2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

1500 4dr SUV (5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Great big family on the move vehicle
By flfamonthegogo on 01/23/15 10:08 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 suburban in 2003 with fairly low miles, after our 4th son was born and we realized that we were not 'van people'. We have almost 300,000 miles on it!! We have had to get the transmission rebuilt twice, and the fuel pump replace. It leaks oil, and coolant. We live in Florida, so we just use water....nothing freezes here . :) I get regular maintenance on it, and keep the tires good. It does eat some gas, but truly it isn't as bad as it could be. We can go from Tampa-Daytona and back on a tank, with spare to run all over Daytona. And Tampa-Atlanta is just over a tank each way. It takes awhile to heat up now (on cold mornings) but it's also old.

Great SUV
By Sergio on 05/01/10 13:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new and it has been great. It has 85,000 miles and only major repair has been a leaking water pump. It is great for long trips with plenty of room for the family, baggage and equipment.

Will have another!
By mr. bill on 02/12/10 20:29 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After eight year I think we got our money's worth! Great people mover,car hauler,swim taxi. My wife loves this suv and we will buy another one. Very few repairs, just maintain it. Did I say great car.

We luv our bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By David&Anesha Wossne on 03/19/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We had to get a bigger vehicle (I was pregnant)so we traded in our Jag Vand Plas for a used 2001 "Bus" with 117,000mls. We can't tell you how much we luv our "Bus" We added 3 TV'S for the kids, Navigation for me. It is great for Soccer and other sport activities for the family,we travel a lot and it has great as mileage (16-18) We hardly drive our other vehicles except for work. When the engine falls out we'll get another used "Bus"

Best vehicle ever owned
By mickey on 09/06/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the Suburban fully loaded brand new. Have over 144,000 miles on it the no major repairs or wrecks smoother than an Acura MDX. The traction control system works over the top good it has a locking differential. The best invention since heated since also in the suburban. The seats still have eneough cushion rebound to seat comfortably. The interior color is tan and well colored and and the exterior color is white, tough and fade proof

Impressed by Chevrolet. It's about time!
By Zuniga on 06/17/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was woried at first about owning an SUV and its reliability from Chvey. All I can say is wo. !I love this SUV! No problems what so ever that set me back. Very reliable. Great size, comfort, and can haul no problem.

Best SUV and a low cost to operate
By Tom the salesman on 05/02/08 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Suburban was purchased used in 2001. The car had 18,000 miles when purchased. I use this car for work since the day I purchsed it. My average gas millage is a poor 16mpg but concidering the low maintenance cost to operate I feel Like I get 40mpg. The car has 428,000 miles and rides like a new car. Here is a list of my repairs. 160K first tune up done by myself. 210k & 400k a fuel pump gave out (850.00 ea. installed). At 250K the Air conditioner was replaced. At 340,000 I replace engine with a used 60K mile engine installed for 1,200.00. At 360K trans died (800.00 used and installed) Replaced back shocks and at 400,000 replaced rear rodors and pads, front rotor is original.

Love the Burb
By Happy burb in So CA on 11/15/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We've owned this Sub since moving up from a Tahoe. Ours has been flawless for hauling kids, gear and even towing a 20' trailer full of off road vehicles. The K&N intake and a superchips programmer are a must upgrade and it doesn't need a loud exhaust because we love to hear the soundtracks of the DVDs. Our kids and their friends love it. I think we'll keep this one even after we get my wife a new one.

Surprise! Great gas mileage
By KimWithTwins on 02/06/06 17:08 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Everyone I talk to groans when they think of a Suburban and the gas it must use. Well, I want to set the record straight that I get 17-20 mpg, and most of the time 18mpg. I'm an at- home Mom, and my driving is a combo of freeway and side streets. It's been super reliable, and my dealer threw in free oil changes for life, which I love.

Hate to see you go...
By Elaine Braden on 01/07/06 02:07 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Suburban. It seems to work for erverything except fuel economy. I have enjoyed my car for five years. I expected to keep it longer. At this time the reliability is not doing well. At 90k I lost the transmission. I have felt extremely safe in this large vehicle.