2004 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
poor fuel milage/ok vehical
By fordmaster73 on 04/27/13 11:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought our '04 suburban with the Z71 package. at first we loved this vehicle (and still really like it). but we feel the fuel mileage is horrible! It left us stranded 30 miles in the wilderness after a camping trip with no phone services when the ground wire to the ECM (computer) broke. It cost us $400 at a dealer to fix a wire and re-flash the computer. the battery and alternator also needed replaced but I was OK with that considering its age and mileage. just figured it was normal maintenance. the brakes have always felt week even after replacing them and flushing the old fluid out. the power of the 5.3L I feel is undersized for this size of vehicle.

What a great truck!
By Greg Vojnovic on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has just been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned! Super reliable, still looks good, never a problem. It drives great, almost like a car and yet it can haul big trailers with horses in it. Just a great, great truck. I LOVE our Suburban. We're buying a new one now and will miss it.

Farm and Family Friendly
By Farm Tough on 07/16/10 14:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased used with 19000 miles. Live on horse ranch and need a reliable 4x4 vehicle to haul family of 5 and 3 dogs. Suburban has been great until 2010 and now it is in the shop more than on the road with expensive repairs, will purchase a newer Suburban in the near future, great overall vehicle for our needs, just need to trade every 5 years instead of 8. MPG for us is 18 hwy and 14 city.

Not so great!
By jessa508 on 05/01/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Suburban runs great it is the little thing that cost a great deal that annoy me and Chevy hasn't done anything about it. The power windows going out the heated seats stop working the paint on the dash peeling the cheap plastic in the back. And the biggest problem of all is the Back glass disengaging from the vehicle if this glass falls on a small child it could be very dangerous there have been several complaints about this particular problem including myself, but Chevy has done nothing to correct the problem. Oh yeah you can't just replace the glass the whole unit has to be replaced so you are looking at about $1,200 part and installed. To bad for me and several others.....

the do everything truck
By big truck on 04/23/10 05:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best truck we have ever owned it hauls like a big truck and rides like large car. The engine is powerful and very smooth. This is the longest production run of a SUV and it shows. Chevy suburban has it all .

Great Car
By brsmith1202 on 01/17/10 06:18 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As a owner of a 2004 suburban, I have only one simple problem, the battery went out the day after I got it. I have had no real problems with, the vehicle runs great, take care of it, and will take care of you.

Feels like it's falling apart
By 04chevy on 12/14/09 15:56 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have put over 63,000 miles on my Suburban since buying it off lease. Unfortunately, it has been a constant source of problems. Starting around 60- 70,000 miles, things just started falling apart. I replaced multiple suspension parts, a window regulator, a fuel pump, water pump, and some other miscellaneous items, and I am now faced with a transmission job costing over $2500. All this with only 93,000 miles. The interior is about as bad as they come, with badly fitting plastics and cheap everything. The gas mileage is horrible. The power is nice, and the towing capacity is also a plus, and mine seats nine. These cannot, unfortunately, outweigh the cost of poor reliability.

over 100,000 miles on the original tires
By John on 11/26/09 09:09 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We had a 97 Tahoe we traded in on the suburban because we needed more room I have driven chevys for over 30 years this is the best one yet it pulls well it rides great and is the most comfortable one yet this is one great suv

The Best in it's Class Fuel Economy
By armsdealer on 11/16/09 05:54 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off, Why are all of you marking this vehicle down for Fuel Economy? For what this thing tows and hauls, including people, you would need 2 Toyota camarys to haul 8 people. Some interior parts are cheap and come loose from time to time, but the space is better than any of the full size imports. This Vehicle is bullet proof Mechanically, and except for the steering shaft problem ($74 at Autozone) This is the toughest, most economical, Extra-Large SUV on the market, and gets the best fuel economy of all of them (non-Hybrid) We moved from a mini van to this and our fuel expenses only increased about $400 a year, that's only $33 per month. Go Drive one, you will be impressed.

A good 1
By Sub Man on 10/07/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our Suburban has served us well, with little complaints.The gas mileage is great for an SUV of its size.Handles winter weather like a dream and is smooth as a BMW. Backing up is challenging and takes some getting used to.