Used 2002 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Eliminate Back pain
By danwrox

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I first went to the Suburban from a minivan to help reduce back pain and it has saved me lots of Doctor bills. I used to be in pain after long drives but I drove from Boston to Orlando without a break and it was a dream. This is like driving around in your living room from both a comfort and space standpoint. It has tremendous power but will still get almost 19MPG if you go easy on the acceleration. I wish auto critics would end the foreign car bias and give credit where credit is due. Coming up on 100K and only a window motor for problems is true quality design. And considering 80K on the original tires it has been well below most vehicles for maintenance costs.

Comfort, efficiency(no more two car trips with the family)

Better fuel economy in the new models which are on the way.

Poor Reliability
By Dan

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been owning Subs for about 10 years now. I am not sure I will own one again though. I am so tired of all the mechanical issues I have had to go through with them. I am not hard on my vehicles, change oil every 2500 miles, do all regular preventative maintence (tune up at 85,000 instead of 100,000 miles). I currently have stuck just about $3000 into this vehicle in the past 6 months. It now has 89,000 miles on it and I have done the following: fuel pump ($1100), transmission flush and filer change ($240), left front wheel bearing ($412), anti-lock brake module ($975), and other misc items that needed fixing. This might be my last Suburban I ever own.

Size and power.

Fuel system, front axle, braking system, and transmission

2002 Suburban
By DRH

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

3/4 ton is the perfect camping vehicle. Room for the crew and performance to keep them safe. After 80k miles it is still like new. Mileage is not the best, but when you have to tow you have no choice.

Interior is too comfortable for a truck

Road Warrior
By vacottonking

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is everything you would expect it to be. Gas mileage for this much weight and this much torque is the best in its class. We typically do 19 to 20 mpg on a road trip and have 4x4. Our son is 5 hours away at college and I would not drive anything else to see him outside of a luxury sedan. This is a traveling machine and will tow when needed.

Power, towing capability, hauling capability, visibility for a 5'2" woman driver, comfort equal to a cadillac, passenger comfort. No problems at 84K miles.

It would be interesting to have more 'hide away' seating in the cargo area. An 11 or 12 passenger vehicle is sometimes desirable and no van can match this road king.

Burb
By Barry

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive Ford trucks at work and this SUV blows Ford out of the water! I love it! Chevy's got me hooked. My F250 needs about 4 lanes to do a u-turn. My Burb needs like a two lane road and my outside tire will barely be off the road. It is so much more comfortable than the Fords. We test drove Expeditions and the Burb was no comparison

• SUV