2004 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Buy American and buy the best!
By Keith Rigsby on 01/02/07 18:41 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So much room, power, capability, wrapped up in such a handsome design with rock solid reliability. That's the Suburban. There is nothing better. Filled with luggage to the ceiling, 4 adults, driving 80-85 mph going to Colorado for snow skiing last month. Averaged 17.9 mpg! 2 wheel drive and it handled the snow covered mountain passes and switchbacks with ease. Drives like a much smaller vehicle. You can keep the Toyotas and Hondas. Give me American ingenuity at it's best with the Suburban. The Suburban has been a hit for General Motors since 1935! It's only gotten better over the years and the '04 is one of the best. love it! Long live General Motors and Cheverolet!

By CharlieT on 12/30/06 11:29 AM (PST)

I tow a 6000 lb Airstream and am very happy with the peformance. I have the 6.0 with a 3.73 rearend. I don't plan on getting a bigger trailer so I wanted to maximize mpg at the expense of a little more grunt. After almost three years and 25K miles I think I made the right choice. I get about the same as mileage towing (12 mpg)as I did pulling my 5000 lb Airstream with an Astro van but with much better stability, acceleration, and stopping power.

Great Ride!
By airdefense on 08/06/06 20:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just bought my first Suburban. Love the Z-71 features. The room is great after coming from a Camaro Z-28 Conv't.

By Norma J. Francis on 07/06/06 21:11 PM (PDT)

I love my Suburban because of its size & height. It was a gift from my husband after driving a luxury car for many years. He had a 2002 Suburban that we used commercially. We never had a single problem with it & it served us well. With 44,000+ miles & 2 years of constant traveling, I knew I wanted a bigger car. Namely a Suburban. He got me a 2004 as a family car and there is nothing like it. My only complaint is, it loves gasoline making short trips around town, but the highway driving is great. I never want a smaller car again. A good feeling of security.

Love this ride.
By Coleary on 06/07/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Owned two Expeditions and a minivan before Suburban. Gets better gas than them, 21/16. Rides smoothly, tight turns, handles beautifully, has plenty of power, loaded w/bells and whistles my Expeditions never offered.

Bring back the Diesel!
By Dave Tulka on 05/22/06 18:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought my 2004 Suburban in April '06 after 25 years and 300K+ miles of Honda Accords. The Suburban is almost a dream come true. The LT3 interior, automatic seating (with unreal adjustments), automatic mirrors, high ride in traffic and space make this an unbelieveable vehicle. I sat in the third seat and was comfortable. The short turning radius continues to amaze me. The five of us will be taking some family trips this summer with our camping gear and luggage securely in the back. This is a wonderful truck to drive. The comfort and quiet of the interior were really nice on the 800 mile trip we took right after we bought it.

2004 Z71
By T.S. on 04/10/06 07:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle has performed great. My only issue is the lack of E85 fueling stations. I get 13 mpg around town and about 20 on the highway. Before I decided to get the Z71, we test drove the LS and LT. I have to say that the Z71 was a much better ride. They were all better than the Ford Expedition I had and alot more refined.

Chevy Suburban
By vampares on 03/28/06 13:47 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive this vehicle regularly. It is comfortable and handles well. I get 18.5 hw/15city (actual not by epa). The Bose speakers great. Same basic design as old Suburban (center console, seat fold down or come out). The body is solid, chrome bumpers, minimal use of plastic. The maintenance/service is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Mechanical Integrity /Reliability POOR
By Dale on 01/13/06 09:42 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Now I know why GM is about to go bankrupt. This is the second Z71 Suburban that I have owned since 2002 and have had nothing but problems with both. This will be last one that I will buy.

By rich on 01/07/06 21:32 PM (PST)

I have a 2004 Suburban which suffered from an oil consumption problem. The dealer tossed it off as standard operation/consumption. The motor failed completely at 38,000 miles. Luckily I had it fully documented and they were forced to replace the entire engine due to cylinder wall scoring. My recommendation is to hold your ground on any problem, as they will try to hold you off until the warranty has expired. It is one of the most disappointing experiences I have had. It astounded me as to how brazen they could be.