2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
2002 LT
By Alan on 04/27/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle because of 4 kids and needed more legroom than our GMC Safari. Kids never complain about legroom (even with 2 teenagers). The vehicle is great on long trips. It is a very comfortable ride. We have not really had any mechanical issues, but have had the radio system replaced once (the digital clock kept resetting to 1:00) but the dealer was great about the warranty work. I like the 4- wheel ABS and OnStar.

It's Awesome
By Dominic Schreiber on 03/06/06 20:31 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the only vehicle I have ever purchased new. It was a Christmas present for my wife after downsizing her from an Expedition to an Audi A4! The Suburban is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the Expedition! I have had it over four years now with 79000 miles and NOT A PEEP out of it. Yeah it sucks gas....but look at what it is! I will never get rid of it unless I buy a new one!

You get what you pay for
By KEITH on 12/28/05 13:53 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has the z71 suspension, towing package, interior upgrades. I have not driven a full sized SUV that has driving this well. The rear locking differential is a wonderful feature to augment 4 wheel performance. A heavy vehicle for steep descents on ice. Itís imperative to know how to drive a vehicle in icy conditions when traversing this much weight. Comfort level is very high on and off road. Fuel usage is not overcome by the great power band of the motor - it still hurts to fill it up. Small price for the safety of my passengers. This vehicle is not to be compared to car based SUV's. Don't lift the suspension of this truck it becomes top heavy and loses its solid stance.

Suburban Review
By Bruce Sullivan on 10/21/05 11:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great! I use it to haul my family and to tow a camper. Outstanding power, comfort, and extemely reliable.

Love my 'Burb
By ddb on 08/31/05 22:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The 2002 Suburban has been an excellent ride. 90% of miles are on major, crowded, dangerous interstate. Car has held up very well w/almost no maintenance needs. Super comfortable. What I pay in gas is made up for in safety and comfort. It's the best car I've ever had.

The Burb
By Burber on 08/26/05 16:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It's been great with the exception of having to replace the catalytic converter which cost a few bucks! Sufficient power, drives smaller than it is, very quiet.

No minivan for us.
By Lee on 05/25/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We upgrade to the Suburban from a Dodge Ram due to our expanding family. We first test drove the Tahoe and then the Suburban. The Tahoe felt like it had too much sway, the Suburban was more "with the road". We were also sold on the massive amount of room behind the 3rd seat. After the warranty expired we discovered that the intermitent wipers were not working correctly and the intermediate steering arm needs to be replaced. The steering arm was said to be a common problem by our dealership, but one we would have to pay for. Same with the wipers. The only other concern I have is the side of the driver's seat is starting to tear.

Great Family Truckster
By sub-lover on 01/03/05 21:15 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great car for the family. Good power. My wife thought it would be hard to drive, but quickly fell in love with it. She really doesn't have any trouble parking or driving it. Tows my boat very well too!

The most unreliable vehicle...
By whitt on 01/03/05 19:28 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned many General Motors vehicles in the past and have had better than average results. I purchased the Suburban for the seating capacity and the towing capability. It is a very comfortable vehicle and pulls very well. That's the good part. To make a long story short, this truck has been in the shop 12 times in less than 2 years for various items. Some examples are 3x for replacment of steering linkage, 4x for air conditioner repair, and the latest (for which GM will lose my lifetime business) the rearend differential went out. For those not familiar with trucks, this is a part that just doesnt break. (The dealer even said so) Still GM refused to fix. Im now looking at Nissan.

Runs Fine / Does what it is supposed to.
By gjg on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a large vehicle that had space to carry a large load and could pull a trailer. The Suburban worked out just fine - no problems, strong motor, very reliable, decent ride for a large SUV and pretty good handling.