2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
5.3 seem bulletproof
By consolidatedwm on 01/20/07 11:05 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the our '03 z71 burb after an accident sidelined our same style Tahoe. We had 160K on the clock with the Tahoe and I'm convinced it would have gone well past 200K with no major repairs. Very dependable and it never left us stuck. I'm sticking with the 5.3 engine and glad I did with the 'burb. Ride quality is incredible and we are amazed at the steering radius in the 'burb vs our older Tahoe. Creature features all are good quality and overall we give kudos to GM for quality, looks, and performance. We did change out all fluids to synthetics as we had good luck last time - why tempt fate. We will be in the market for a brand new one it two years, very happy with what we have to get us there.

Poor Reliability
By Bryce Christensen on 01/08/07 12:55 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Z71 Ride quality is very good and the vehicle is fun to drive. However the vehicle has had numerous reliability problems at 50,000 miles. The instrument cluster has gone bad, front end is loosening up, shocks gave out, replaced side mirrors, lights, etc. Recommend selling once the warranty expires or purchasing an extended warranty. Or purchase a better engineered SUV and avoid the extended warranty and service hassles all together. Actual gas mileage is around 13 MPG on average.

Transfer Case and Transmission replaced
By NNN from DC on 05/28/06 07:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After driving 87,000 freeway miles in 3 years, the transfer case and transmission went out at the same time. So much for being built to last. Not certain if I will ever buy American again as our qualilty can not compete!

2003 Z71 4X4
By z71 on 03/28/06 17:15 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off, not going to complain about MPG because I knew it when I bought it. 18 hwy, 14 city. 17 hwy with 6 passengers and a weeks worth of luggage. Drives great, like sitting up high. I have the Z71 package, handling is better than expected, parking is easy. We have two minivans as well, 4 kids and the Suburban is the vehicle of choice for long trips - only one that can hold all our luggage. Have the 2nd row captain chairs which makes it easier to access the third row, but not as easy as the minivans. That is the only advantage the minivans have. My wife preferred the minivan because of ease of access, but now she wants a Suburban when we replace hers, probably in 08.

Last Chevy
By PW on 03/14/06 12:53 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Where to begin, probably the worst truck I ever owned. Four Wheel Drive front end was replaced, steering box of some sort replaced, speedometer cable/control, catalytic converter, battery leaked and went dead (15K miles), acid ate through the pump for the windshield washer. Tons of problems. Biggest pile of junk I have owned. Latest problem I have is it slips into 4wd, but the indicator light does not go on, happened twice. I am going back to Ford.

2003 Suburban 1500
By Rick on 12/18/05 19:52 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Good open view of the road. Roomy and comfortable to drive. Luxury feel with heated leather seat option. Stock CD and radio system have good sound quality. Handling very good for a high profile vehicle. No mechanical problems in 33000 miles. Smooth shifting tansmission. Overall rating is good to excellent.

The Best Yet.
By Z71 on 12/01/05 17:03 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my third Chevy SUV(two suburbans,one K5 Blazer )and all have been 4wd. I enjoy surf fishing and going off road with this z71 model is great. Although I am not 100 % convinced that the electronic 4wd is better than the manual shifting 4wd it has its good points.The shift select sending module has required replacement once but now seems to work okay. Not having the shift lever on the floor enhances the interior appearence. The over all ride is very comfortable and is welcome on long trips(the wife sleeps easier and more). I will probably buy another when this one wears out or my son takes it over.Its the best vehicle for my purposes. I'm not rich but I don't let the gas mileage get me

Keep your mini-van
By ColoGSD on 11/30/05 10:17 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Z71 off-road package. Although this beast was supposed to be for my husband, it's MINE! I haul the kids, 2 large dogs, camping gear, you name it, with no problem. Sure beats driving a soccer mom mini-van anyday. It's been off-road on trails that may have been better suited for a Jeep but it sure was fun. towed a 25' loaded travel trailer to the mountains and the only problem was with the trailer. I am able to park the beast in a two car garage (remember to fold IN the mirrors FIRST) and still have room for hubby's commuter car. With the 2nd row captians chairs kids and dogs have plenty of room. Steroe is adequate, vents in roof liner are most welcomed.

Glad I sold it before out of warranty
By shenandoah75 on 11/09/05 17:14 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was built in Mexico which may be why I had so many problems when many with 1500's are happy. Had multiple electrical problems including airbag connection shorts, EBCM (brake controller) replacement, door sensors in the latches, alternator whine in stereo, door open false inmdicators. Piece of crap, but hauled our 6000lb trailer well. Any more than that and i would have wanted the big block (which i eventually got anyway to get out of this thing). For large families who two, the ride of this vehicle can't be beet. GM can certainly engineer a vehicle, they just need to build it to hold up better.

SoSo
By Rob on 07/30/05 15:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After only two years I had to replace the transmission. Very unhappy about this. Warranty covered transmission but had to pay for three days of a rental car and towing expenses. Don't think I will purchase another.