Used 2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Surprise! Great gas mileage
By KimWithTwins

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Everyone I talk to groans when they think of a Suburban and the gas it must use. Well, I want to set the record straight that I get 17-20 mpg, and most of the time 18mpg. I'm an at- home Mom, and my driving is a combo of freeway and side streets. It's been super reliable, and my dealer threw in free oil changes for life, which I love.

Favorite Features

The storage! I can fit family and friends and still have room for everyone's stuff. I enjoy the leather seats, the seat warmers, the third row.

Hate to see you go...
By Elaine Braden

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Suburban. It seems to work for erverything except fuel economy. I have enjoyed my car for five years. I expected to keep it longer. At this time the reliability is not doing well. At 90k I lost the transmission. I have felt extremely safe in this large vehicle.

Favorite Features

The comfort of the drivers seat. This is a great vehicle for a long drive. I have the rear buckets and a coleman ice chest is great for the road. Fits right between the two rear bucket seats. Love the leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Wish mine had a longer lasting transmission. Also it would be a big imporvement to have fold flat third seat instead of removal.

2001 Suburban
By D. Rigsby

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Suburban and I have loved all three, keeping all until well over 100000 miles. There is significant improvement in this model's drive train over my 1990 model. However, the interior is not worthy of the price of the vehicle. I did not opt for leather seats. The fabric is worn in rather strange places due to tightness of fit and several plastic molding on the inside have either come off, or have broken when something was dropped on the piece. The latch for the rear fold down broke after only 3 years and the gray is coming off the dash. I love the convenience and the haulability of people, dogs and other stuff. Have Suburban, will travel!

Favorite Features

Seating arrangements, hauling capability. Pulls a trailer with no effort at all. Four wheel drive and high ground clearance gets me on and off muddy roads frequently.

Suggested Improvements

Better grade plastic inside and better upholstery and carpet. Improved fuel economy would be appreciated.

Goes in snow
By VailMtnCar

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

In 135K commercial use only repair was a window motor. Did get it stuck once also (operator-error). Rides like a dream with tons of room but still gets 17mpg. Just bought another one for the fleet. Its a lot of car for 14K in the used market.

Favorite Features

Great ride and leather is nice. Climate control and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Possiblly consider the 6 liter engine for a little extra go here in the mountains.

01 Suburban Review
By kbdelong

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have not owned it very long, but already love the vehicle. I have two grown teenaged daughters, my wife, myself and an invalid mother-in-law that is with us a great deal. The Suburban gives us all the room we need to transport everyone. We just got back from a beach vacation in the truck, and I am here to say I am furthur impressed with the load capability and comfort. Also, it gets approximately 18 mpg on the highway. I have friends that have had them for several years. and I wish I had not hesitated to finally purchase one. I will looking to purchase a new one by next year

Favorite Features

Drivability is great. The view from inside the cab is great. it's very comfortable for long trips, and has plenty of carry space, especially with the luggage rack and trailer hitch.

Suggested Improvements

DVD player location. Needs little more space in floorboard for 3rd row seating. The rear passenger radio/headset panel is in a bad place and is constantly being sat on or otherwise pressed into the console