Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Most Helpful|
2003 Chevy Surburban LT
By mrwholesaler

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

GREAT CAR!!!! I love this truck, it runs out awesome. I have been a auto wholesaler for over 17 yrs and never owned such a wonderful truck. We have owned this truck for over 4 years and its running smooth with 150k on it. I replaced the water pump, fuel pump and alternator that's it. We drive to NJ from Florida three times a year with a family of five and its the best. So comfortable on long trips.. Its great on fuel if I keep it at 75mph it will do 17mpg in the city 15mpg with the big chrome wheels.. I will never buy any other suv again unless its a Suburban. Wish they had a diesel

Favorite Features

Seats, Bose

Suggested Improvements

fuel mpg

The best in large SUVs
By quickjack

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Suburban for 2 years, and during that time racked up 25,000 miles without issue. Aside from being one of the most reliable vehicles I have had, it was also the most comfortable, more so than my Jaguar or Cadillac. I averaged 15 mpg city and 19 highway. I used it as a tow vehicle at times, where it pulled a 4000lb car plus trailer without breaking a sweat, even managing 14 mpg on the freeway doing it. The big truck was deceptively easy to drive, even in the worst of weather. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a large people mover.

Favorite Features

Good power, high level of comfort, good turning radius, roomy

Suggested Improvements

Number 8 spark plug is wedged in too tight, hard to change. bottom corners of doors prone to rust

The Best Generation of Burb Yet...a JOY
By corpstothecore

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We owned a ’03 1500 LT Sub for five years before finally upgrading to a 2500 same year color (White). The first huge difference is the ¾ ton’s rear leaf springs which really smooth out the worst part of I-40 at Yukon, OK…blop-blop-blop-blop-blop all the way in most truck with coil springs in all four, but not the case with the beefy beast. Handling is a dream with hardly any body role, which is remarkable for such a huge high sitting comfort ride. New vehicles are still advertising amenities as something special which these GM trucks have offered for over a decade! It’s a true luxury go anywhere ultra-comfort ride that puts a smile on faces and is fun as well as a joy to drive off-road &...

Favorite Features

..down the highway with a load of student athletes to the big game. 13 MPG lacks something to be appreciative of, but the nice tradeoff is plenty of power up Grapevine passing everyone else in their cute zoom-zooms. Some of the most comfortable seating accompanied by fresh rays through the sun-roof, coupled with BOSE sound and XM radio as well as dual comfort-zone HVAC to keep the passenger in their zone, then all you need is an overhead DVD entertainment center w/ on-board games… Life is grand. Just a simple removal & there’s plenty of room for an air mattress if needed. Life’s short. Splurge on a quality mattress, avoid wasting $ on unhealthy fast foods & drive in enjoyable comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better acceleration. Improved longer lasting gages. Install seat adjust front & rear so that it isn’t backwards on driver side. Depart from leather seat covering & use a quality synthetic vinyl or tough cloth. My best suggestion, is for Chevy to make the latest generation 2007-2012 & on, as well as 2003-2006!

American Beauty
By David

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought our 2003 Sub LT new in 2003. 130,000 miles later still going strong. GM has a real winner with this truck, and the LT has all the creature comforts for the long rides to the beach or skiing (and running around town). Some drama along the way: Seat memories early on, AC failure around 50K, fuel tank sender issues but darn thing is so much fun to have around we have kept her even after the family has grown up. My wife now drives a Lexus RX (and all her friends too) but I can't let this gem go.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort outstanding. Cool AC, plenty of heat (and seats). Radio/XM crisp and clear. 5.7 V8 is king of the road. Regular gas is nice. 4WD keeps us fat and happy during snow storms.

Suggested Improvements

Car is 7 years old, but 6 speed tranny and navigation would be nice to have now.

Great Suv
By jgot

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2003 ls suburban after dumping our horrible 1996 Ford Windstar van. The suburban had about 30k miles on it. It now has 120k miles on it and we have had no major problems with the vehicle at all. We love this truck. The gas milage is actually not bad we get around 18mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Interior looks cheap.