2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2004 Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Sort Reviews by

DEPENDABLE
By C C Crouch

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

THIS IS MY 12TH SUBURBAN I HAVE PURCHASED. I FIRST STARTED DRIVING SUBURBAN'S WHEN WE STARTED A FAMILY AND HAD SMALL CHILDREN. BUT AS OUR CHILDREN GREW UP AND HAD FAMILIES OF THEIR OWN I CONTINUED TO DRIVE A SUBURBAN. FOR OUR LIFESTYLE THEY ARE PERFECT AND ALWAYS VERY DEPENDABLE. AT ONE POINT BOTH MY HUSBAND AND I WERE BOTH DRIVING SUBURBANS. NOW OUR GROWN CHILDREN ARE DRIVING SUBURBAN'S FOR THEIR FAMILIES.

Favorite Features

OUR FAVORITE FEATURE IS THE SIZE AND WONDERFUL RIDE, AS WELL AS THE DEPENDABILITY.

Suggested Improvements

WOULD BE SO NICE TO HAVE MORE LUXURY ON THE INTERIOR. LESS PLASTIC USED AND MORE DURABLE PARTS ON THE INTERIOR.

suburban review
By tom t

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have 12000 miles on it now in 3 months and it has been perfect. Only problem I have had was the keyless entry had to be reprogrammed. It handles pretty well for a large SUV. Plenty of power for towing as we do have things to tow. If you need a lot of room for hauling or kids this is the vehicle. My job requires me to have a full load of cargo in this truck and I love all the room. I was headed for a tahoe and my wife talked me into the suburban and I now thank her for it.

Favorite Features

My favorite features I guess are the funtion of the seats and lumbar support as the amount of driving that I do it really helps my back.

Suggested Improvements

Design flaw would be the center console should open from front instead of side. To hard to manuver and grab the things you need. Passenger can't have access to it as well with this design. Doesn't stay open when trying to access the console.Exterior design is dated need to update.

MY Suburban
By tireguy

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Surburban needed better handling. It already had 17" wheels and tires so I went to the "h" rated Michelin Pilot LTX and it made a world of difference. They keep the ride quiet but provide extra support when cornering

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats and Bose stereo

Suggested Improvements

Needs a deeper center console - my coffee cup will not fit where it did in my Silverado

Surburbans are great, but....
By Rose Aleta

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have had Suburbans for years and love them... However, the last two GMC vehicles have not had a locking golve box or center console. Makes it difficult when you must valet park... I contacted Gmc/Chevy regarding this change and they would not comment on why they made the change in options. But it is reason enough for us to change vehicles not time we purchase.

Favorite Features

SIZE

Suggested Improvements

Locking glovebox or center concole is a must!

best suburban yet
By jiminca

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Thus is our 4th suburban. Everything I ever wanted in the way of improving the previous models has been implemented in this model. The driver convienence features exceed anything anyone would have dreampt in a "Chevy". The gas mileage is up and the 5.3 engine is smooth as silk with an increase in horsepower, not to mention it has the same EPA rating as a Honda Civic (ULEV). I also would highly recommend the autoride suspension as it handles great with no bounce or jounce over bumps and sharp curves. The standard XM Radio is worthy of note as well as the standard On-Star system on my "LT" model

Favorite Features

Memory features: heated seats, great Bose stereo system with integreated 6 disc CD changer and XM radio. Superb performance, brakes and handling with the optional "autoride" suspension. An absolute joy to drive and ride with safety and luxury

Suggested Improvements

a back up proximety system to sense or see hazards or other obstacles would be appreciated

small tiffs over an expensive vehicle
By lageist

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

small annoyances are the brake pedal and gas pedal seem to be far apart and have to move my entire foot from one to the other all the time. ajustable steeing wheel blocks my view of the speedometer when it is down all the way. dimmer switch can't be found at night because it is the only thing not lighted! finally, can't tell if the seat belt is latched when we clip in the kids car seat because it doesn't click when latched.

Favorite Features

I love the power of this beast and the nimble turning radius. it is also pretty quiet on the inside and it tows our small trailer effortlessly.

Suggested Improvements

conduct some reseach on the egonomics of this car/truck and bring it up to date the rest of the car industry. I think they could afford it considering how much this beast costs.

Better than expected!
By tomfw3

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle, smooth ride & very comfortable. Even gas mileage is better than expected @ over 15 mpg average(city). Great highway cruiser, quiet and terric tunes. Seats are very comfortable, I'm 11 inches taller than my wife & both have no problem getting comfy. Pretty good off the line, plenty of torque. Oh, dealer experience was better than Mercedes, much better (we have a 320e).

Favorite Features

Seats, great ammenities i.e. XM radio, Bose sound, smooooth ride, looks, almost everything

Suggested Improvements

Too much plastic on dash. Fly-by-wire accelerator floats on springs, my foot bounces the pedal over bumps, needs some friction- this is (very) annoying.

Oh What Fun!!!!
By S. Beck

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We chose the 2WD with locking differential and the resulting fuel economy is remarkable. I average nearly 18mg, just wish I would have opted for leather interior.

Favorite Features

Rear liftgate, AM/FM CD Delphi Stereo

Suggested Improvements

Access to third row seating is clumsy.

EXCEPTIONALLY NICE TRUCK
By STEVO

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I'VE DRIVEN THIS SUBURBAN FOR 27,000 MILES AND NOT A SQUEAK OR A PROBLEM. VERY SMOOTH, VERY POWERFUL, VERY COMFORTABLE. I CARRY FIVE TO EIGHT PEOPLE AND ALL ARE HAPPY -- MUCH QUIETER INSIDE THAN HONDA MINIVAN I'VE DRIVEN. VERY EASY TO DRIVE, CONSIDERING LARGE SIZE, BUT SIGHTLINES ARE GOOD. MILAGE? I GET 17 TO 18 ON THE HIGHWAY AND NEVER LESS THAN 15.5 IN CITY. PULLING TRAILER AT 80 MPH IN MOUNTAINS I WAS GETTING 17 MPG. NO KIDDING. I THINK THAT'S PRETTY GOOD, CONSIDERING THE THING IS HUGE. MY OLD VW VAN ONLY GOT ABOUT 15 MPG, AND THAT HAD A 60 HP MOTOR AND COULDN'T GO

Favorite Features

SAFE, COMFORTABLE, HAULS HUGE AMOUNT OF STUFF: BICYCLES, CAMPING GEAR, ETC.

Suggested Improvements

NOTHING REALLY.

Disappointment
By Wild man

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I found Suburban & Expedition drove and rode very similarly. I had considered buying a Suburban when purchasing the Expedition about 10 months back. After renting, I'm glad I saved about $8,000. My two biggest disappointments were poor and shoddy use of plastics, doors weren't aligned well, and rarely closed tightly. Been waitng to see when Chevy would make for a simply fix for folding down rear seat in the Suburban. Still waiting. The Expedition has a 60/40 fold down rear seat, which is utilitarian. The fold over, unbolt, remove and sit in the garage approach isn't what I want in a $40,000 vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the third seat to a fold down, upgrade plastics, modernize the Suburban plant to improve body quality.