Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Workhorse
By Troy S

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our LT brand new and now have 137k miles on it. Still runs great and we have had very few problems. We have replaced the water pump and brakes and the rear AC drain got clogged and flooded the back. Have experienced some electrical gremlins too but our LT has had a propensity to heal itself! The engine is strong and doesn't burn oil (we have maintained it well) and it is still tight after 137k miles. Leather seats are showing their age, but also have four kids! I expect that we will start having repairs based on miles and age, but knock on wood - so far so good. This is third Suburban - my dad drives a 99 with almost 200k on it.

Great for long trips, roomy, comfortable, the DVD player and Bose system are excellent, great pulling our nearly 5,000 lb boat. Hope to get 200k out of her before we retire her.

Gas mileage is not great but this thing is huge! Electrical system is questionable but knock on wood, things are working right now. Will certainly consider buying another when we retire her.

Mama's Beast
By CopperNcorn

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this maxed out LT with about 15,000 miles, now has 99,000. Tows 30- foot travel trailer easily with 6.0L gas V-8. The 4-wheel steering is handy, but don't use Burb much now as am worried about costly repairs and it gets 12mpg, maybe 15mpg on long trips, 12mpg on long trips with the trailer. I can't believe the depreciation, especially when gas hit $4 per gallon - terrifying. Will drive it until the wheels fall off. Wife loves her Burb, but it's so costly to operate. Probably logging less than 5,000 miles per year now.

It easily totes Mom, Dad, and 4 children plus all the stuff in the "way back". Very strong tow vehicle, zero engine or tranny troubles. Awesome for hauling family 700 miles in a day with built-in DVD player. Heated leather seats are great in winter.

Front end makes a grinding noise in low- speed turns after 30 minutes of warm-up time. Problem comes and goes, mechanics have never resolved it. Had to wait 6 months for repair parts on a steering assembly recall. Replaced front hubs at 65,000 miles. Power extending towing mirrors.

2500 8.1
By mikesbrunn

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have just passed 96000. miles. The only maintanence has been oil and trans fluids. I have never even had the brakes done. I use this to tow a 24 ft box trailer with an antique car, weight is 11,000 lbs. We have been thru the Rocky Mt 3 times and this truck pulls effortly. I would buy a new one but no 8 liters are made anymore.

stereo, 8 liter, premade trailer hook up

none

2003 Z71 suburban
By Mike

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2003. I had some problem with the dash rpm gauge twice which was corrected. The sending unit in the gas tank went bad and that hurt my pocket. But for as many miles this has driven and the places it has been ( I don't baby it ) meaning I point it and it goes on/off road--tow , I'm happy as cake with her. I'm not a little guy and its like sitting on my sofa at home. It fits 5 and tows a boat with all equipment. Hunt,fish no problem. Pull son's car out of ditches--no problem

heated leather seats,moon roof,powerful engine,comfortable ride

spruce up plain jane dash, A little more height in the suspension (Z71)

best suv
By nbcar

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best full size suv for your money. It is the best vehicle for long rides and can fit 8 people and all their bags and still have space to run around. Bose radio system is great.

all power. heated seats, folding mirror. bose system

gas millage.