2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2002 Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Car, Will never own anything else!
By divot2245

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my burb 6 years ago with 71000 miles on it, It now has 216000 and still going strong, never have had any major problems with it besides regular maintenance. Always starts and has never left me stranded, except for a flat tire, but thats not the car. This is my second burb and inbetween the two I owned and expedition, complained the whole time I owned the car. Got this burb and have never looked back. Passanger space is great and I have had 7 grown adults in the car comfortably for long journey's. Gas milage is about 13, but that is the only complaint I have. Its safe, I can see through the windows of the car in front of me. I would reccommend this truck to anyone

Favorite Features

Large, Safe and easy to see out of. Towing is a Dream, Have hauled horses all over the country with it.

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas Milage

Love it
By chkrhntr

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 4WD 'burban new and finally gave it to the kids at 142,000 miles. Only thing that ever failed was the fuel pump ($600). Very reliable and got over 17mpg on freeway! Extremely comfortable to drive and handled like a luxury car. My other 4WD owning friends referred to it as "the pillow barge". I wish i still had it.

Favorite Features

ride, reliability, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

ground clearance too low for off roading even with the Z71 package- I scraped the trailer electrical plug off several times. Chevy needs to reposition these higher on the rear bumper

240k & STILL Running STRONG!
By AAW!

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased out Burban NEW and 240k miles she still looks like the day we drove it out of the showroom. I have to replace the fuel pump next weekend and that's it. Over the years, we (KNOCK ON WOOD) have had minimal problems even while pulling our 2007 27 K-Z Travel Trailer!

Favorite Features

Bun warmers!

Suggested Improvements

The Stone guards needed to be painted monochromatic. Fixed in later years.

Best Big Family Rig.... HANDS DOWN!!!
By Matt M.

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought our 'burb with 85,747 miles. We were nervous about buying one with over 75k, but now I'd buy one with 150k on it... Previously we had a 2005 dodge ram 3500 long bed, we needed more room for the kids and this was the first obvious option. After owning this one I'll definitely buy another. It pulls our 23' travel trailer with ease and the whole family is comfortable. NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS whatsoever, and 161,982 miles later we've done nothing more than maintenance and tires / brakes. the MOST DEPENDABLE VEHICLE I'VE EVER HAD!!

Favorite Features

great interior design, with quad captain's chairs it's a snap to access the third row. Excellentr stereo system with the factory subwoofer option and great styling outside. plenty of power for pulling trailer

Suggested Improvements

taller suspension (low ground clearance is a hinderance when driving 30 miles a day on logging roads... (hunting every fall) rear heat and a/c should have a control feature to limit

Great for a big family!!
By jayna

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck last year because we where expecting a new baby and needed more room. I LOVE this truck. It drives great and you can barely hear the engine running it is sooo quiet. I have had no big problems with it. Its great for hauling stuff too. I had to move my husbands 800 series bobcat and it pulled it so nicely. I could barely tell I was hauling it.

Favorite Features

I love that it has the cordless head phones so that my kids can watch a movie or listen to some other type of music on the radio or cd. It is very compy and love how you can adjust the seat to your comfort and that the seats can heat up too when too cold.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to see them make it so that the 3rd row seats could fold down flat and of course better gas is always a plus++

Love My Suburban
By jcam

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Suburban. With 80,000 miles on it, it has cost me less in maintenance than my Honda scooter with 4k. Be prepared for the gas bill, but be pleasantly surprised by the lack of maintenance cost. I do regular oil changes, have changed tires twice, and just got my first brake job. I love my 'burban. It's about to haul me, my wife and our two dogs on a three week camping trip across the country, and I have no worries about it's performance. Buy American! You wont be disappointed!!!

Favorite Features

Tight turning, exceptionally smooth ride, tons of space, safety, low maintenance cost.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy and lower price point.

Great SUV
By BP

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Suburban. I rolled the first one. We bought this one with 113,000 miles on it and it still looks new. There is hardly any wear in the leather at all and the carpet still looks great. Maybe they didn't have kids? Have not had any problems yet. Love the comfort and ride. Much quieter than my 99'.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, memory seats.

Suggested Improvements

No controls in the steering wheel.

Great Traveling Car, too many repairs
By Colorado Traveler

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought 1 year old with 27k miles. Drives like a dream, even in extreme snow/blizzard. Problem is reliability. Had AC replace at 50k, transmission at 60k, transmission at 90k, transmission at 110k. Never towed anything, just issues with transmission. With complaints said, we feel ultra safe traveling, even in extreme blizzards when other cars are spinning off the road. Put Yokohama AT/S tires on it, and can go anywhere in sun/rain/snow.

Favorite Features

Ultra safe driveability in our harsh Colorado winters.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission...

Great truck, reliable
By peter m

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck for us over the years, and I want to thank Chevy for building it. It has had a few mechanical issues, (replaced starter, air conditioning unit), but by and large we are still pleased after 7 years, 131,000miles. My wife drives it and loves it. She doesn't look forward to a new car, in fact, content to drive this one until it dies.

Favorite Features

Safety- my wife and kids are as safe in this vehicle as any I can put them in. Capacity- 3 rows plus cargo room. Reliability- my wife and kids have never been stuck on the road somewhere. Ride- This car rides like a Cadillac.

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't it be great if Chevy extended it's powertrain warranty a little longer?

Suburban
By shayes

2002 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle we have traveled many places in this vehicle and have had only minor problems. We have replaced the fuel pump and u-joints. This is a great vehicle my husband has a 2001 he has 293453 miles and only replaced the alternator. This is our third Suburban and we will be buying another Suburban soon.

Favorite Features

Room, ride handling on the road in all weather conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage and equip with eye glass compartment like the 1997's were.