Used 2002 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Safety First
By Safety First

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So I bought this used Suburban about 3 months ago with about 66000 miles on it. I was looking forward to many years, but it only lasted 3 months. A lady ran a red light, and I hit her Tahoe in the side at 55 MPH. I can't say enough about this truck. I hit the other lady so hard that one of my headlights was stuck in the side of her car, yet I was not hurt at all. I was able to walk around right after the accident. Sure I was sore the next week from the force of the impact, but considering how hard the impact was I am amazed at how my lack of injury. I will definately be buying another one. I know that I am safe in this vehicle. Thanks GM!

Favorite Features

Collision safety, tons of space, and fun to drive, inside is very comfortable even though I have back problems. Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage is always nice, but getting 15+ around town with a heavy foot isn't bad for something this big. Split 3rd row seat, or fold away would be nice.

Not happy
By Dan

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well, this is Suburban number 3 for my family and will probably be the last one I buy. We love having the room for our son, the dogs, and all our gear, but this is a money pit. Gas mileage is 14.2 running 70-75mph, replaced fuel pump at 85,000. Between 85,000 and 100,000 we have spent $3200 in repairs. Add in the tune-up, brake flush, radiator flush and we are over $3500. The Suburban is probably one of the best vehicles in terms of meeting the needs of our family (pulling a boat, hunting, traveling, etc), but the fact that I can't get 100,000 miles out of a vehicle without a pile full of repairs is insane. Unless you can trade every 3 years on new, don't buy a Suburban.

Favorite Features

Size, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to make these vehicles more reliable. They have the system down...you buy and at 100,000 you best be ready to put money into them. Then they put "lifetime warranty" parts on them. Why don't they use those parts in the first place???

What a way to build a vehicle !
By Chip

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since new and only had a couple of problems. The I- Shaft for the steering (GM knows of this problem and repaired it), 2 master cylinders (covered under extended warranty). Drives rock solid, in snow, water, dry pavement. Pulls boat trailer and race trailer with little problem. Bigger motor would have been better choice and a Duramax Diesel would be better.

Favorite Features

Ride and comfort are great.

Suggested Improvements

DuraMax diesel w/Allison trans

Convinced
By kle361

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was disappointed to buy the 2WD but price range dictated. Didn't really want anything this large, but had twins on the way, and it was the only vehicle large enough to fit my double- stroller without it toppling out on me. With 4 older kids, space for cargo was definitely a concern, too. Bought vehicle used with about 40K. Added 17" offroad tires, really made a difference in handling. Put over 50K on it in the year that I owned it, and the only issue I had was the a/c went out at about 110K miles. Loved the ride and the roominess. Several TX to FL trips were comfortable, even with 6 kids along! Will always buy Suburbans if I can afford it!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, lumbar control, roomy interior, leather, roomy cargo, dual a/c, second row headphones so kids could listen to CD while I listened to the radio... just about everything about the vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage... but I knew it going in. I still got about the same mileage as my husband got in his 2005 Chevy truck! Would have liked backup sensors.

Eliminate Back pain
By danwrox

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I first went to the Suburban from a minivan to help reduce back pain and it has saved me lots of Doctor bills. I used to be in pain after long drives but I drove from Boston to Orlando without a break and it was a dream. This is like driving around in your living room from both a comfort and space standpoint. It has tremendous power but will still get almost 19MPG if you go easy on the acceleration. I wish auto critics would end the foreign car bias and give credit where credit is due. Coming up on 100K and only a window motor for problems is true quality design. And considering 80K on the original tires it has been well below most vehicles for maintenance costs.

Favorite Features

Comfort, efficiency(no more two car trips with the family)

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy in the new models which are on the way.