2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2002 Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Sort Reviews by

My Burb
By jerryditty

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is the best towing truck I have ever had.

Favorite Features

AUTO FWD in the snow is great.

Suggested Improvements

More ground clearance.

Lemon
By orangeavalon

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have spent alot of money keeping this on the road and running.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride.

Sure surprised me!
By saukuf

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have never been a GM fan. I owned an Expedition prior to buying the Suburban. The 'Burb is by far the better vehicle. I have had a great experience with this vehicle. Runs great, spacious, comfortable, drives well. I have 4 growing kids and there is plenty of room.

Second time around
By CindyJ

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This my second Suburban, having owned a 1999 LT. The bucket seats in the center row make getting in and out of the back seat very easy, especially for children. Third row folds and locks into place. We take it on long trips and are quite comfortable. Rides great for a truck.

Favorite Features

Second row bucket seats. Hatchback with wiper.

Suggested Improvements

Side airbags for rear passengers.

the suburban stinks
By kellie

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my suburban.... from the breaks squeaking (which was never resolved, gmac's answer to that was 'sorry, it's just how the mettallic break pads work - there's nothing we can do'), to fluid leaks (steering and air conditioning)to having the seats warped- all within only two years of owning it! I will never purchase a chevy again and I suggest you don't either - at least not the suburban

Favorite Features

the tv

Suggested Improvements

an all around improvement of how the car is manufactured and how gmac handles a "lemon" are definitely needed

White LT 4x4
By Mhardison

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Sub after a minivan and station wagon. Nothing compares to it. It has great room to fit the family very comfortably. I love this truck. We bought it with 12k miles on it and have had no major problems. Fuel economy is decent considering the mass you are driving. We get 16-17 mpg on open road, and 11-12 around town. It is very capable in wintry weather, very stable and confidence inspiring. Auto 4x4 works great.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, safety in size, styling, interior capacity, turning radius (it turns shorter than our wagon did), sunroof, A/C (like a freezer, if you like)

Suggested Improvements

Michelin tires standard, use higher quality leather, nicer-to-the-touch switches & buttons, offer a diesel in 1/2 ton models, more leg room in 3rd row seating (adjustable/sliding 3rd seat)

a
By David Mitchell

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Drives great, quiet ride. I have not had any problems with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Needs more ground clearance.

Problem after Problem
By Sam50

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If I can keep it out of the shop I may start to like it. The air conditioner has broke twice with the same problem....turns on full blast and none of the controls will turn it off (even if you turn the vehicle off it still runs). CD player broker after only using it 10 minutes. The brakes squeal most of the time and the dealer says that is normal. The Firestone tires make a whine noise and the dealer said I must rotate tires after every OIL CHANGE (yeah right) to prevent cupping. The power windows squeak on roll down. The transmission slips and the dealer said it's within specs. Other than the above problems the LT Sub is great (sarcasm).

Favorite Features

Cargo area is awesome. Seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY needs vast improvements.

My old SUV on Sterioids
By wiselteats

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Cowboy caddy, redneck limosine were some nick names for the Burb that I used to utter in my mind when I would see one pass me in my 4Runner on the interstate back in my supremely loyal Toyota owning days. To be swayed away from Toyota to Chevy by the impressive Suburban should speak volumes to not only Toyota and other SUV designers but to the droves of rabid Toyota SUV loyalists (me being a former one). This ride rocks.

Favorite Features

Split rear door cargo access area. Large cargo capacity spacious interior, large luggage rack. Smooth riding suspension. Premium sounding base model stereo/cd system. Push button selection transfer system (4 settings) Auto 4wd. HI-2, HI-4, LO4. Beautiful body styling.

Suggested Improvements

Improved fuel economy (something in the 20's for highway) current rating is 14 city 18 highway.

Great family hauler
By whittp

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Suburban pulls my 4500lb boat effortlessly. I was very impressed with the stability and performance under heavy load. The drive train is very well matched to this size vehicle. I have only had minor problems all of which were addressed by the Chevrolet dealership. They included a freon leak in the a/c system, a rattle in the steering linkage, and a malfunctioing seatbelt.

Favorite Features

I like the towing ability. Better than average fuel economy for this size vehicle. Very comfortable for 7 people (mine has the captain chairs).

Suggested Improvements

Very poor tires from the factory. I replaced them with Michelin LTX and am very pleased. I have had the windshield replaced twice now. Chevrolet might consider a design change to prevent rock chips.