Used 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS SUV Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Comfortable, but poorly made
By Airborne!

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have a love hate relationship with this vehicle. I love how it drives, feels and looks, but hate its overall quality and dependability. Since 2004 this vehicle has slowly fallen apart due to cheap materials and design. I have another non GM vehicle I have had since 2000 which has fared so much better and looks so much newer. Starting with the big ticket items this vehicle has had 2 new engines and 2 new transmissions, neither under warranty of course. The engine due to main bearing failures and the transmissions due to the fact that one seems to lead to the other.With at least this model of Suburban it seemed like they started designing and building a good vehicle and then gave up at some point and put whatever cheap stuff they could to cut costs. Things that they know you would be touching or handling 50 times a day like the stereo knobs have become broken and badly worn. The electronic controls for the climate system have gone wacky and replaced a couple of times. The overhead DVD system has fallen out of its mount twice due to poor design of the bracket and screws. And not a big deal, but what is with Chevy and offset steering columns on these vehicles? Another very annoying issue is the seat belts. This was the model year that they added the bell to remind you if someone in the front does not have on their seat belt. The thing will jump all over you quickly and incessantly. I have no issue with this except the seat belt themselves can tell you they are latched via the warning sound stopping and then you hit a bump or move around and the belt suddenly becomes unlatched while driving down the road. Not well designed or very safe.
The great part is it drives like a dream. It drives much smaller than its size with decent handling and acceleration. Breaking can be a bit weak, but acceptable. It also looks great. At least to me it is one of the better looking Suburban designs. The interior, although very cheaply made overall, has huge space for people with tons of storage room. On a long trip this thing is a dream. Well except for the gas mileage, but for this size of vehicle it is acceptable to me.
Overall I would never recommend anyone buy one of these used or even new for that matter unless you plan on buying a new one every 2 to 3 years before they start to come apart. GM seems to design for "initial quality" these days. That is why you hear all the best initial quality awards on TV and in magazines. They design them to last just long enough for you to lease or buy a new one in 3 or so years. If not for the fact I can find other similar vehicles that last much longer then that would be ok.

Great Vehicle
By Car Owner

2004 Chevolet Suburban
By ddzncle

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Suburban to transport mygrand children. It has become the car pool vehicle for my friends going to events around town. We can get 8 people in it plus luggage. The third seat comfort is not the best but good for short trips.

Love the ride and the space. It has the same features as the more expensive Escalade.

I had to replace the complete dash board console at 40,000 miles (covered under extended warranty). At 50 thousand miles had to replace a noisy steering shaft that was not covered under warrenty.

Buy American and buy the best!
By Keith Rigsby

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So much room, power, capability, wrapped up in such a handsome design with rock solid reliability. That's the Suburban. There is nothing better. Filled with luggage to the ceiling, 4 adults, driving 80-85 mph going to Colorado for snow skiing last month. Averaged 17.9 mpg! 2 wheel drive and it handled the snow covered mountain passes and switchbacks with ease. Drives like a much smaller vehicle. You can keep the Toyotas and Hondas. Give me American ingenuity at it's best with the Suburban. The Suburban has been a hit for General Motors since 1935! It's only gotten better over the years and the '04 is one of the best. love it! Long live General Motors and Cheverolet!

OnStar, 2nd row bucket seats, powerful and efficient 5.3 liter V8, all the room, DVD player, heated seats, sunroof, memory presets for seats/mirrors, durable and comfortable leather seats, dual zone and automatic climate control, stabilitrack.

Rain sensing wipers, auto up windows and sunroof, wind deflector for sunroof to cut down on wind noise when sunroof is open, floor mats for 3rd row passengers and walk way between 2nd row bucket seats.

Nothing but a Suburban for me
By Norma J. Francis

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Suburban because of its size & height. It was a gift from my husband after driving a luxury car for many years. He had a 2002 Suburban that we used commercially. We never had a single problem with it & it served us well. With 44,000+ miles & 2 years of constant traveling, I knew I wanted a bigger car. Namely a Suburban. He got me a 2004 as a family car and there is nothing like it. My only complaint is, it loves gasoline making short trips around town, but the highway driving is great. I never want a smaller car again. A good feeling of security.

Size, height, roomy, and it is a vehicle I feel completely comfortable in. The comfort of being up high is a big plus & never the fear of a rollover. Totally satisfied & enjoy it.

Improve the gas consumption or make it to run on Methonol. Everyone faces this wish for improvement.