2003 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Electronic nightmare
By Brooks1 on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a brand new 2003 LT with all the gadgets (including DVD). It was extremely comfortable and smooth riding. However, the electronic climate control system had a problem where the A/C would go wide open no matter what temp. setting you had it on. Also, the headlights flicker on and off. After 4 trips to the GM dealership, I left it with them and got my old car back. I also have a 2001 Suburban LT which has been great. However, because of GM's lack of service and knowledge on the 2003, the next one I buy will be from another manufacturer. Warning - If you buy the 2003 with all the electronic gadgets, don't expect much support from GM.

Z71
By Chevydude on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got my Z71 Suburbon in January 2002 and drove it 18,000 miles with no maintence needed. Its been a great car. Absolutly no complaints

Work Truck
By Swine on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

My vehicle is a work truck assigned to me by the California State Parks. As an Archaeologist, I have found that the off-road capability and passenger/cargo capabilities have made it a good vehicle. Since about 80% of my mileage is off-road, I have shredded the cheap Firestone tires, and have constant emissions problems (the air intake box is not nearly heavy duty enough). Also, the air conditioner filter is inadequate. Finally, the build quality is slightly cheap, and pieces (molding, lights, etc..)routinely fall off (the snap back on though).

Trade in for 03
By M. Williams on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Nice up grade with the system gas mileage and trip computer. My wife would only take one with the heated seats. A little unclear if you can add a DVD with a sun roof. Traded in a 01 LT for the 03Z71 cannot wait to take a trip.

Outstanding
By paul krupp on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

19,500 miles not one trip to the dealer for anything beside routine maint. very pleased with the 5.3L. we tow a 2 horse trailer as well as farm equipment with no problems. Tow haul mode works well. Z71 pkg with 17 inch tires push this truck through the mud / snow with the posi hooking up quickly. I have played hard with this truck and have not buried it once. Best two tank average towing, with 6 people. 14 mpg, best two tank average 6 passengers no towing 18mpg. the Z71 pkg is a stiffer ride than regular but that is what i ordered. Fit and paint look great. I/P is laid out well, auto fwd engages very fast once initial wheel spin is observed.

Suburban does it again
By Juan Salas on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

About two years ago I sold my 1997 Suburban. I thought I would never find another vehicle like my 1997 Suburban. Boy, I was wrong. When I took delivery of my 2003 LT 2WD Suburban I was really impressed by the smoothness and the handling of this mamoth. I am really happy as well as my family to have purchased this King of the road. Long live the Suburban!

Exactly what I wanted
By camper77 on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have a '03 Suburban LS which we will use primarily to tow a Coleman camper. I love the Bose sound system, the smooth drive train, and the overall design. I very carefully looked at a wide range of vehicles and I think this one has everything I want at a very competitive price. I think the Sequoia is a higher quality vehicle, but when you factor in the price and the extra space, I think the Suburban wins.

Very Good Vehicle
By gunnin4six on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Truly enjoy driving this vehicle. Mileage has been surprisingly high for a truck this size (16-20mpg), and that includes 2000 miles a year towing a 2500lb boat. The quality has been a slight disappointment, it has been to the shop on 5 seperate occasions for minor warranty repairs over the first 2 years. Also, the interior is made up of a fair amount of cheap plastic. All and all, its a very good truck, and still the best true sport utility out there.

2001 Suburban Review
By bjd on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very nice and fun to drive and has a lot of room

Suburban LT
By wpayne on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Picked up last week of October. Break in milegage (under 60) was 21.5 mpg. Mileage drops off over 60. Comfort is great, as well as roominess.