Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Chevy = Hype
By Cameron

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have always driven Fords with very little trouble. Everyone suggested I "upgrade" to Chevrolet. After owning one I can say it will be my last. I replaced the fuel pump at 70K. At 80K the speedometer cluster quit working (very common on this vehicle). Also at 80K the transfer case went out. Should I mention the electrical problems? Power doors work intermittently, windows sometimes don't roll down. When it runs, I like it. But, it spends just as much time in the shop and for a 43K vehicle, it's not worth the trouble. I'm going to get rid of it and get a reliable SUV. I'm convinced that Chevy is simply hype. I haven't exactly been blown off of my feet.

Quit using junk parts.

Some things questionable
By Vaughn

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the same problems as a lot of Z71 owners had, the instrument cluster is going dead, and the front suspension/shocks are brutal. I have always been a Chevy guy, especially going for the Suburban for size and comfort, but GM should know better than to compromise on this simple engineering.

Size, comfort, fun to drive, power.

Electronics, suspension.

Try it you wiill like it
By WOW

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle in 2006, at that time it had 74000 miles and I have had it for about one and a half years. I have had to replace the throttle body, but overall, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is spacious,the dvd keep the passengers occupied, second row captain chairs are very comfortable and the third roow seating, really can seat adults. If you haven't noticed I have the LT model and I did not think American vehicle had it in them, but I tell you if you are looking for space, this is it. try it you will like it,convince my cousin to buy one and he's lovin' it.

DVD, rear entertainment, heated seat for my wife, and the stereo.

The new ones cover it all, back-up monitor and or sensor.

Chevy Diehard
By BenGrainger

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven Chevy's all my life. But this one may send me away. Nothing but dash problem everything has to be serviced because of lights coming on even after I have it serviced. Airbag went out right after warranty. Goes into 4 wheel low by itself. Replaced Horn, entire AC. DVD player in roof causing whole roof to droop. I love my truck but it is driving me crazy with expenses and dash lights always on. I always have things flushed and take care of my vehicles. $1000 dollars for air bag replacement now is out of my budget. Can not afford to take in to figure out why it goes into 4 wheel on its own. New horn now has problems again. This is at least my 7th Chevy could be last.

4 wheel drive buttons, walk in between back seats. Stereo sounds good. heated seats on cold days.

Gas mileage, instrument cluster. Far back seat lay flat or go into compartment like vans.

Surprisingly Good Truck
By Mark Cee

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After years of driving Toyota pickups and RAV-4, I was hesitant to buy a Chevy but I did because I needed the extra size. I've got to admit - I am very surprised at the quality and reliability of this truck. I bought the truck when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. I now have over 90,000 miles on the truck and the only problems I've had so far was the Instrument Panel ($400) and the A/C belt tensioner ($250). It has the same "tight" quality feel that I grew accustomed to as a Toyota owner. It's clear that, at least on this model, GM has finally learned it's lesson and built a high-quality automobile. That was certainly not the case 15 years ago!

Excellent highway vehicle - plenty of passing power. If I drive 65 MPH or less I get between 19 and 20 MPG on the highway. I get 15 MPH in town, which is fine for a vehicle this size.

The rear seat has surprisingly little leg room, and a lamp under the hood would be nice. The front bulbs (turn signals, driving lights) don't seem to last more than 6 or 9 months - cheap to replace but kind of irritating.