2003 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Review: Surprisingly Good Truck

2003 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Review

1500 LS 4dr SUV (5.3L V8 FFV 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Surprisingly Good Truck
By Mark Cee on

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After years of driving Toyota pickups and RAV-4, I was hesitant to buy a Chevy but I did because I needed the extra size. I've got to admit - I am very surprised at the quality and reliability of this truck. I bought the truck when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. I now have over 90,000 miles on the truck and the only problems I've had so far was the Instrument Panel ($400) and the A/C belt tensioner ($250). It has the same "tight" quality feel that I grew accustomed to as a Toyota owner. It's clear that, at least on this model, GM has finally learned it's lesson and built a high-quality automobile. That was certainly not the case 15 years ago!

Favorite Features

Excellent highway vehicle - plenty of passing power. If I drive 65 MPH or less I get between 19 and 20 MPG on the highway. I get 15 MPH in town, which is fine for a vehicle this size.

Suggested Improvements

The rear seat has surprisingly little leg room, and a lamp under the hood would be nice. The front bulbs (turn signals, driving lights) don't seem to last more than 6 or 9 months - cheap to replace but kind of irritating.