2003 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
2500 8.1
By mikesbrunn on 01/02/10 09:40 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have just passed 96000. miles. The only maintanence has been oil and trans fluids. I have never even had the brakes done. I use this to tow a 24 ft box trailer with an antique car, weight is 11,000 lbs. We have been thru the Rocky Mt 3 times and this truck pulls effortly. I would buy a new one but no 8 liters are made anymore.

2003 Z71 suburban
By Mike on 03/10/09 09:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2003. I had some problem with the dash rpm gauge twice which was corrected. The sending unit in the gas tank went bad and that hurt my pocket. But for as many miles this has driven and the places it has been ( I don't baby it ) meaning I point it and it goes on/off road--tow , I'm happy as cake with her. I'm not a little guy and its like sitting on my sofa at home. It fits 5 and tows a boat with all equipment. Hunt,fish no problem. Pull son's car out of ditches--no problem

best suv
By nbcar on 02/27/09 05:04 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best full size suv for your money. It is the best vehicle for long rides and can fit 8 people and all their bags and still have space to run around. Bose radio system is great.

Chevy = Hype
By Cameron on 01/31/09 13:19 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have always driven Fords with very little trouble. Everyone suggested I "upgrade" to Chevrolet. After owning one I can say it will be my last. I replaced the fuel pump at 70K. At 80K the speedometer cluster quit working (very common on this vehicle). Also at 80K the transfer case went out. Should I mention the electrical problems? Power doors work intermittently, windows sometimes don't roll down. When it runs, I like it. But, it spends just as much time in the shop and for a 43K vehicle, it's not worth the trouble. I'm going to get rid of it and get a reliable SUV. I'm convinced that Chevy is simply hype. I haven't exactly been blown off of my feet.

Some things questionable
By Vaughn on 06/22/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the same problems as a lot of Z71 owners had, the instrument cluster is going dead, and the front suspension/shocks are brutal. I have always been a Chevy guy, especially going for the Suburban for size and comfort, but GM should know better than to compromise on this simple engineering.

Try it you wiill like it
By WOW on 03/31/08 12:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle in 2006, at that time it had 74000 miles and I have had it for about one and a half years. I have had to replace the throttle body, but overall, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is spacious,the dvd keep the passengers occupied, second row captain chairs are very comfortable and the third roow seating, really can seat adults. If you haven't noticed I have the LT model and I did not think American vehicle had it in them, but I tell you if you are looking for space, this is it. try it you will like it,convince my cousin to buy one and he's lovin' it.

Chevy Diehard
By BenGrainger on 02/24/08 14:41 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven Chevy's all my life. But this one may send me away. Nothing but dash problem everything has to be serviced because of lights coming on even after I have it serviced. Airbag went out right after warranty. Goes into 4 wheel low by itself. Replaced Horn, entire AC. DVD player in roof causing whole roof to droop. I love my truck but it is driving me crazy with expenses and dash lights always on. I always have things flushed and take care of my vehicles. $1000 dollars for air bag replacement now is out of my budget. Can not afford to take in to figure out why it goes into 4 wheel on its own. New horn now has problems again. This is at least my 7th Chevy could be last.

Surprisingly Good Truck
By Mark Cee on 01/21/08 14:39 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After years of driving Toyota pickups and RAV-4, I was hesitant to buy a Chevy but I did because I needed the extra size. I've got to admit - I am very surprised at the quality and reliability of this truck. I bought the truck when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles on it. I now have over 90,000 miles on the truck and the only problems I've had so far was the Instrument Panel ($400) and the A/C belt tensioner ($250). It has the same "tight" quality feel that I grew accustomed to as a Toyota owner. It's clear that, at least on this model, GM has finally learned it's lesson and built a high-quality automobile. That was certainly not the case 15 years ago!

Never again
By Terry on 11/13/07 21:10 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Sorry. My family dream car has been a nightmare. We have drove this vehicle to the dealership so many times to be repaired that they are even sorry they sold it to us. We have drove this car for over half of its miles with the amber engine light on. (bought it new ) wire harness, gas tank, struts, radio, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, trailer tow short in steering wheel, steering collum, front wheel seals, ghost signals to amber light, wheel bearings, and now the transmission just went out at 115k, we kept thinking nothing else could go wrong, now we know we were wrong. GM says they are sorry for our troubles, and they have assigned me a case number that no doubt will be lost in cyberspace.

Perfect SUV
By Perfect SUV on 09/17/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2003 Suburban LT, and this has got to be the perfect SUV! We traded a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan for this truck, and we are so pleased with this Suv. It has 70,000 miles on it, and runs like brand new. The turning radius is excellent, the 5.3 vortec V8 is extremely strong, and rides very nice. Ours has 4 bucket seats and a 3rd row bench seat, and it can seat 7 adults very comfortably. It also has a very large cargo area in the rear to hold all of the kids stuff. I also have a 99 Chevy Z71 Truck with 170,000 miles on it, so I know how dependable and reliable Chevy trucks are. I am so glad to have my wife and 3 kiddos in a big, strong, dependable truck. We all love it.!