Used 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Used to be a Chevy/GM fan, will never purchase another!
By orionman

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchase our Z71 Suburban used from the original owner with 125k miles. 3 weeks after purchase we started having major problems. Its now been 1.5 years and I'm into it over $3k out of pocket in repairs alone! The 4wd and complete A/C system went out and cost a fortune to repair, It eats brakes, replaced the battery twice, exhaust leak that kills the power, the list goes on and on.The front speakers for the stereo only work, the interior is cheap plastic that rattles like crazy. GM build quality in these is non-existent. If I can help anyone in their pursuit for a full size family SUV, please please please run away from the 2001-2006 Chevy/GM Suv's! Their all garbage from the get go!

Favorite Features

Its comfortable, has an overhead DVD for the kids

Suggested Improvements

Where do I begin!?!

poor fuel milage/ok vehical
By fordmaster73

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought our '04 suburban with the Z71 package. at first we loved this vehicle (and still really like it). but we feel the fuel mileage is horrible! It left us stranded 30 miles in the wilderness after a camping trip with no phone services when the ground wire to the ECM (computer) broke. It cost us $400 at a dealer to fix a wire and re-flash the computer. the battery and alternator also needed replaced but I was OK with that considering its age and mileage. just figured it was normal maintenance. the brakes have always felt week even after replacing them and flushing the old fluid out. the power of the 5.3L I feel is undersized for this size of vehicle.

Favorite Features

Love being able to take the whole family on towing trips in comfort. has enough room to fit our large family and still fit plenty of cargo. The Z71 package is nice with great sound, and DVD system for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

increase fuel mileage. improve handling in corners. needs more power. Third seat is way to heavy, improve the third seat stow-away design. Either a fold into the floor setup or decrease its weight.

What a great truck!
By Greg Vojnovic

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has just been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned! Super reliable, still looks good, never a problem. It drives great, almost like a car and yet it can haul big trailers with horses in it. Just a great, great truck. I LOVE our Suburban. We're buying a new one now and will miss it.

Favorite Features

Reliable and safe. Never have to worry about bad weather

Suggested Improvements

Radio knobs always seemed to have the finish chip off and the CD player broke

Farm and Family Friendly
By Farm Tough

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased used with 19000 miles. Live on horse ranch and need a reliable 4x4 vehicle to haul family of 5 and 3 dogs. Suburban has been great until 2010 and now it is in the shop more than on the road with expensive repairs, will purchase a newer Suburban in the near future, great overall vehicle for our needs, just need to trade every 5 years instead of 8. MPG for us is 18 hwy and 14 city.

Favorite Features

Cargo, DVD for kids, towing

Suggested Improvements

Better leather quality, less plastic, a stronger transmission.

Not so great!
By jessa508

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Suburban runs great it is the little thing that cost a great deal that annoy me and Chevy hasn't done anything about it. The power windows going out the heated seats stop working the paint on the dash peeling the cheap plastic in the back. And the biggest problem of all is the Back glass disengaging from the vehicle if this glass falls on a small child it could be very dangerous there have been several complaints about this particular problem including myself, but Chevy has done nothing to correct the problem. Oh yeah you can't just replace the glass the whole unit has to be replaced so you are looking at about $1,200 part and installed. To bad for me and several others.....

Suggested Improvements

Def. the back glass! The heated seats and power window in the front, paint peeling from the dash (hope it is nontoxic as most people who drive SUVs have small children)