Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Try it you wiill like it
By WOW

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle in 2006, at that time it had 74000 miles and I have had it for about one and a half years. I have had to replace the throttle body, but overall, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is spacious,the dvd keep the passengers occupied, second row captain chairs are very comfortable and the third roow seating, really can seat adults. If you haven't noticed I have the LT model and I did not think American vehicle had it in them, but I tell you if you are looking for space, this is it. try it you will like it,convince my cousin to buy one and he's lovin' it.

Favorite Features

DVD, rear entertainment, heated seat for my wife, and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

The new ones cover it all, back-up monitor and or sensor.

Chevy Diehard
By BenGrainger

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven Chevy's all my life. But this one may send me away. Nothing but dash problem everything has to be serviced because of lights coming on even after I have it serviced. Airbag went out right after warranty. Goes into 4 wheel low by itself. Replaced Horn, entire AC. DVD player in roof causing whole roof to droop. I love my truck but it is driving me crazy with expenses and dash lights always on. I always have things flushed and take care of my vehicles. $1000 dollars for air bag replacement now is out of my budget. Can not afford to take in to figure out why it goes into 4 wheel on its own. New horn now has problems again. This is at least my 7th Chevy could be last.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive buttons, walk in between back seats. Stereo sounds good. heated seats on cold days.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, instrument cluster. Far back seat lay flat or go into compartment like vans.

Surprisingly Good Truck
By Mark Cee

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After years of driving Toyota pickups and RAV-4, I was hesitant to buy a Chevy but I did because I needed the extra size. I've got to admit - I am very surprised at the quality and reliability of this truck. I bought the truck when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. I now have over 90,000 miles on the truck and the only problems I've had so far was the Instrument Panel ($400) and the A/C belt tensioner ($250). It has the same "tight" quality feel that I grew accustomed to as a Toyota owner. It's clear that, at least on this model, GM has finally learned it's lesson and built a high-quality automobile. That was certainly not the case 15 years ago!

Favorite Features

Excellent highway vehicle - plenty of passing power. If I drive 65 MPH or less I get between 19 and 20 MPG on the highway. I get 15 MPH in town, which is fine for a vehicle this size.

Suggested Improvements

The rear seat has surprisingly little leg room, and a lamp under the hood would be nice. The front bulbs (turn signals, driving lights) don't seem to last more than 6 or 9 months - cheap to replace but kind of irritating.

Never again
By Terry

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Sorry. My family dream car has been a nightmare. We have drove this vehicle to the dealership so many times to be repaired that they are even sorry they sold it to us. We have drove this car for over half of its miles with the amber engine light on. (bought it new ) wire harness, gas tank, struts, radio, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, trailer tow short in steering wheel, steering collum, front wheel seals, ghost signals to amber light, wheel bearings, and now the transmission just went out at 115k, we kept thinking nothing else could go wrong, now we know we were wrong. GM says they are sorry for our troubles, and they have assigned me a case number that no doubt will be lost in cyberspace.

Favorite Features

The ride of this vehicle is very nice and the xm radio is an excellent feature. The 327 engine has amazing power, and quick response. Lots of bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

Interior durability is very poor, plastic looses its color easily, no need for adjustable pedals. Let a family of 8 use it for a year before putting it on the market for unsuspecting buyers to take their own risks

Perfect SUV
By Perfect SUV

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2003 Suburban LT, and this has got to be the perfect SUV! We traded a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan for this truck, and we are so pleased with this Suv. It has 70,000 miles on it, and runs like brand new. The turning radius is excellent, the 5.3 vortec V8 is extremely strong, and rides very nice. Ours has 4 bucket seats and a 3rd row bench seat, and it can seat 7 adults very comfortably. It also has a very large cargo area in the rear to hold all of the kids stuff. I also have a 99 Chevy Z71 Truck with 170,000 miles on it, so I know how dependable and reliable Chevy trucks are. I am so glad to have my wife and 3 kiddos in a big, strong, dependable truck. We all love it.!

Favorite Features

Leather, DVD player, so much interior space, Extremely Comfortable, strong 5.3 Vortec V8, Tow/Haul mode, Gets really good gas mileage considering the bulk of this SUV. We do around 99% city driving and average 15.5 to 16.9 MPG. That's real good when you think about this big SUV.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish that Chevy and GMC would advertise more often. It seems like everytime you turn on the TV all you see is Ford or Toyota commercials. I've driven Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, and Jeeps, and I rank Chevy/GMC at the very top. They are simply the best in reliability, and gas mileage.