2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2002 Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Touring Car & Excellent Tow Car
By BaldEagle

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We put on over 30,000 miles a year about 1/3 of that pulling our 31ft Airstream which weighs in at about 7,800 lbs ready to travel. I track gas mileage. Highest 19.23 and lowest 11.48. With an overall average over 28,000 miles of 15.79 (that is 1/3 towing over mostly interstates. The ride, power and braking are great. . Living in the Chicago area, we appreciate the heated seats. Their lombar support is great on those long trips which may be five days straight towing. All in all a much improved vehicle over my previous 5 Suburbans and I really liked them very much.

Favorite Features

Lift gate/lift rear window, comfort of the front bucket seats, ability to handle our travel trailer with ease.

Suggested Improvements

More floor exit room at the center seat. Door post to seat bottom is very narrow. Easier access to seat controls at bucket seats. 12V outlet for the center seat

Best Big Family Option
By Giovanni Perlloni

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My kids like Sequoia because the beatifull exterior, but they preferred the comfortable interior of Suburban.

Favorite Features

The Z71 package make you feel free to explore all terrains.

Suggested Improvements

Seat memory for Two people.

Awesome SUV
By Paul Duncan

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our 'Burban after much searching. First drive was first love. This rig drives like a dream! I owned a 1996 Impala SS prior to this, and it would give it a run for its money. It has excellent acceleration, corners flat, brakes that you can't believe, and a ride that is cushioned, but not soft. The paint...Wow! Looks miles deep when clean...When I drive (actually pry the keys out of the wifes hands) I cannot help but think "Chevy finally did this right". If you have a chance, drive one, you'll be taking it home. Oh, I almost forgot..On the way home from the dealership (400 mile trip), we got 20 miles per gallon.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Stock stereo - Wow. Just the overall driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

Optional integrated child seats. Switchable front passenger side airbag (similar to the trucks). More wear pads on the carpets where you enter/exit the 3rd seat.

Towing, Hauling & Feeling Good
By Rick Waterman

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was the perfect fit for a family of six that camps, hauls gear, drives to vacation destinations, and tows a boat. Nice features and ride make it feel like a luxury vehicle, but the marvel is in the engineering and safety.

Favorite Features

-Excellent tow rating and handling. -Extended maintenance intervals. -4WD & Tow/Haul Mode Transmission. -Safety equipment. -Stereo System (9 speaker CD/Cassette). -OnStar, Homelink & antitheft features. -Sun roof and power everything.

Suggested Improvements

-More room between door and power seat controls. -GM should back up this great vehicle with a warranty that says they believe in it.

Great vehicle for the family
By Gerb

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased the suburb in Green Bay at Broadway. All the people we delt with were great and very helpful. My wife picked black for the color and I picked the 1500 LS 4x4 with trailer package, lift gate and premium tires. All the other features that we were looking for were standard on the LS. Including four wheel anti-lock disc brakes, 3rd row seat, power everything and much more.

Favorite Features

The 5.3 liter engine has excellent power for my use and for the size of this vehicle it has good gas milage. I like the interior size and best of all I really enjoy the ride and feel.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that I can recommend is the sound system in the rear of the vehicle should be less boomy.

Like a rock...
By bic_dog

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

No issues with vehicle - wonderful vehicle. Dealership was wonderful to deal with/

Favorite Features

Sunroof, autoride, bucket seats, power points everywhere

My first Suburban and it's a winner
By jaw2000

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well I have had it 3 mos, and done much driving. I average about 16 mpg vice the 18 I had w/a 2000 Montero Sport, but this baby is much bigger and at least 1000 lbs heavier. Milage only dips if most is rush hour stop and go. More room than I have ever had before, neither I nor my wife nor the kids know what to do with all of it. By the way, I am 6'3", and 260, this really is my first auto that I did not rest my knees on the dash of. Pleasure to drive, feels great, sounds great, no complaints well my wife and I do argue about who drives it does that count?

Favorite Features

Nice radio/cd/tape, roomy, view and driving position, and it fits in the garage. Homelink = less clutter, another plus.

Suggested Improvements

Courtesy lights in 3rd row, split 3rd row, power rear lift gate, sliding seat to 3rd row on both sides, reclining 2nd row. (Note these are nice to haves). But I really would like to have better access to the seat controls with the door closed.

Bigger is Better
By 3lakeswi

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Traded in a 2001 Yukon for the 2002 Suburban and the ride, acceleration and mileage are similar. The Z71 affords a stiifer ride and should since it is the "off road" suspension. The General delivers a more highly refined and better built vehicle than ever before with the Suburban. My wife has a Toyota Sequoia and the Suburban and Yukon were both head and shoulders above the Toyota in every aspect.

Favorite Features

comfortable front seats, ride, towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

stereo

Only one Suburban, no competition!
By Torod

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The General just keeps making them better. And listen up folks..besides being fast with loads of horse power....They get GOOD mileage! I stay above 16 in town and often go over 20 on trips. I know Edmonds likes to knock GM but I can attest they are full of "you know what"!!! Their bias shows when they say the 'Burb's are gas guzzlers and the Ford Expedition's aren't... The 'Burbs get far better mileage but you'd never now it from Edmund's anti GM minion's!

Favorite Features

Comfort and safety

Suggested Improvements

Like to eliminate some minor blind spots Add automatic wipers, power rear gate.