself. Highly recommend it. Still my favorite vehicle on the road today.

Favorite Features

Looks. Comfort. Interior features. sSuprisingly decent gas mileage for size and power. Space. Utility.

Suggested Improvements

Sirius, instead of XM.

More Power with a smoother ride
By J. Kreiner

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2004 Suburban to replace my 1999 Tahoe. I really liked my Tahoe however sometimes felt the transmission was lacking performance especially when towing a travel trailer. I expected a slight improvement in performance and comfort but was not prepared for the huge improvement that I felt. The Suburban handles almost as well as my '06 Lucerne around curves and I can really feel the extra kick in the engine and transmission whether I'm towing or not. I highly recommend a test drive If you like the late 90's and early 00's Chevy large SUV's you owe it to yourself to see the improvements. It really drives like a car

Favorite Features

3rd row seat, Bose system, DVD rear entertainment system. Front and rear bucket seats are very comfortable. Towing gear. Automatic fold in outside rearview mirrows

Suggested Improvements

As always gas but worth the sacrafice. Running boards need to be wider, they barely allow enough room to step onto without slipping. Include a transmission heat gauge.