2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

2002 Suburban Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Sort Reviews by

Love My Suburban
By jcam

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Suburban. With 80,000 miles on it, it has cost me less in maintenance than my Honda scooter with 4k. Be prepared for the gas bill, but be pleasantly surprised by the lack of maintenance cost. I do regular oil changes, have changed tires twice, and just got my first brake job. I love my 'burban. It's about to haul me, my wife and our two dogs on a three week camping trip across the country, and I have no worries about it's performance. Buy American! You wont be disappointed!!!

Favorite Features

Tight turning, exceptionally smooth ride, tons of space, safety, low maintenance cost.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy and lower price point.

Great truck, reliable
By peter m

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck for us over the years, and I want to thank Chevy for building it. It has had a few mechanical issues, (replaced starter, air conditioning unit), but by and large we are still pleased after 7 years, 131,000miles. My wife drives it and loves it. She doesn't look forward to a new car, in fact, content to drive this one until it dies.

Favorite Features

Safety- my wife and kids are as safe in this vehicle as any I can put them in. Capacity- 3 rows plus cargo room. Reliability- my wife and kids have never been stuck on the road somewhere. Ride- This car rides like a Cadillac.

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't it be great if Chevy extended it's powertrain warranty a little longer?

Suburban
By shayes

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle we have traveled many places in this vehicle and have had only minor problems. We have replaced the fuel pump and u-joints. This is a great vehicle my husband has a 2001 he has 293453 miles and only replaced the alternator. This is our third Suburban and we will be buying another Suburban soon.

Favorite Features

Room, ride handling on the road in all weather conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage and equip with eye glass compartment like the 1997's were.

A Comfortable Workhorse
By AC

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been great for me. Lots of highway miles every weekend and it has been - no issues except cosmetic, normal wear and tear.

Favorite Features

Power and room

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic on the grille and bumpers

Great Family SUV
By Great Family vehicle

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle with the birth of our first child (three children later) and it has been all we have needed as a family vehicle. I refuse to do the mini-van even though gas mileage would be better but, I wouldn't change our decision for a second. 80k miles later and it still starts and runs like the first day we bought it. Just keep up with regular maintance and I plan to drive it till it dies.

Favorite Features

Spacious room, good handling for a big vehicle (good turning radius), reliability, and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I don't think they offered it when I bought it but, steering wheel controls (ie; for the radio) would have made it perfect.

Safety First
By Safety First

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So I bought this used Suburban about 3 months ago with about 66000 miles on it. I was looking forward to many years, but it only lasted 3 months. A lady ran a red light, and I hit her Tahoe in the side at 55 MPH. I can't say enough about this truck. I hit the other lady so hard that one of my headlights was stuck in the side of her car, yet I was not hurt at all. I was able to walk around right after the accident. Sure I was sore the next week from the force of the impact, but considering how hard the impact was I am amazed at how my lack of injury. I will definately be buying another one. I know that I am safe in this vehicle. Thanks GM!

Favorite Features

Collision safety, tons of space, and fun to drive, inside is very comfortable even though I have back problems. Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage is always nice, but getting 15+ around town with a heavy foot isn't bad for something this big. Split 3rd row seat, or fold away would be nice.

Convinced
By kle361

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was disappointed to buy the 2WD but price range dictated. Didn't really want anything this large, but had twins on the way, and it was the only vehicle large enough to fit my double- stroller without it toppling out on me. With 4 older kids, space for cargo was definitely a concern, too. Bought vehicle used with about 40K. Added 17" offroad tires, really made a difference in handling. Put over 50K on it in the year that I owned it, and the only issue I had was the a/c went out at about 110K miles. Loved the ride and the roominess. Several TX to FL trips were comfortable, even with 6 kids along! Will always buy Suburbans if I can afford it!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, lumbar control, roomy interior, leather, roomy cargo, dual a/c, second row headphones so kids could listen to CD while I listened to the radio... just about everything about the vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage... but I knew it going in. I still got about the same mileage as my husband got in his 2005 Chevy truck! Would have liked backup sensors.

Burb
By Barry

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive Ford trucks at work and this SUV blows Ford out of the water! I love it! Chevy's got me hooked. My F250 needs about 4 lanes to do a u-turn. My Burb needs like a two lane road and my outside tire will barely be off the road. It is so much more comfortable than the Fords. We test drove Expeditions and the Burb was no comparison

High Quality Large SUV
By kge

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We drive a lot. First Suburban we've owned, and won't be the last. Avg 19 mpg hwy and 16 city in over 100,000 miles. The only mechanical failure was the catalytic converter stopped up after 80,000. Took 3 weeks for the experts to figure the problem. If it were not for that, I'd give this truck all 10's. Acres of space, smooth ride. We owned 2 Windstar vans previously and this truck is far better in looks, driveablility, and maintainence. The vans were better on gas though.

Favorite Features

Size, ride, and easy handling.

Great all around family car
By austin

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my Suburban for 2 years. It's a truly great vehicle for hauling the family around. The gas mileage is around 15 city/18 highway. Chevy has come along way with the Suburbans. I had to replace the A/C at 50k miles, I have a 100k warranty, so it wasn't too bad.

Favorite Features

Engine power. 5 captain's chairs. Auto A/C front and back. Good radio sound. Great turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls on the steering wheel would have been nice. Otherwise, it's close to perfect!