Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Chevy Suburban goes the extra mile
By Rodney Martin

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Suburban brand new in 2003. It now has 240,000 miles. I've reapolstered the front seats, installed a new stereo system with blue tooth, installed Flow Master Exhaust and put new rims on it. I love this vehicle. It is a great ride, has been very reliable. I've never been left on the roadside with this vehicle. We've followed the manufacturer recommended maintenance schedule and it's still going strong. I've heard of Suburbans going over 400,000 miles. I'm shooting to break the record, then put a new engine in it and keep this thing forever. We love it so much, we bought the GMC version of this; GMC Yukon Denali, and we love it even more.

Just went over 300,000 miles
By jollyprez

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in December, 2003. Had a few warranty issues, but don't care as they were paid-for. Outside of warranty, we've had about $5,000 in repairs over the past DECADE. ( not including tires & brakes ) This includes replacing both bumpers as they rusted from New England road salt. Sure, there are few things that don't work, but mostly little things. We were considering a new tow vehicle, but figure for another $5,000 we can really spruce this puppy up, and save $50,000.

Just plain comfortable. 4WD performance has been appreciated on our 300-yard driveway in the winter. Towing works quite well, appreciate the towing-mode on the shifter.

The radio buttons are painted-on - and ours are all white and unreadable now. Remote start would be nice at -20F. Trailer wiring needs a little cubby to get it out of the salt - had to replace ours twice. Ability to prop-up windshield wipers so they don't freeze to the windshield - maybe heated?

The Best Generation of Burb Yet...a JOY
By corpstothecore

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We owned a ’03 1500 LT Sub for five years before finally upgrading to a 2500 same year color (White). The first huge difference is the ¾ ton’s rear leaf springs which really smooth out the worst part of I-40 at Yukon, OK…blop-blop-blop-blop-blop all the way in most truck with coil springs in all four, but not the case with the beefy beast. Handling is a dream with hardly any body role, which is remarkable for such a huge high sitting comfort ride. New vehicles are still advertising amenities as something special which these GM trucks have offered for over a decade! It’s a true luxury go anywhere ultra-comfort ride that puts a smile on faces and is fun as well as a joy to drive off-road &...

..down the highway with a load of student athletes to the big game. 13 MPG lacks something to be appreciative of, but the nice tradeoff is plenty of power up Grapevine passing everyone else in their cute zoom-zooms. Some of the most comfortable seating accompanied by fresh rays through the sun-roof, coupled with BOSE sound and XM radio as well as dual comfort-zone HVAC to keep the passenger in their zone, then all you need is an overhead DVD entertainment center w/ on-board games… Life is grand. Just a simple removal & there’s plenty of room for an air mattress if needed. Life’s short. Splurge on a quality mattress, avoid wasting $ on unhealthy fast foods & drive in enjoyable comfort.

Better acceleration. Improved longer lasting gages. Install seat adjust front & rear so that it isn’t backwards on driver side. Depart from leather seat covering & use a quality synthetic vinyl or tough cloth. My best suggestion, is for Chevy to make the latest generation 2007-2012 & on, as well as 2003-2006!

The best in large SUVs
By quickjack

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Suburban for 2 years, and during that time racked up 25,000 miles without issue. Aside from being one of the most reliable vehicles I have had, it was also the most comfortable, more so than my Jaguar or Cadillac. I averaged 15 mpg city and 19 highway. I used it as a tow vehicle at times, where it pulled a 4000lb car plus trailer without breaking a sweat, even managing 14 mpg on the freeway doing it. The big truck was deceptively easy to drive, even in the worst of weather. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a large people mover.

Good power, high level of comfort, good turning radius, roomy

Number 8 spark plug is wedged in too tight, hard to change. bottom corners of doors prone to rust

2003 Chevy Surburban LT
By mrwholesaler

2003 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

GREAT CAR!!!! I love this truck, it runs out awesome. I have been a auto wholesaler for over 17 yrs and never owned such a wonderful truck. We have owned this truck for over 4 years and its running smooth with 150k on it. I replaced the water pump, fuel pump and alternator that's it. We drive to NJ from Florida three times a year with a family of five and its the best. So comfortable on long trips.. Its great on fuel if I keep it at 75mph it will do 17mpg in the city 15mpg with the big chrome wheels.. I will never buy any other suv again unless its a Suburban. Wish they had a diesel

Seats, Bose