Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Never again
By Terry

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Sorry. My family dream car has been a nightmare. We have drove this vehicle to the dealership so many times to be repaired that they are even sorry they sold it to us. We have drove this car for over half of its miles with the amber engine light on. (bought it new ) wire harness, gas tank, struts, radio, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, trailer tow short in steering wheel, steering collum, front wheel seals, ghost signals to amber light, wheel bearings, and now the transmission just went out at 115k, we kept thinking nothing else could go wrong, now we know we were wrong. GM says they are sorry for our troubles, and they have assigned me a case number that no doubt will be lost in cyberspace.

The ride of this vehicle is very nice and the xm radio is an excellent feature. The 327 engine has amazing power, and quick response. Lots of bells and whistles.

Interior durability is very poor, plastic looses its color easily, no need for adjustable pedals. Let a family of 8 use it for a year before putting it on the market for unsuspecting buyers to take their own risks

Perfect SUV
By Perfect SUV

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2003 Suburban LT, and this has got to be the perfect SUV! We traded a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan for this truck, and we are so pleased with this Suv. It has 70,000 miles on it, and runs like brand new. The turning radius is excellent, the 5.3 vortec V8 is extremely strong, and rides very nice. Ours has 4 bucket seats and a 3rd row bench seat, and it can seat 7 adults very comfortably. It also has a very large cargo area in the rear to hold all of the kids stuff. I also have a 99 Chevy Z71 Truck with 170,000 miles on it, so I know how dependable and reliable Chevy trucks are. I am so glad to have my wife and 3 kiddos in a big, strong, dependable truck. We all love it.!

Leather, DVD player, so much interior space, Extremely Comfortable, strong 5.3 Vortec V8, Tow/Haul mode, Gets really good gas mileage considering the bulk of this SUV. We do around 99% city driving and average 15.5 to 16.9 MPG. That's real good when you think about this big SUV.

I just wish that Chevy and GMC would advertise more often. It seems like everytime you turn on the TV all you see is Ford or Toyota commercials. I've driven Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, and Jeeps, and I rank Chevy/GMC at the very top. They are simply the best in reliability, and gas mileage.

Amazing car?
By Gaucho blue

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 740 BMW for this cruiser. No it is not a race car but for everyday and for vacation you cannot beat the comfort. It rides like a Cadillac deville.Lots of room. Mileage is poor. I average about 15-16 miles per gallon. One trip the best I got for 4 hours driving was 19.6 miles per gallon. You cannot fill the tail end of this car!

Size, comfort, reliability, solid vehicle drives like a car

Better gas mileage

5.3 seem bulletproof
By consolidatedwm

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the our '03 z71 burb after an accident sidelined our same style Tahoe. We had 160K on the clock with the Tahoe and I'm convinced it would have gone well past 200K with no major repairs. Very dependable and it never left us stuck. I'm sticking with the 5.3 engine and glad I did with the 'burb. Ride quality is incredible and we are amazed at the steering radius in the 'burb vs our older Tahoe. Creature features all are good quality and overall we give kudos to GM for quality, looks, and performance. We did change out all fluids to synthetics as we had good luck last time - why tempt fate. We will be in the market for a brand new one it two years, very happy with what we have to get us there.

Her: Heated seats. Him: Automatic seat adjust per driver, lumbar and overall added capacity over the Tahoe.

Mileage, but what can you do? If you want a bus you're gonna pay. We still get about 17mpg avg

Poor Reliability
By Bryce Christensen

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Z71 Ride quality is very good and the vehicle is fun to drive. However the vehicle has had numerous reliability problems at 50,000 miles. The instrument cluster has gone bad, front end is loosening up, shocks gave out, replaced side mirrors, lights, etc. Recommend selling once the warranty expires or purchasing an extended warranty. Or purchase a better engineered SUV and avoid the extended warranty and service hassles all together. Actual gas mileage is around 13 MPG on average.

Fix the poorly engineered dash electrical cluster and side mirror features. Front end suspension is highly questionable